GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: fufflenarnia on 08 July 2012, 17:16

Title: 'ideal' oil temperature
Post by: fufflenarnia on 08 July 2012, 17:16
Hi all,

What oil temperature should I bed getting on mfa after a good run? My coolant temperature is a solid 90°c, but the oil temp is coming up at 130°c which seems a little high to me.

I have a mk3 2.0 8v agg, '96.

Thanks,

Steve
Title: Re: 'ideal' oil temperature
Post by: itavaltalainen on 08 July 2012, 17:49
130 degrees?
Does your AGG have a water/oil heat exchanger? Where is the temp sensor, original MFA?
I have not managed to get my 2E much above 100, and that with pedal down going full speed in a fully loaded car on the german motorway.
Title: Re: 'ideal' oil temperature
Post by: fufflenarnia on 08 July 2012, 17:56
Yes, it has the oil/water heat exchanger and all the original components as far as I can tell.

It makes no sense that it could be that much higher than the coolant.
Title: Re: 'ideal' oil temperature
Post by: Screech16v on 08 July 2012, 18:17
oil temp sender?
blocked oil cooler?
Mines abf but never had it over 110 degrees .
Title: Re: 'ideal' oil temperature
Post by: Ess_Three on 08 July 2012, 18:51
oil temp sender?
blocked oil cooler?
Mines abf but never had it over 110 degrees .

I've seen mid to late 120Cs...I'd not worry about it, to be honest.
Just run decent oil.
Title: Re: 'ideal' oil temperature
Post by: Khare on 08 July 2012, 20:29
Anything over 110 I think is far too high unless you're on a track. Highest I've seen mine is 110 and that was on the road giving it plenty of welly.
Title: Re: 'ideal' oil temperature
Post by: fufflenarnia on 08 July 2012, 20:36
Ok, thanks guys, I need to do some investigating.

The engine it actually in a vw camper van - 1986 t3. So is canted over at 50°.

It is not an unusual conversion, but you have to use a sump and oil pickup off a jx diesel engine (from a t3) and it is a great engine for a van, lots of grunt!

I don't have any oil pressure lights on, but am wondering if the oil pressure is low - so I will have to check.

I will also blow through the oil/water cooler to check that is not blocked.

Thanks for the help - let me know if you have any more ideas.
Title: Re: 'ideal' oil temperature
Post by: Wayne on 08 July 2012, 20:41
I used to see around 110, 130 is a little high
Title: Re: 'ideal' oil temperature
Post by: Khare on 08 July 2012, 21:02
Don't think any Golf engine is designed to operate at a 50° tilt.
Title: Re: 'ideal' oil temperature
Post by: Wayne on 08 July 2012, 21:10
Don't think any Golf engine is designed to operate at a 50° tilt.

They will be fine, older Transports had Golf engines in them.
Title: Re: 'ideal' oil temperature
Post by: fufflenarnia on 08 July 2012, 21:19
Absolutely, many of the south african ones had the audi 5 cyl thrown over at 50°, and all the diesels are the same too.
Title: Re: 'ideal' oil temperature
Post by: itavaltalainen on 08 July 2012, 21:32
I also know of Golf engines in T's... Not a problem usually if done well.

Should have said it's in a T3, it has to carry a lot more weight, so you are running at higher load, hence will get hotter. The heat exchanger has relatively small surface so completely normal that its hotter than the coolant. As I've said at higher loads I got up to about 100 degrees but that was when I drove in Finland (not really that hot :) ) - or through cold weather Germany.