GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: ian86 on 20 December 2006, 19:19

Title: heater matrix
Post by: ian86 on 20 December 2006, 19:19
yes winter has finaly come and my heater doesnt work :angry:. I was told by a mechanic when i had my cooling system repaired that my heater matrix was blocked.

I was just wondering if any1 else had experienced this and new what the best way to go about it was and what the easiest thing to do was?.

Thanks
Title: Re: heater matrix
Post by: T_J_G on 20 December 2006, 19:55
I've got no heaters either, i feel for you.  :laugh:

I'm hoping mines the bypass valve or something simple. Hope it doesn't come down to a new heater matrix....

Tim
Title: Re: heater matrix
Post by: ian86 on 20 December 2006, 20:01
Do you know how easy it is to do the bypass valve. Do you need to dismantle the dash or is it under the bonnet???
Title: Re: heater matrix
Post by: ed325i on 20 December 2006, 20:03
Are the pipes going to the matrix hot ?
It could be your heater valve.
Title: Re: heater matrix
Post by: ian86 on 20 December 2006, 20:06
I dont know i havnt checked, how can i tell if its the valve or not???
Title: Re: heater matrix
Post by: Uruk Hai on 20 December 2006, 20:22
If your heater's that bad you could try taking the bypass valves out or you could have a go at flushing the matrix out when I've done mine in the past I have allways flushed it the opposit way to the flow of the water. Personaly I would take out the bypass valves and see what that does, try this

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=31666.0
Title: Re: heater matrix
Post by: ian86 on 20 December 2006, 20:42
I don't know if i would be comfortable with removing a valve that vw had put there to be honest.
Title: Re: heater matrix
Post by: Uku on 20 December 2006, 22:58
well alot of us have done it with no ill effects , they were put in when the mk2 was first released after a matrix supposedly exploded on someone whilst driving , these valves dont do anything until the pressure reaches a certian amount and it then opens a bypass between the two valves , given the size of the bypass pipe it cant release that much pressure , also given that the matrix problems were far and few between , i put it down to the matrixes themselfs rather than the pressure , just think this , most cars dont have this and put out similar pressures as the mk2 golf , also ive not heard anyone who has done this mod say this has happened. the damage that can be caused by one of those valves failing is a damn sight worse than a possible matrix failure and leak , i wish id removed mine along time ago as im a history lesson in the blocked valve , mine got jammed due to a fragment of metal (from the metal coolant pipe which ive replaced) getting stuck in the plate that moves , this consiquently increased the system pressure as it couldnt circulate properly (the bypass valve only bypasses a small amount to reduce the pressure a little if working properly) which in turn blew my headgasket and wrecked the water pump :(.
the decision is yours ofc , just my personal experience to those who wonder why some of us do this mod.
Title: Re: heater matrix
Post by: Judderi on 21 December 2006, 12:14
I don't know if i would be comfortable with removing a valve that vw had put there to be honest.

Stay cold then see if we care.
Title: Re: heater matrix
Post by: NewStu on 21 December 2006, 12:17
here here.
Title: Re: heater matrix
Post by: ian86 on 21 December 2006, 15:58
well thanks for the understandin, lol. Well ihave just ordered a new bypass valve should be here saturday!
Title: Re: heater matrix
Post by: NewStu on 21 December 2006, 16:16
Sod the valves. Just cut them out and put a bit of 10mm copper pipe in their place. Belive me you wont be disapointed!
Title: Re: heater matrix
Post by: ian86 on 21 December 2006, 17:51
well i've already got the part comin now anyway so would be silly not to fit it as i've paid for it, lol. I just hope that sorts the problem and that its not my matrix thats gone. Probably try and blast that clean when i fit the new valve anyway.
Title: Re: heater matrix
Post by: sacvwgolf on 21 December 2006, 18:06
good for you i haven't replaced the bypass valve and i managed fine with hot air.
Title: Re: heater matrix
Post by: mattneck(Beavis) on 26 December 2006, 12:52
ian, how have you got on with the new valves? im still kind of sketchy on the total removal of valves idea, and the messign around and sheer laobur of doing the matrix is off putting also..

just wanna know if it's been any good to you repalcing it, caus I might take the same route  :smiley:
Title: Re: heater matrix
Post by: rubjonny on 27 December 2006, 10:30
The valves arnt a total fix for the matrix failing, I;ve seen plenty go on cars even with the valves fitted, and some that are still going strong which have never had the valves.

My GTI had them removed before I got it, and I've had it for a year with nothing but lovely toasty warm heaters :cool:

Replacing the matrix isn't that hard really, its just lots of messing about.  If you take your time and follow the instructions you'll get thru it no bother!  If I was to do it again tho I'd take the dash out!