GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: Jasikasisback on 18 June 2012, 01:10

Title: How much oil for a 1.8?
Post by: Jasikasisback on 18 June 2012, 01:10
I put in just over four litres.is that too much?

I got a bit of smoke coming out from behind the engine after I turned the car off for a few seconds but not whilst it was running.no smoke out of tailpipe. Why would it do that? Dangerous to drive?

I  am  a real klutz with this car. Couldnt get the injection flange off as well as bolts on tight as a rock.
Title: Re: How much oil for a 1.8?
Post by: Dogbot on 18 June 2012, 09:06
4 litres as a top up is far too much..... :huh:
the distance from the low oil & full oil mark on the dipstick is appx 1 litre.
that being said, if it took 4 litres before it appeared onto the dipstick while it was sat on a flat level surface I would be worried......

However, if you have done an oil change 4 litres is in the right region....

Can you be a bit more specific as to why you have put 4 litres in, i.e. as a top up, or as an oil change,
Title: Re: How much oil for a 1.8?
Post by: Jasikasisback on 18 June 2012, 15:30
full oil change. i drove the car before doing this so that the oil was hot, it was due for an oil change anyways...I do mostly motorway driving at 50mph (to the horror of other motorists...well only a few get upset..I stay in the slow lane..)

It was a full oil change and I put in just over 4l...the car runs okay and there is no smoke coming out of the tailpipe but it smokes a little coming from behind the engine block...

I took the oil cap off and there is no smoke coming out of there at all...

So I hope that this was just a bit of oil spilt as I was filling it...

The dipstick shows just above the fill line (maybe a couple of milimeters) I hope it will be alright...
Title: Re: How much oil for a 1.8?
Post by: itavaltalainen on 18 June 2012, 16:41
4.0L should be OK, if it's not more then 3mm above max you should be allright... always put 4 liters in my 2.0 litre (almost exactly the same block).
not done one on my 1.8 yet....
Title: Re: How much oil for a 1.8?
Post by: dom on 18 June 2012, 19:03
Have you checked the dipstick on a level surface? IIRC they take 4.3L when empty
Title: Re: How much oil for a 1.8?
Post by: Wayne on 18 June 2012, 20:39
IIRC they take 4.3L when empty

I think with a filter it is around 4.5 ltrs :undecided:
Title: Re: How much oil for a 1.8?
Post by: dom on 18 June 2012, 20:43
IIRC they take 4.3L when empty

I think with a filter it is around 4.5 ltrs :undecided:

It might well be, 4.3 was the figure I had in my head but I may well be wrong!
Title: Re: How much oil for a 1.8?
Post by: Jasikasisback on 19 June 2012, 21:52
Ni more wories.it takes more than 4l. Everything is alright.
Title: Re: How much oil for a 1.8?
Post by: LowlifeDubber on 21 June 2012, 11:32
Just checked on my Autodata and its 3.8litres including filter.
4litres will be fine.

(http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/3130/14445511.png)
Title: Re: How much oil for a 1.8?
Post by: Rmachines on 23 June 2012, 11:33
I put in just over four litres.is that too much?

Can your distick not be the judge of that?   :grin:   I usualy stick 3.5l in then top up according to dipstick which usualy ends up the best part of 4L  So yea...  4.5-5L Will cause oil to be blown down the seals and cause smoke.

If the manifold is smoking, it will either be the rocker cover gasket leaking (they dribble onto the intake manifold and pool up and drip on the exhaust manifold)

Or you dripped some new oil down there while filling it up.... 
Title: Re: How much oil for a 1.8?
Post by: Jasikasisback on 23 June 2012, 17:13
mine takes more than 4l, about 4.5...maybe because automatic??it is working fine now:)