GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: Deano2711 on 14 June 2012, 21:01

Title: Downgraded the Golf
Post by: Deano2711 on 14 June 2012, 21:01
As some of you may know I have recently been having a problem with a build up of pressure in my cooling system on the Anni. With me going on holiday soon and not wanting to wreck the Golf I decided to get a cheap runaround to allow me to sort the Golf and still go on holiday. I managed to spot a Passat estate in the local paper for £595. Went along as I have always liked the Passat Estate and much prefer the estate to the saloon model. Anyway it turns out to be the 1.6 SE model with a full MOT with just one advisories which was that the tow ball had been removed !!!  Tax'd till October. 2 owners from new and 76k on a recon engine with all the bills to prove. Took it for a spin and drives nice enough so managed to reduce the price to 500 quid. Been driving it now for a couple of days and is really comfy and nice to drive with no known faults and no codes from the fault code reader. Its a bit of an old man's car but for the money will do for now until I get bored and want my Mark 3 back on the road. Here's a couple of pics from when I got it. Gave it a good clean when I got it home.

(http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv163/Deano2711/Passat.jpg)

(http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv163/Deano2711/Passat2.jpg)
Title: Re: Downgraded the Golf
Post by: murraymint on 14 June 2012, 21:04
Good buy at 500 notes, you'll easly make that back. For a second I thort you'd sold the anni!
Title: Re: Downgraded the Golf
Post by: Dannyboi30 on 14 June 2012, 21:08
same ere lol
Title: Re: Downgraded the Golf
Post by: Deano2711 on 14 June 2012, 21:19
Not too sure what to do with the Anni.....sell it, fix it or engine swap for something meatier. Engine swap is last option as I can't really afford to do it properly, fix it is top I think as I am pretty sure it's the water pump seal that's gone and is therefore sucking in air. Sell it....hmmmmmm but I know I would regret it and miss it badly  :undecided: :undecided:
Title: Re: Downgraded the Golf
Post by: murraymint on 14 June 2012, 21:24
DONT SELL IT!!!!!! You will regret it, store it and use the pisrat then when your back from holiday and got a bit of spare cash fix it upto its former glorey
Title: Re: Downgraded the Golf
Post by: Deano2711 on 14 June 2012, 21:29
I can do the work myself so not too worried but I fancy something with a bit more poke so was thinking of another VR before I got the Passat and seeing as it could be a weekend toy that is now affordable  :cool:
Title: Re: Downgraded the Golf
Post by: murraymint on 14 June 2012, 21:30
I can do the work myself so not too worried but I fancy something with a bit more poke so was thinking of another VR before I got the Passat and seeing as it could be a weekend toy that is now affordable  :cool:

Vr anni conversion  :cool:
Title: Re: Downgraded the Golf
Post by: F17BAD on 14 June 2012, 21:38
yea put a VR lump in that annie
 :wink: :cool:
Title: Re: Downgraded the Golf
Post by: Deano2711 on 14 June 2012, 21:46
Already crossed my mind but need to research what is needed.....obviously engine and box, loom and ECU but what else ??
Title: Re: Downgraded the Golf
Post by: Dannyboi30 on 14 June 2012, 21:46
yea put a VR lump in that annie
 :wink: :cool:



+1 do it deano ya no ya wanna lol  :grin:
Title: Re: Downgraded the Golf
Post by: DUBboi12 on 14 June 2012, 21:53
What ever you do don't sell it  :smiley:
Title: Re: Downgraded the Golf
Post by: Bandit127 on 14 June 2012, 21:55
Hmm. A bargain and it looks lovely. The right colour too.

But 1.4 tonnes (empty) with a 1.6 engine is going to get tedious very quickly. I reckon you need a mapped 1.9 D for the torque rather than power and half decent economy.



Title: Re: Downgraded the Golf
Post by: murraymint on 14 June 2012, 21:56
Already crossed my mind but need to research what is needed.....obviously engine and box, loom and ECU but what else ??

A vr doner car....

Or

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=233789.0
Title: Re: Downgraded the Golf
Post by: Wayne on 14 June 2012, 22:11
VR Anni :cool:, easy enough to sort with a donor car.
Title: Re: Downgraded the Golf
Post by: Junior74 on 14 June 2012, 22:19
Don't sell it mate...it's a nice car.
Like the new one, bargain!!!!!

(you'll get a couple of Joerns hoists in the back of there!!!)  :huh:
Title: Re: Downgraded the Golf
Post by: Deano2711 on 14 June 2012, 22:38
Don't sell it mate...it's a nice car.
Like the new one, bargain!!!!!

(you'll get a couple of Joerns hoists in the back of there!!!)  :huh:

Quality......see enough of them Bloody things Mate  :grin:
Title: Re: Downgraded the Golf
Post by: tweed on 15 June 2012, 10:15
Deano can you open the rear door (boot) and measure the width please. I might get one for karting but it needs to fit in first  :grin:
Title: Re: Downgraded the Golf
Post by: Deano2711 on 15 June 2012, 10:34
Will do Mate and post up results tonight.  :cool:
Title: Re: Downgraded the Golf
Post by: tweed on 18 June 2012, 13:16
Did you measure it dude? 
Title: Re: Downgraded the Golf
Post by: Shady Pioneer on 18 June 2012, 21:01
Deano, VR Anni is something I've been contemplating, or a valver. Not sure. All I can say though is don't SELL IT!
Title: Re: Downgraded the Golf
Post by: Deano2711 on 18 June 2012, 21:06
Did you measure it dude? 

Sorry Bud.....completely forgot. Will go do it now (who wants to watch Croatia/Spain anyway  :grin:). Check thread in five mins for results  :wink:
Title: Re: Downgraded the Golf
Post by: Deano2711 on 18 June 2012, 21:14
Right Bud......rear tailgate clearance is 39inch wide x 31inch high, there is then a 15inch gap till you hit the wheel arches which are 40inches apart. With the rear seats dropped you would have a distance of 61inches between tailgate and front seats.  Hope this helps.  :cool:
Title: Re: Downgraded the Golf
Post by: tweed on 18 June 2012, 22:08
You legend!!!

Il go measure my kart and see if that's enough room  :smiley:
Title: Re: Downgraded the Golf
Post by: Deano2711 on 19 June 2012, 18:34
You legend!!!

Il go measure my kart and see if that's enough room  :smiley:

Any good in the end Mate ??
Title: Re: Downgraded the Golf
Post by: N900 MJT on 19 June 2012, 22:29
Dont sell it !!! get it fixed :)