GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: g3uvn on 11 June 2012, 21:25
-
Hello all, I think this is my first post so hello everyone!
My current cluster has a broken thermometer gauge, the locking mechanism inside the motor has gone so the needle drops when powered off (still functions but isnt giving the correct reading). Im some what of a perfectionist and even though ill be getting a new Golf sometime near Christmas, ive gotta get it sorted. I know I can replace the motor or if I spent enough time on it probably repair it but I managed to pick up a 2.0 Anniversary cluster in perfect working order with about 2k miles more than my current reading for £15.00 on eBay this morning. Hence why im not gonna do either of those :P
I only have a 1.4ABD which has the standard 120 clocks - I understand that the gauges will work but will be about 10MPH out due to the 140/120 difference and the MPG reading will also not function as I need a GTI engine with the sensors built in for that and the loom to go with it (before someone points that out!)
My question is simply, I need a new speedo sensor from the 8v / 16v / VR6 MK3 to get the correct reading on the new clocks - is this the correct part (1H0 919 149 A) and will fit straight in my current gearbox? I managed to find the item here, im sure I can get it for less but I just need to make sure its the correct part as im not the most knowledgeable (however I am trying to learn!)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-VW-Golf-Jetta-Cabrio-VSS-Vehicle-Speed-Sensor-93-02-/330523038140#ht_9839wt_829
Thanks for all your help!
-
http://ck222s.bithal.de/ck222web/golf3tacho/golf3tacho.htm
-
Just noticed I posted the link alone by accident... use google translate to get the general idea.
You should be able to connect it straight up, speedo sensor gives same signal but you will notice a difference in the speed shown (number of pulses for a set distance is different).
Also to consider is whether your engine has one or two oil pressure switches. 1.8 Anni speedo? Did they not only make anni with gti's i.e. 2.0 exclusive?
-
they didnt make a 1.8 mk3 anni :undecided:
they did a mk4 1.8 anni
-
Yeah I had a read and it just repeats what I already know but adds some technical stuff I dont really understand :S
I know the speedo will be about 5-10 mph out, I actually have a 140 set of faces which I found lying around at a scrap heap ages ago which cross checking shows how far out it will be, basically the faster I go not that my 1.4 goes very fast to begin with the more inaccurate will be. I know my engine has two oil pressure switches, one high and one low - had terrible problems with them keep popping as Cambleys kept giving me the low pressure one as a replacement for the high pressure...
edit: I meant 2.0 anni speedo, I was thinking 8v a typed 1.8 by accident - my bad!