GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: murraymint on 19 June 2012, 16:53

Title: My window wipers and blowers arnt working, help!!!
Post by: murraymint on 19 June 2012, 16:53
This morning I went out to go to work, started the car, went to clear the windows, but the wipers didn't work, front and rear on all positions, nothing.  Then about five miles down the road, I flicked the wiper stalk put of habit n they worked fine. About 10 miles later they stopped working again.

After work I went out to the car to drive home and they didnt work again, and then driving down the road I realised that the blowers didn't work eather, then randomly the wipers and blowers started working again.

Just went out to try them again and there both not working again.

Any ideas? Fuse? Relay?

Cheers
Josh
Title: Re: My window wipers and blowers have gone mad
Post by: murraymint on 19 June 2012, 16:57
Just checked all the fuses and all are okay
Title: Re: My window wipers and blowers have gone mad
Post by: stainesy on 19 June 2012, 17:39
Could it be they share an earth point on the car and the bolt is loose and making contact sometimes as it rattles about?
Title: Re: My window wipers and blowers have gone mad
Post by: murraymint on 19 June 2012, 19:36
Right, took the dash apart and the back of the blower controls all seem alright, and so do the wiper stalk. Checked the fuse box and all relays and fuses are okay and there no loose connectors in the back.?

Yh I could be a earth wire, can anyone verfy this? And if so where would it be?
Title: Re: My window wipers and blowers have gone mad
Post by: Bandit127 on 19 June 2012, 19:42
It sounds like an earth - the wiring diagram will tell you where the common earth for those is.

I don't know about yours, but there are 3 or 4 different lives coming off my +ve battery terminal. Perhaps it is worth checking the crimps on those too?
Title: Re: My window wipers and blowers have gone mad
Post by: murraymint on 19 June 2012, 19:50
Time to crack out the haynes manual and study the wiring diagrams then,
Title: Re: My window wipers and blowers arnt working, help!!!
Post by: murraymint on 20 June 2012, 19:28
Help!!!!

I checked all the wiring diagrams in the Haynes manual and then checked the related earths and all that I can see are fine.

The wipers and blowers didn't work all the way to work today, but worked all the way home. There not working again now.

Any ideas? Things I might have missed? Help!!
Title: Re: My window wipers and blowers arnt working, help!!!
Post by: murraymint on 21 June 2012, 19:26
Anyone?  :undecided:
Title: Re: My window wipers and blowers arnt working, help!!!
Post by: stainesy on 21 June 2012, 19:30
the only things it can really be is earth, relays or a loose wire cant it?
it must be something some where on the car where the wipers and blowers are linked.
and the problem will be there.
any wires in the dash that have been rubbing together and worn away the sleave so they touching now?
anybody no a place they could be linked?
Title: Re: My window wipers and blowers arnt working, help!!!
Post by: murraymint on 21 June 2012, 19:36
Yh that makes sence but had the lower half of the dash off and had a good look under there and can't see anything wrong, but tbh don't know what I'm looking for. It seems like the blower and wipers start working when the car it up to temp, is this related or just coincidence?