GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: dazzer75 on 12 June 2012, 21:41

Title: Eratic fuel gauge
Post by: dazzer75 on 12 June 2012, 21:41
Seems I have my 1st problem with my mk3 gti . On my way home this evening left work and the fuel gauge was reading halfway between 1/4 and 1/2 .Set off on my normal route, I had to stop at traffic lights on a hill pointing upwards only when I pulled away and glanced down at the speedo I noticed the fuel gauge was now reading in the red. I had to drop something of at a mates on the way home had a bit of chat them headed off again and now its reading 1/4 of a tank .Whats going on is this a common issue with mk3s or vws in general as I remember my mums old polo if it was a hot sunny day the fuel gauge would often drop to empty even if the tank was full
Title: Re: Eratic fuel gauge
Post by: Wayne on 12 June 2012, 21:53
The sender is a crap design, mine was all over the shop.
Title: Re: Eratic fuel gauge
Post by: dubstar9 on 12 June 2012, 21:53
Mines does this at around the some point on the gauge, I put it down to the fact that even though they try and put the sender in the tank at central as possible the fuel tank is not a perfect shape so that if the car isn't flat the fuel will move away from the sender making the float drop.

This will make the gauge read lower, then when you hit flatter land the fuel sloches around and the gauge doesn't read this until it settles so when you park up the fuel settles and when you return it makes an positive reading.

Thats how I see it anyway :grin:
Title: Re: Eratic fuel gauge
Post by: dazzer75 on 12 June 2012, 21:58
Ah thats ok then at first I was thinking I had a leak but then thought no it cant be as I would smell it , Guess I will just get used to it.
Title: Re: Eratic fuel gauge
Post by: Screech16v on 12 June 2012, 22:20
Mines allways been good ,simple ,only take a reading when the car is level,ive taken the needle just below the red before and not ran out so i know how far i can push it before refilling .
Title: Re: Eratic fuel gauge
Post by: jamesblonde on 12 June 2012, 22:44
Mines the same. I have more fuel if im going downhill rather than uphill ;)
Title: Re: Eratic fuel gauge
Post by: thai-wronghorse on 12 June 2012, 23:26
They're pretty crap and inaccurate on mk3's, I regularly run my past the last red line on the gauge and its never conked out.
Title: Re: Eratic fuel gauge
Post by: mrsaunders on 12 June 2012, 23:34
They're pretty crap and inaccurate on mk3's, I regularly run my past the last red line on the gauge and its never conked out.

yeah on mine ive done a good 10-15 miles on empty before getting to a petrol station, they have a lot more fuel left then you realise
Title: Re: Eratic fuel gauge
Post by: Screech16v on 12 June 2012, 23:35
Off topic,but thai got any pics of your car on here,dont think ive ever seen it,believe its grey?
Title: Re: Eratic fuel gauge
Post by: thai-wronghorse on 12 June 2012, 23:42
Off topic,but thai got any pics of your car on here,dont think ive ever seen it,believe its grey?

No pictures on here of this one I'm afraid and yes, its grey.
Title: Re: Eratic fuel gauge
Post by: Screech16v on 12 June 2012, 23:44
Off topic,but thai got any pics of your car on here,dont think ive ever seen it,believe its grey?

No pictures on here of this one I'm afraid and yes, its grey.

Well get some up, i love a grey mk3  :cool:
Title: Re: Eratic fuel gauge
Post by: WadGTI on 14 June 2012, 13:24
I have got just under 60 miles with the gauge on zero then it started to suck like a straw from a dry can.