Author Topic: Doing a matrix change  (Read 2443 times)

Offline rob.043

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 496
Re: Doing a matrix change
« Reply #10 on: 31 July 2010, 21:11 »
I just started a matrix change...  I pre soaked the bulkhead studs with WD40, and when I went to loosen them they made no effort to play along. With little effort the studs just spun, very easily I thought. Gutted. If I can cut them out, can i easily put a bolt in the air box to fix through the bulkhead? Or should I start looking for a replacement air box?

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Doing a matrix change
« Reply #11 on: 31 July 2010, 21:22 »
When we did ours we got the top one off but the bottom just spun like yours...

We left it in place and just used the top bolt to secure it... The unit is so tightly held in place inside the car I dont think they really make much differance so IMO just leave them in situ and use them as a locating/guide pins...

As I say thats just my opinion...

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline rob.043

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 496
Re: Doing a matrix change
« Reply #12 on: 01 August 2010, 18:55 »
Got the studs off!! WOO!  Trusty mole-grips held the end of the stud, while a spanner worked the nut off. All in fine condition for re-use too! Managed to get the matrix out with relative ease using the guide's linked above, with only a couple of small abuse marks on my hands! Got to source a replacement adjuster cable for a broken one.... Then I can have a go at getting those lovely clips back on....