Megasquirt will be ordered next month... and Toyota Silvertop 20v AE101 ITB's fitted with it in due course.
That doesn't sound cheap.
It does sound interesting though. Are you putting knock on it, too?
Got hold of the bodies with manifold, injectors and gubbins for £110. Bore spacing is only 0.5mm off VW, so hopefully I'll be able to make up a thick adaptor plate for the stud pattern, and use the Toyota manifold... although I still haven't got round to holding the manifold up to a bare head to compare closely. Would be great to negate the need for a custom manifold tho. Also, the 'yota manifold has all sorts of vacuums coming off it, evenly distributed over all 4 ports - so a brake servo doesn't have to unbalance number 4.
I won't be putting knock on it, because then it won't be cheap

(unless a cheap workable solution presents itself to me!)