GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: stainesy on 14 June 2012, 14:14
-
ok decided today the only thing letting my car down (apart from the wheels :grin:) was the grill wich is covered in stone chips. so decided to paint it.
remember somebody on here asking about painting there grill. so thought id do a little how to using the pics i took.
first i took the grill off the car and took it apart so i just had the sections to be painted. alot easyer than masking up.
this is one part of the grill but forgot to take a pic of the bottom bit removed.
i sanded this down with 200 grit all over for a nice smooth but keyed serface. and did the same to the other bits including the badge.
i then wiped over them all with thinners several times with differant cloths untill the cloth was clean.
i also put a coat of plastic primer on the badge only. didnt bother priming the other bits as they already have paint on them i just keyed them.
(http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z430/slammed_golf/grill1.jpg)
i then used the dragon green spray paint in cans and painted the bits using clean strait stokes from one side to the other. never try to put loads on at once. its easyer to add more than to have it run and have to start again.
give it a light coat and let it dry. then another coat. and another. let it dry between coats.
(http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z430/slammed_golf/grill2.jpg)
(http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z430/slammed_golf/grill3.jpg)
the badge only has one coat in this pic. i did more coats after but forgot to take pics.
(http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z430/slammed_golf/grill4.jpg)
i then let it all dry. then went over it again doing the same but with clear coat. and forgot to take pics of that process :grin:
i then let it dry and put the grill back together.
(http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z430/slammed_golf/grill5.jpg)
and then fitted it to the car. job done. looks so much better and the pics dont do it justice.
its as simple as that.
(http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z430/slammed_golf/grill6.jpg)
(http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z430/slammed_golf/grill7.jpg)
(http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z430/slammed_golf/grill8.jpg)
-
Good work there stainesy, at last a thread with something informative in :tongue: :grin:
-
You mean from me pin general? :grin:
-
Jobs a goodun.
I take it you wanted the garden bench to match?
-
:grin: that bench has been painted so many diferant colours over the years with diferant things iv painted on it. Then once it get to much I just run a sander over it :grin:
Once I get an idea in my head to do something I just do it and don't think about the covering the bench :grin:
-
Looks good mate :smiley:
-
makes it look better with the coded badge :wink:
-
Really looks like my old ABF :grin:
Not a fan of the badge. I just like them chrome. Starting to wish I left my headlights too
-
Yeah this is all to fit into its theme right now. As soon as I save up enough to get the wheels I want. I will be going vento front and clear crystal lights all round to mach the chrome on the rims. But right now with the anthracite rims it all fits together.
-
You seem to have a different theme every week :grin:
Good work dude! :afro:
-
Yes - good work. It looks mint. (http://www.bandit127.com/oof_stuff/images/thumbs-up.gif)
Thinking of doing mine black to break up the red a bit on mine. Might buy one from a scrappy and follow your guide to see what it looks like... Won't cost much that way and I can go back if I don't like it.
-
You seem to have a different theme every week :grin:
Good work dude! :afro:
:grin: :grin:
-
You seem to have a different theme every week :grin:
Good work dude! :afro:
the theme on this one since i bought it was to darken everything to mach the rims and make it all work. i did have a grenn and orange idea for a few days till i put the orange indicators on and realised it looked gash.
but this all work together. when i finally get the rims i want it will change again but that may take a wile till then and im happy with how it looks right now till then.