GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: vrs lil on 04 July 2012, 13:15

Title: Fuel guage or just GTI economy!
Post by: vrs lil on 04 July 2012, 13:15
Hi folks. I've owned some guzzly cars and to be fair mine is only used for short trips but still seems to use a fair bit of fuel.
What I've noticed is that this morning I had just about a quarter of a tank left. Later I went out and the needle is on the red line.
I'm positive there are no leaks and it seems to be running ok now after a few issues that I've sorted.
I've noticed on more than one occassion that the needle will suddenly drop when it gets below half a tank.
Is this normal or is there more to this than meets the eye?
Thanks
Paul
Title: Re: Fuel guage or just GTI economy!
Post by: pinson on 04 July 2012, 13:18
Mine said it does 28 MPG but dont believe it. I think it is just thirsty.
Title: Re: Fuel guage or just GTI economy!
Post by: Wayne on 04 July 2012, 13:49
I never found mine that good on fuel tbh.
Title: Re: Fuel guage or just GTI economy!
Post by: javalin on 04 July 2012, 14:03
mine varies between (reported) ~32mpg for short runs to ~39mpg for longer runs (A roads / motorways etc)

MPG varies depending on the driver and the "health" of the vehicle of course.

James
Title: Re: Fuel guage or just GTI economy!
Post by: vrs lil on 04 July 2012, 14:22
Well to be fair I've never booted it at all. I had a running issue up to about a week ago.
I have a Volvo T4 as well and that seems better and averages 32mpg and my old XR2 does 32mpg and costs less also!
It's just the gauge seems to say "I've got loads" and within a blink its saying "Best fill up again"!
Title: Re: Fuel guage or just GTI economy!
Post by: trog_nfs on 04 July 2012, 14:24
Sender design in the tank is very poor.

On mine, the last quarter of a tank seems to vanish like that, but even when curved around the stop there is still around £10 of fuel in the tank. Only reason I know this is I brim my tank each time I fill due to my mileage.
Title: Re: Fuel guage or just GTI economy!
Post by: pinson on 04 July 2012, 14:30
I am hoping after a good service mine will improve slightly. Not had the car long so have really taken it on long runs.
Title: Re: Fuel guage or just GTI economy!
Post by: thai-wronghorse on 04 July 2012, 14:36
Sender design in the tank is very poor.

On mine, the last quarter of a tank seems to vanish like that, but even when curved around the stop there is still around £10 of fuel in the tank. Only reason I know this is I brim my tank each time I fill due to my mileage.

Title: Re: Fuel guage or just GTI economy!
Post by: Bandit127 on 04 July 2012, 18:23
I see you have an 8V. That should be pretty good actually.

Mine does ~32 mpg on the crawl to work (7 miles and I am lucky if I touch 40 - a lot of 10-15 mph). On a motorway run at 70-80 it will do about 42-45 mpg. The best I have had was a door to door 225 mile journey - all dual carriageway and motorway. 51.2 mpg - but I was driving like a Nun.

Check your thermostat for a start - if the temp gauge sits around 70 it is stuck open and this will increase consumption - especially on short journeys. The temp sensor for the ECU (different to the one that runs the gauge on the dash) can also fail and cause high consumption.

Title: Re: Fuel guage or just GTI economy!
Post by: Gavv8 on 04 July 2012, 19:47
Having owned a wide range of cars all of all sizes and capacities and one diesel i think my 8v is pretty good on fuel, it does use a bit more on short journeys but i put £30 quids worth in the other night and did a 200 mile motorway trip at 75-80mph and it was only back to the third of a tank i had in at the start when i got home, i will say that the gauge can soemtimes have a mind of its own when under half a tank.
Title: Re: Fuel guage or just GTI economy!
Post by: vrs lil on 04 July 2012, 20:11
To be fair my car barely gets time to warm up on my journeys but does eventually get up to 90 degrees.
On the way home tonight my gauge had gone up to almost a quarter again!!
 I miss my XR2 you could work on it...none of these poxy sensors!! :grin:
Title: Re: Fuel guage or just GTI economy!
Post by: Britman on 07 July 2012, 17:34
lol i got an audi 2.6 v6 1997 and does these figures, seam poor for 2.0 ha. I recal 16v done better mpg i not had 8v. my v6 gets 29mpg and that some acceleration and at 70mph i get 32 sometimes
Title: Re: Fuel guage or just GTI economy!
Post by: VW BUSH on 07 July 2012, 20:33
They aint good on fuel, both 8 and 16v versions drink due to where the engine power bands are and related outputs.
A VR6 can be just as economical to drive as it does not need as much full throttle to make it just as fun.
Quarter of a tank goes quicker than it should, this has been the case on all of my Mk3's
If you want performance and economy then you need a newer generation car or a (spits) fast Diesel.