Author Topic: MK 11 Wishbones  (Read 1612 times)

Offline Kiz

  • Just got here
  • *
  • Posts: 8
MK 11 Wishbones
« on: 03 August 2010, 19:32 »
Hi Guys,
            just fitted a almost new front sub-frame, it fitted no problem, I also fitted new wishbones and bottom ball joints. While going around an island i noticed the tyres screeching. i measured the wheels for alignment, it was apparent the track required adjusting, i set them parallel which stopped the screeching, but what concerned me was how much i had to adjust the track rod, this was around 8mm, on the new wishbone the ball joint holes are elongated could this be whats caused it. Any information would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Kiz.
« Last Edit: 07 August 2010, 09:51 by Kiz »

VeeDubGTI16v

  • Guest
Re: MK 11 Wishbones
« Reply #1 on: 03 August 2010, 19:36 »
the ball joint holes would have been elongated on your old ones as well, there is a fair bit of movement in them!

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: MK 11 Wishbones
« Reply #2 on: 04 August 2010, 08:49 »
yeah you either set ball joints in the same spot on the old wishbone, or if fitting new bones the ball joint should be fitted in the middle of the elongated holes. were the shock bolts removed? if so the camber may be out as well
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Kiz

  • Just got here
  • *
  • Posts: 8
Re: MK 11 Wishbones
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2010, 10:02 »
Hi Guys, thanks for your replies, I tried adjusting the bottom ball joint it made the steering feel worse so i took the car back to my mates garage, we took the wishbones off and measured them to another new set, this answered my problem the one's I fitted were 4mm longer and that was with the ball joint pushed against the stop causing the toe out of 8mm. Now with the correct wishbones fitted and the tracking adjusted back to it's original position the steering feels as it should. 

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: MK 11 Wishbones
« Reply #4 on: 07 August 2010, 16:47 »
Would it not have been easier to just have the tracking done vs. removing the wishbones?

VeeDubGTI16v

  • Guest
Re: MK 11 Wishbones
« Reply #5 on: 07 August 2010, 19:36 »
what car were the wrong wishbones for?

Offline Kiz

  • Just got here
  • *
  • Posts: 8
Re: MK 11 Wishbones
« Reply #6 on: 09 August 2010, 19:13 »
I did adjust the tracking but it just didn't feel right, it must have effected the castor angle, the car is a 1990 Golf GTI 8V. I don't have a clue what the wishbones should fit, a friend got them for me and he no longer works at the place.
« Last Edit: 09 August 2010, 19:17 by Kiz »