Author Topic: alternator readings poss faulty?  (Read 1811 times)

Offline Bigdunc

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 344
alternator readings poss faulty?
« on: 23 August 2010, 18:11 »
tested my alternator, got some low readings i been told it should be about 14v readings im getting are

Engine running: 13.78v
Engine Off: 13.10v

guessing alternator is not working properly?

Offline oakgreengolf

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,304
  • CAR FOR SALE PM FOR FURTHER INFO
Re: alternator readings poss faulty?
« Reply #1 on: 23 August 2010, 18:18 »
It will be around 14v running and 12v when off. If your not having any issues with you battery I'd just leave it

Offline Bigdunc

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 344
Re: alternator readings poss faulty?
« Reply #2 on: 23 August 2010, 18:23 »
i just replaced the battery, as old one was on its last legs, are them readings ok or would u look in to poss alternator replacment? i have checked and its under a year old so i can take it back if i need to.

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: alternator readings poss faulty?
« Reply #3 on: 24 August 2010, 08:55 »
where are you testing this, across the battery terminals? whats the reading direct at the alternator stud?
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Bigdunc

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 344
Re: alternator readings poss faulty?
« Reply #4 on: 24 August 2010, 09:44 »
The readings are from bettery terminals, I tried from alt but for some reason my multimeter didn't pick anything up, gonna get a new multimeter or even one of them battery/alt testers I think.

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: alternator readings poss faulty?
« Reply #5 on: 25 August 2010, 13:13 »
Just bear in mind, if you remove the +ve from the alternator to test, it won't give an accurate value.

The figures you have stated sound well within normal limits.

It might be worth asking why you are testing the alternator in the first place?

Offline Bigdunc

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 344
Re: alternator readings poss faulty?
« Reply #6 on: 28 August 2010, 18:06 »
I first thought it was that as when got car the bettery was jacketed and car always struggled to start, after changing battery still struggling to start, now starting to think starter motor, conections to it look pritty dirty and could prob do with wacking on new ends or cleaning old with wet and dry, been quoted new starter from work for £43 so worst case I'll change it:)

Offline raferackstraw

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 904
Re: alternator readings poss faulty?
« Reply #7 on: 28 August 2010, 18:24 »
clean up all the terminals to starter motor and make sure all your engine earths are cleaned as well, try these b4 getting a starter motor

wayne gardner smokes one rothmans too many
500cc 2stroke bad for ya health

Offline Bigdunc

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 344
Re: alternator readings poss faulty?
« Reply #8 on: 28 August 2010, 20:55 »
im going to be doing this tomorrow or monday when got a day off, also im having problems with central locking so im guessing there is a bad earth someware