Author Topic: Top suspension strut bush  (Read 896 times)

Offline Harooshum

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 148
Top suspension strut bush
« on: 21 August 2009, 12:07 »
Failed MOT today - they say my "Nearside front upper shock absorber has an excessively worn rubber bush".

I can find a new bush, but im not sure if this is something I can fix in my driveway?  I dont have  spring compressor - can anyone advise please...

h.

Offline topher

  • Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 9,557
  • fully functioning
Re: Top suspension strut bush
« Reply #1 on: 21 August 2009, 12:23 »
there is a way to change the top mounts without a spring compressor - it involves removing the top nut/cup with the car on the ground and using a smaller top nut (think it's from a passat) which allows you to keep the spring tightened down and slip the mount over the top of it once the car is jacked up. I posted a link to a 'how-to' guide for this in bobbarleys thread about his top mounts recently... try a search but if you have no joy i'll see if i can dig it out when i get home tonight.