GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: Horney on 26 August 2005, 10:25

Title: I want a back box....
Post by: Horney on 26 August 2005, 10:25
..... but where to get one and which one?

I'm after something that sounds a bit fruity but isn't too kev and has nice tailpipes and not some huge bore stick your head up it tytpe affair. Also this is for a small bumper MKII so I don't want anything that's going to stick out miles.

Your thoughts and links folks!

Nick

Title: Re: I want a back box....
Post by: 92 rocks on 26 August 2005, 12:03
just remove one of the existing boxes and have sleeve made...
Title: Re: I want a back box....
Post by: Horney on 26 August 2005, 12:16
I'm thinking of popping into a an exhaust place in basingstoke who do powerflow stuff to see on prices for a custom one.

ANyone got anything second hand that I may be interested in?

Nick
Title: Re: I want a back box....
Post by: ...joe on 26 August 2005, 17:35
i might have soon, mine is for a small bumper but i have big bumpers, been meaning to change it for ages now but i love the shape! its a square oval that fills the aperture nicely. i'll let you know what i'm doing in the next few days if your interested.
Title: Re: I want a back box....
Post by: wellfan on 28 August 2005, 17:35
I have a brand new stainlees steel back box. See my other post regarding sale advise. http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=26393.0
I may be selling it along with my car and a load of other new and used parts. If you are interested I'll take a photo of it and post it later. It is for a small bumper 8 valve.
Title: Re: I want a back box....
Post by: Deefadog on 28 August 2005, 19:14
I have a scorpian DTM back box, the upswept twin tail type, pretty good nick, only want £30 for it! I am down south wales though, no idea what the postage would be?
Title: Re: I want a back box....
Post by: dubslug on 30 August 2005, 08:13
horney i wouldnt use the cowboys in basingstoke, they welded an exhaust hanger to someones fuel tanl and then wondered why it set on fit, ive heard powerflow down southampton way are quiet good though
rik
Title: Re: I want a back box....
Post by: dubslug on 30 August 2005, 08:15
of course i mean tank not tanl and fire not fit, sorry still a bit hung over
Title: Re: I want a back box....
Post by: Horney on 30 August 2005, 09:09
Cheers guys!

Well I went to powerflow and they were proper expensive so decided to give that a miss.

Joe I'm interested let me know what you decide to do.

Nick
Title: Re: I want a back box....
Post by: dubslug on 30 August 2005, 13:04
horney aint u reading way??
as im just down in basingstoke, we seem to have loads of us this way
Title: Re: I want a back box....
Post by: Horney on 30 August 2005, 13:22
Hey dude,

I'm in Henley at the moment but me and the missus are looking to buy a place in Basingstoke as it's where she lives and works. I hate my job so I'm happy to up sticks and move.

Nick
Title: Re: I want a back box....
Post by: rubjonny on 30 August 2005, 13:44
If you're moving to Basingstoke drop me a line as I'll soon have a free std backbox when I pull my finger out & fit my new one.  Only prob is the rear hanger has snapped off but I have an ingenious mounting solution (if I do say so myself) that will be offered with the backbox free of charge :grin:
Title: Re: I want a back box....
Post by: dubslug on 30 August 2005, 23:48
cool that will be two of us in basingstoke then, but no nicking all the spare parts of the scrap cars lol
Title: Re: I want a back box....
Post by: Horney on 31 August 2005, 09:21
I'll keep an eye out for you. I'm off down to Brighton Hill tonight to look at a place with the missus.

Nick
Title: Re: I want a back box....
Post by: rubjonny on 31 August 2005, 09:50
Theres an awesome scrappy near by in Wokingham, they've got 2 GTIs and 3 lower MK2s in at the moment, as well as about 5 Audis, 4 Passats etc.  Even have a proper toilet with a working sink, even have swafega! Luxury  :grin:
Title: Re: I want a back box....
Post by: Horney on 31 August 2005, 10:33
Cool I'll have to check them out! THey got any minis in there?

NIck
Title: Re: I want a back box....
Post by: rubjonny on 31 August 2005, 11:11
I didn't see any, but then I'm not really looking for that kind of thing ;)

Loads of Rovers in there too, can't think why though :grin:
Title: Re: I want a back box....
Post by: dubslug on 31 August 2005, 12:20
is that the a4 scrapyard or wot ever its called??
got a feeling mines gonna end up there soon if it dont start working
Title: Re: I want a back box....
Post by: rubjonny on 31 August 2005, 12:31
Yea A1 I think its called, they film 'scrapheap challenge' there :grin:

Place has been done up recently, load of new tarmac, toilets, plumbing, double glazing for the office etc.  They just bought one of them really nice tool chests filled with brand new tools, mmmm shiny :)
Title: Re: I want a back box....
Post by: dubslug on 31 August 2005, 12:38
thats it a1, when i went there last the place looked so small, looked liked he had sold of most of the land, dont spose u can remember wot colour the cars wre??
Title: Re: I want a back box....
Post by: rubjonny on 31 August 2005, 12:44
Theres a red 3dr MK2 ryder with a 1.6 or 1.8 carbed lump in it, a helios blue 5dr MK2 GTI 8v, a white 3dr MK2 GTI 8v and 2 1.3 5 door MK2s in that horrble dark blue only the low spec models got :)

All have the 90 spec doors apart from the 2 1.3 ones :)
Title: Re: I want a back box....
Post by: dubslug on 31 August 2005, 22:12
cheers mate will go see wot the 5door gti roof lining is like if i ever fix the slug
Title: Re: I want a back box....
Post by: Horney on 01 September 2005, 08:49
Well we went and looked at the place in Brighton Hill and We're putting in an offer! Look out Basingstoke here I come!
Title: Re: I want a back box....
Post by: dubslug on 01 September 2005, 09:54
nice one, wot road is that in brighton hill???
used to hang out there in my younger days (he says at the old age of 23)
Title: Re: I want a back box....
Post by: Horney on 01 September 2005, 10:04
Bach Close. It's just near the community centre.

Nick
Title: Re: I want a back box....
Post by: dubslug on 01 September 2005, 10:14
not heard of it but its gonna be cool if u get it, will be able to blag u for help when i screw things up lol
Title: Re: I want a back box....
Post by: Horney on 01 September 2005, 10:23
No worries. I'm not a golf expert yet but I'm a pretty good mechanic and make brilliant cups of tea!

I've sold my mini so I now want a new toy and I'm thinking of getting a MKI Gti to go with the MKII. Just gotta persuade the missus it's a good idea as the campa van has been knocked on the head!

Nick
Title: Re: I want a back box....
Post by: rubjonny on 01 September 2005, 10:26
Nice one, give me a shout if you need anything, I have enough random bits in me garage to start my own scrappy I recon :grin:
Title: Re: I want a back box....
Post by: dubslug on 01 September 2005, 10:29
and tell her any help u need ill gladly help in anyway i can.
rub i need a new spark mine has done a runner from my car so it wont start, boy is it doing my head in now
Title: Re: I want a back box....
Post by: Horney on 01 September 2005, 12:35
Well we've had the offer accepted and the ball is rolling. I think we'll have to have a Basingstoke GolfGTi.co.uk meet up at somepoint to show off our cars and induldge in som e mutual back slapping!

I take the white GTi in that scrappy is a small bumper model? If so if one of you guys are going fancy nabbing the front bumper for me or removing the red stripe as I am missing mine and it takes away some of the GTiness of my baby!

Nick
Title: Re: I want a back box....
Post by: rubjonny on 01 September 2005, 12:37
bumper is long gone, it had a big bumper conversion anyway.  If I see a red sripe one I'll pilfer it for you  :grin:
Title: Re: I want a back box....
Post by: Horney on 01 September 2005, 12:40
CHeers mate. I'm actually toying with big bumpering mine but I kinda like the small bumper old school look. The problem is every golf owner asks me when I'm getting some as if having small bumpers is a styling no no!

Nick
Title: Re: I want a back box....
Post by: Organisys on 01 September 2005, 12:51
Now this A1 Breakers sounds interesting, not too far from me either. Where exactly is it?

Ta.
Title: Re: I want a back box....
Post by: rubjonny on 01 September 2005, 13:18
Don't be silly, small bumpers can look just as good as big IMO!  If you're going big make sure you get all the rubbing strips etc to go with it, big bumpers with the old rubbing strips just looks gash :)
Title: Re: I want a back box....
Post by: Horney on 01 September 2005, 14:19
Hummmm that's all well and good except my doors are starting to bubble under the rubbing strips so lota of repainting would be required and that's muchos $$$$$

Nick
Title: Re: I want a back box....
Post by: Horney on 01 September 2005, 14:20
THis is what she look slike at the moment. As you can see a new front valance is required after a slight wjoopsie with a rock! You can also see my missing red stripe.

(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/Horney_mini/NewLights2.jpg)

Nick