GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: theombudsman on 30 August 2005, 16:52

Title: R.e. How much for a standard mk2 oak green gti?
Post by: theombudsman on 30 August 2005, 16:52
Hi Folks,

My 1991 Tornado Red is still going strong, but have had it a little while and am hankering after a change. Obviously am after another mk2 :) ... I want to see the wood for the trees on this one and am slightly perplexed by the "Oak Green Tax"

Could sometime indicate to me what I should fairly and realistically have to pay to get hold of a :

MK2 Golf GTI 16 Valve ... ideally late as possible 1991 / 1992
Oak Green
Standard fit big bumpers
3 Door
Full options pack + preferably having leather interior
Ideally somewhere about 100,000 miles
FSH and important completely standard+ unmodified.

This may sound like a tall order, but have always hankered after one of these pups and ... you know.. you only live once eh?

So what should I be looking at for one of these? Other thing is whether they 16valver is worth getting over the 8v... I must admit I have heard mixed reports... or am I opening up a tin of worms here.

All the best to you fine peeps.... I look forward to hearing back from you.

Anyone got one for sale?

Cheers

Ombudsman
Title: Re: R.e. How much for a standard mk2 oak green gti?
Post by: golfpro on 30 August 2005, 16:55
not picky are ya!  :wink:

good luck in findin what u want, may take a while but itl be worth it.
Title: Re: R.e. How much for a standard mk2 oak green gti?
Post by: tobz. on 30 August 2005, 17:03
Just to give you some idea I paid £3250 for mine last september with 94k on the clock.
No leather though, just the standard rainbow trim.
In march 2003 I paid £3050 for my previous oak green valver, that one was on an H plate.
I would say if you want one with the full spec you are looking for this would be realistic money to expect to pay. You can get a good one for £2k upwards but bodywork is the key and a real straight one will always fetch a higher price.
Title: Re: R.e. How much for a standard mk2 oak green gti?
Post by: theombudsman on 30 August 2005, 18:57
Thanks for the advice on price.

I thought that I would be having to look in the £2000 - £3500K bracket. I guess its unlikely that I would find one already fitted with the leather. But could track this down independently. I am not really much of a fan of the rainbow interior on the Oak Green's, and have seen a golf with the black leather interior and door trims. Looked really nice.

I'll start looking shortly for one and then sell my '91 8 valver when I have it. I think I'll swap over the leather steering wheel and the G60 winter wheels. Reckon that'll set it off well. I like the understated look on the Golfs.

Apart from this fine place... where else is a good place to have a look out for one. You know of any specialist older golf sellers / websites / mags?

Cheers

The Ombudsman

 
Title: Re: R.e. How much for a standard mk2 oak green gti?
Post by: Deefadog on 30 August 2005, 19:38
There is a place in southhapton i think, somewhere down on the coast, that restores them and sells them, comes with warranty and rebulit engine!

For the life of me i can't remember the name, but uncle google should know ;)
Title: Re: R.e. How much for a standard mk2 oak green gti?
Post by: fin170703 on 30 August 2005, 19:41
hi mate. back in April i brought my 5 door oak green gti with 120,00 , FSH, V. good condition, electrics , completely standard with absolutely no rust what so ever for the grand sum of £1,200. I had to travel 300 miles to get it though but i have never looked back. I think i got a bit of a bargain although i was after a car with lower miles
Title: Re: R.e. How much for a standard mk2 oak green gti?
Post by: tobz. on 31 August 2005, 10:38
You might be thinking of wagenwheels deefa???

Here's a few of the sites I used to check on a regular basis:

www.wagenwheels.co.uk
www.golfsgalore.com
www.volkswizard.co.uk
http://www.supergolfs.co.uk/default.asp
http://www.performancevwmag.com/

Good luck finding what you want, it took me just over a year of searching on a daily basis to find mine. In the end I found it on the autotrader website.
Title: Re: R.e. How much for a standard mk2 oak green gti?
Post by: Deefadog on 31 August 2005, 10:42
Thats the one tobz!

good link added to favs ;)
Title: Re: R.e. How much for a standard mk2 oak green gti?
Post by: theombudsman on 31 August 2005, 10:52
thanks for the links and advice there dudes. Ta.