GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: dubstar9 on 08 July 2012, 17:52

Title: Fitting US Spec bumper marker lights
Post by: dubstar9 on 08 July 2012, 17:52
Bored today so I got the jigsaw out on a bumper I picked up yesterday and digged out the marker lights I brought a few weeks back.

I had already made a template using the marker light as shown.

(http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg589/dubstar9/P1010239.jpg)

Using this and position it on one side of the bumper I then traced the wheel arch curve and the swage line to gain a horizontal and position mark so both lamps are exactly the same both sides.

I then got out the orbital sander and cleaned up both areas and using a red bic pen I marker out the shape on both cleaned areas. Jigsaw time!!!

Slowly cutting and trying not to cut through side mounting brackets, best to drill a starter hole towards the front of the light cutout area and jigsaw towards each corner so that when you cut along the outer lines you have somewhere to aim for and makes it easier to remove each segment.

I haven't bonded them in yet but this will allow me to tidy up the edges as jigsaws are a little random with plastic when your trying not to cut whats behind!!!

(http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg589/dubstar9/P1010256.jpg)

(http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg589/dubstar9/P1010257.jpg)
Title: Re: Fitting US Spec bumper marker lights
Post by: tdi_blu on 09 July 2012, 08:28
Good work mate I had this done to my own car not a mk3 a mk4 on the rub strip I didnt actually fancey doing it so fair play for doing yours sure my painter who done mine used a really sharp blade.I then used a side reapter wireing and bulb holder and wired them of my side lights works a treat.
Title: Re: Fitting US Spec bumper marker lights
Post by: Gash on 09 July 2012, 10:03
pretty much how i did mine, except i used a soldering iron and burnt through the plastic haha
Title: Re: Fitting US Spec bumper marker lights
Post by: dubstar9 on 09 July 2012, 13:36
Bet everyone has a different way to cut their bumpers but as long as it works that fine :wink: