GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: Shady Pioneer on 11 October 2008, 09:52

Title: Temp light comes on and flashes?
Post by: Shady Pioneer on 11 October 2008, 09:52
Yeah, so over the last couple of months it's been doing this. If I turn the engine off though it goes away and its fine for like 2 weeks and then it'll occasionally happen again.

My temp gauge is showing 90. It never goes over or under so maybe a dodgy sensor?
Title: Re: Temp light comes on and flashes?
Post by: Rmachines on 11 October 2008, 13:54
My car had overheated and the light doesnt even come on lol.   What sensor is that connected too?
Title: Re: Temp light comes on and flashes?
Post by: kells on 11 October 2008, 14:29
shady, have you checked the coolant level at all?
Title: Re: Temp light comes on and flashes?
Post by: spunkymonkey on 11 October 2008, 14:55
If the bottle has a sensor in it replace the bottle, only about a tenner from the dealer. I work at skoda and we change loads of these.
Title: Re: Temp light comes on and flashes?
Post by: boneybradley on 11 October 2008, 14:57
shady, have you checked the coolant level at all?

 :grin: :grin: :grin: :huh:

I would say the sensor if facked... the oil one's do similar too!!(and have made me some good money over the years :lipsrsealed:)
Title: Re: Temp light comes on and flashes?
Post by: kells on 11 October 2008, 16:20
bottle is alot more than a tenner too, try 30 quid ish for the mk 3 (Gti anyway), mk 4 ones are around 11 quid but thats a different story :kiss:
Title: Re: Temp light comes on and flashes?
Post by: Shady Pioneer on 11 October 2008, 17:38
No I haven't checked the coolant level, I'll do that first. That's the round bottle right?

My oil light flashes when I go round roundabouts too, and has a loud beeping noise when it does so, it's only when I'm doing it at speed.

It's not my oil being low though because I had a recent new rocker cover seal and for the past 2 months my oil has been the same level (on the dipstick where it's meant to be lol).
Title: Re: Temp light comes on and flashes?
Post by: ace on 11 October 2008, 17:50
with regards the oil light, probably need a new oil pressure switch. think this a farily common problem. mine went on my old gti, kept beeping over 2k rpm.

you can get the switch from ecp for about £10-£15
Title: Re: Temp light comes on and flashes?
Post by: kells on 11 October 2008, 17:54
round bottle yes. deffo check the levels first, should be between the min and max line when its cold
Title: Re: Temp light comes on and flashes?
Post by: Shady Pioneer on 14 October 2008, 13:38
Musta been my coolant level, considering there wasn't very much in there!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Title: Re: Temp light comes on and flashes?
Post by: kells on 14 October 2008, 13:41
Told ya :wink:  Boneybradley laughed when i mentioned this, but its the first thing to check especially if the light comes on when u hit the corners
Title: Re: Temp light comes on and flashes?
Post by: Shady Pioneer on 14 October 2008, 13:50
You were right, but bare in mind, it's my oil light that's flashes when I hit the corners, not the temp light...
Title: Re: Temp light comes on and flashes?
Post by: kells on 14 October 2008, 14:03
You were right, but bare in mind, it's my oil light that's flashes when I hit the corners, not the temp light...

Eh? well your post is titled "Temp light comes on and flashes?" hahahaha

its deffo the first thing to check anyhow. glad its sorted :smug: