GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: boneybradley on 04 September 2008, 19:52

Title: steering/suspension creaking issue.... Fixed!!
Post by: boneybradley on 04 September 2008, 19:52
Well my uber reliable golf is now starting to fall to pieces!! I have fitted my coilovers and new front wheel bearings and all was well.
then today as i was going out to a meet the steering has started to really creak (it sounds like something is cracking! and groaning!) but only when steering. straight ahead its fine and dosent do it when standing still and turning the wheel. I have had it in the air and nothing is loose and everything is tight and I cant locate the creak!!
Anyone else had similar issues or have an idea of what could be wrong! I will get the wheels of and it high in the air this weekend and will get right under her (just in case something i couldnt see has gone?)
Title: Re: steering issue.... whats wrong with it now!!
Post by: boneybradley on 05 January 2009, 18:49
Right I'm going to update this........The noise is back!! despite not fixing anything!!

I have had the car on the ramps and nothing is loose, theres no play anywhere and It wouldn't do the noise at the workshop!!  :angry:
but the noise is defo from the drivers side suspension (near where the bearing,shocker, driveshaft etc all meet!!)

idea's people before I kill it spend money on loads of pointless parts!

oh and to recap....it has new front bearings, coilovers, discs, a.r.b links and there is no play in the driveshafts!
Title: Re: steering/suspension creaking issue.... whats Still wrong with it now!!
Post by: cabbywothers on 05 January 2009, 19:33
i mate glad you brought this up cause i get the same on my car first i thought it was the wheels catching the inner arch liners but its not the only thing that looks abit dodgey is the anti roll bar bushes they look like they worn and moved slightly so waiting to get some time to change them and see if it is that
let me know if you find out what it is in the mean time
cheers
wothers
Title: Re: steering/suspension creaking issue.... whats Still wrong with it now!!
Post by: Wayne on 05 January 2009, 23:37
My guess is the coilovers, reason being mine are making a load of noises in the colder weather including creaking etc, it the springs I think.
Title: Re: steering/suspension creaking issue.... whats Still wrong with it now!!
Post by: kells on 05 January 2009, 23:51
my coilovers (jamex) have been on over a year now and seen 10k, not making any noises or anything....i suggest you check top mounts again, and the coilover spring to see if it is in place correct, also the adjuster rings as they can cross thread very very easy (what oftern causes siezing)

other than that, just do what you intend to do in your wanted ad
Title: Re: steering/suspension creaking issue.... whats Still wrong with it now!!
Post by: rubjonny on 06 January 2009, 11:35
I had a similar noise that took a while to track down, turned out the steering rack was moving about due to loose nuts on the driver side. Groaning noise was it moving about in the mounting bush.  Trouble with em is they're a total arse to reach!
Title: Re: steering/suspension creaking issue.... Fixed finally!!
Post by: boneybradley on 06 March 2009, 17:47
We'll i think i best say it...my creak issue has finally being sorted! and the culprit!!

(http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k165/boneybradley/DSCN5000.jpg)

If you look at the hub there is a big groove in the middle and this made the bearing get hot and the grease fail!! I knew the bearing was very easy to fit last time!! oh and its fixed my abs light too  :cool: (I guess the bearing was moving on the hub too much and making the ring move too and this was upsetting the sensor?)

I am happy as the car's is 100% quiet  :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: oh and tracking tommorrow as my local "good friendly" trye co have got a new floor level ramp  :cool:
Title: Re: steering/suspension creaking issue.... Fixed!!
Post by: Wayne on 06 March 2009, 21:44
That bearing was bad, good result you got it sorted.
Title: Re: steering/suspension creaking issue.... Fixed!!
Post by: Josho on 06 March 2009, 21:47
Good result. Glad for you mate. :wink:
Title: Re: steering/suspension creaking issue.... Fixed!!
Post by: boneybradley on 06 March 2009, 21:52
That bearing was bad, good result you got it sorted.

yep and its done under 3000 miles!! I knew when fitting it last year it should of needed pressing on more!!... the groove which covers half the hub is about 2mm deep and gave no play!  :shocked:
Title: Re: steering/suspension creaking issue.... Fixed!!
Post by: RobC on 13 May 2009, 20:42
have you still got the pic mate? what exactly did you fit, my golf seems to have the same symptons now just trying to find out what it could be
Title: Re: steering/suspension creaking issue.... Fixed!!
Post by: Adam on 13 May 2009, 20:55
Have you just fitted coilovers/springs?
Title: Re: steering/suspension creaking issue.... Fixed!!
Post by: RobC on 13 May 2009, 21:01
nope, its lowered on springs but that not a recent thing, was the hub/bearing problem coilover related then?
Title: Re: steering/suspension creaking issue.... Fixed!!
Post by: Adam on 13 May 2009, 21:04
Mine creaked like BBs but it ws because I had not fitted the bearing the correct way.
Title: Re: steering/suspension creaking issue.... Fixed!!
Post by: boneybradley on 13 May 2009, 21:10
nope, its lowered on springs but that not a recent thing, was the hub/bearing problem coilover related then?

wasnt related on mine!...I changed wheel bearings not long before the creak and everything was tight still, but when I removed the hub you could see the bearing had burned the seal. it passed an mot with the issue as everything was fine (at a main dealer too! but there was no odd movemenet on the bearing anywhere!). if you have similar issues I would remove the hub and check the bearing