Author Topic: cylinder head  (Read 1053 times)

Offline bosco

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 212
cylinder head
« on: 02 September 2010, 08:18 »
would a mk3 gti 8v head fit on a mk2 1.6?
1990 mk2 1.6 daily
1990 20v turbo project learning as I go

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: cylinder head
« Reply #1 on: 02 September 2010, 10:12 »
it will bolt on but is no good for you becasue the inlet manifold face is different, so you couldnt fit your old inlet + carb. if you converted the whole car to mk3 2.0 8v injection system you could make it work, but i dont think you would want to do that  :grin:

I'm guessing you just want a nicer head for a bit more power? if so, MK2 GTI head is what you want. Or 1.8 injection MK1/cabrio/Scirocco, just mind the older ones have solid tappet heads, no big deal but just be aware the cams differ. if you get the cam with thee head no problem, if not you'll need to make sure the cam you get is suitable for the tappet type in the head you fit
« Last Edit: 02 September 2010, 10:14 by rubjonny »
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline bosco

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 212
Re: cylinder head
« Reply #2 on: 02 September 2010, 10:51 »
8v or 16v?
1990 mk2 1.6 daily
1990 20v turbo project learning as I go

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: cylinder head
« Reply #3 on: 02 September 2010, 11:00 »
8v or 16v?

8V, as the 16v will not fit without major work.