GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: Judderi on 09 August 2005, 10:10
-
Right my tappets and cam chain are noisey. Ive got a new polished set of intake manifolds and rocker cover to fit, so thought i may as well do the chain and tappets while im there. The only problem is i have never done either job and have no idea what im doing. Am i right in thinking the tappets are under the rocker cover and the head does not need to be removed? Anyone got any instructions as i dont own a haynes yet. Do you think its a job i can do myself? I can do pretty much anything on a car but have never tackled internals of engines and gearboxes. So im a bit scared if i break anything.
-
Anyone? :cry:
-
You can do it without removing the head, the tappets are under your camshafts so you need to remove em both before you can do the tappets.
Take out spark plug #1 and turn the engine over by hand with a spanner on the camshaft sproket until you get to TDC # Piston 1. I found I got even resistance turning it, then it would 'jump' to TDC & piston 1. Double check by shining a torch down the hole or putting something soft like a dowl rod down it so you can see the piston reach the top of its travel.
Then put loads of tipex marks on all the sprokets & timing belt so you can put it back on the same way it came off, remove the valve cover and note the position of the cams, & mark the sprokets & chain. Then take out the camshafts, you need the Haynes for this as you need to loosen them progressively, PM me and I'll send u a PDF version :)
Then its a case of puting the cams back in, line em up & transfer the marks from the old chain to the new one. Nothing else should have moved, but you still have the timing belt marks you can use to check :)
-
I think i follow that. Is TDC Top Dead Centre? Could you email me that pdf please. Think i will buy a haynes when i buy the other parts.
-
Yeah top dead centre :)
-
everything is already marked for you!!
top & bottom pulley, plus the 2 cam chain wheels all have TDC marks on them
-
Yeah I know, but I mean mark the belts & chains in relation to the sprockets/gears. Gives u an extra point of reference when bolting it all back together is all :)