GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Model specific boards => Golf mk4 => Topic started by: Dragon6 on 29 March 2008, 12:58
-
HI Guy`s never been in the mk4 section before had mk2`2s and other dubs for years.At the mo I have a mk2 16v and a mk3 Vr6 and love the smooth engine.I am thinking of getting a mk4 but not sure on which model to suit me.which are the better ones V5, V6 4mo`s, 1.8T`s ect in terms of living with day to day reliabilty power etc.Which model would be nice and smooth with nice grunt like my VR6? would the 1.8T be more peaky with the turbo than the V models? and what sort of difference is there with the V5 and V6 models why were both made? and lastly are the V models similar on running cost`s to my VR averaging around 28-32mpg..I would also buy and keep a standard example not buying 1.8T`s to chip/re map etc thanks a lot of any help pointing me in the right direction.. :smiley:
-
I think you'l be directed towards the 1.8T if im honest. Not just because they're great cars but because then you will be talked you into a remap, exhaust and so on :grin:
Jon
-
If you're insistent on a std car, then I'd recommend the V6 4M. It's thirsty, but the noise from the engine!! :cool: With the 4 wheel drive it has great traction, but it comes with a cost though - Some of the 204 horses get lost in the transmission!
The 1.8T can easily be tuned to 200-240 bhp (depending on variant/budget) & retain 35-40 mpg!! It's also a bit lighter so is more nimble throught the corners.
(Sorry V5 owners), but I wouldn't bother with this car. It's has either 150 or 170 bhp, 2WD & is fairly thirsty.
HTH :afro:
-
if you like your vr6 i suppose you should go for the mk4 v6 4motion :)
-
unless you're going to be tuning the engine get the V6
the V5 IMO is a pointless engine as it performs worst the the 1.8T and the GT TDI's the only good thing about the V5 is that they came with pretty much all the toys.
the V6 comes fully loaded and is the next best thing to a R32 the only problem with the V6 is the economy and they are going to cost more than the 1.8T
-
Cheers guys may look at a 1.8T first will steer clear of the V5 by the sound of it.I just prefer a standard engine for long term reliabilty just like to do regular oil changes and have a bit of fun when cars up to temp now and again and wouldnt want to buy a modified engine anyway.The Vr I have sounds cool when given a bit and is a super smooth flexible motor but wouldnt want a car any thirstier would imagine the V6 4mo is a bit worse thanks for the input chaps :smiley:
-
yh the v6 will probably drink more but they are quicker standard than the 1.8t
i thought about getting that model myself but really wanted a turbo car as i love the dump valves :P
-
I have the answer GT TDI :smiley:
-
Yep have thought of that one as well been in one and was very impressed...like the Eddie thingy by the way.. :smiley:
-
I could'nt keep up with a Mk3 VR6, but it did'nt leave me standing either. Mines a standard 150bhp and your VR6 is about 175bhp so you might find a standard 1.8t a bit disappointing?...unless your after a late model with 180bhp?
I think the 1.8t is more than capable of remaining reliable at 200bhp as Audi squeezed out 225 as standard so reliability should'nt be an issue if you get one remapped
-
Thanks for that I just like mid-range punch really not balls out speed.The VR was a good buy with very low miles and have been pleased with it.So thinking of a mk4 but with a similar feeling engine to replace our mk2 16v. I suppose its the old days of my youth blowing up R5 and RS turbos that put me of modifying engines but as you say if Audi tune it to 225hp then it`s a good reliable motor if tweaked a little..
-
NO chance of selling my V5 to you now :laugh: