GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: dubstar9 on 10 June 2012, 13:50

Title: Your thoughts on these gauge pods???
Post by: dubstar9 on 10 June 2012, 13:50
Just spotted these on Ebay and kind of like them, want do you think???

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/93-99-VW-Mk3-Jetta-Golf-Console-Gauge-Pod-Custom-Bezel-Trim-52mm-OEM-Cup-Holder-/170855782840?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27c7cc59b8
Title: Re: Your thoughts on these gauge pods???
Post by: tweed on 10 June 2012, 14:06
What you need them for? I think it looks tacky.
If I needed them I would hide them.
Title: Re: Your thoughts on these gauge pods???
Post by: dubstar9 on 10 June 2012, 14:16
I was looking at the US spec cup holders and spotted them, wanted to see your opinion on them.

Only seen one other gauge pod for the Mk3 which was this one - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-MK3-gauge-Holder-ColumnPod-Boost-Guage-/290646431523?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43abe09723

Was looking into 1.8T and wonder where to put a boost gauge, that was before the idea of a 24v :smiley:
Title: Re: Your thoughts on these gauge pods???
Post by: dom on 10 June 2012, 14:32
If you're going to have a boost gauge it needs to be somewhere that is close to your line of sight, it's no good having it down in the centre console because you'll never look at it.

If your booting it in 3rd then the last place you want to be looking is down :grin:

I know it's in a Mk4 and not a MK3 but mine is mounted in a cheap halfords pod on the dash. It fits perfectly into the demister vent, iirc the MK3 has a dash speaker around there? Would be possible to modify that to take a gauge holder.

(http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy183/codling1234/IMAG0222.jpg)
Title: Re: Your thoughts on these gauge pods???
Post by: dubstar9 on 10 June 2012, 14:43
Somewhere the light of sight like that one I posted a link for on top of the steering column if it doesn't block the speedo and rev counter.

This is a good idea for the Mk4 from SWG, shame they don't do simular for the Mk3.

http://www.swgmotorsport.com/asps/ShowDetails.asp?id=181
Title: Re: Your thoughts on these gauge pods???
Post by: gasketface on 10 June 2012, 14:47
I made mine out of one of these :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK3-VENTO-RARE-FISCHER-CBOX-6-STACK-CASSETTE-HOLDER-INTACT-AND-WORKING-/221039297184?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3376f802a0

The cassette holder part clips out completely leaving the main casing with just enough space for 2 gauges side by side (about 20mm gap between them).I made a bezel out of 3mm lexan,carbon wrapped it and voila.

If you fit a multi plug behind the gauges and you can remove the whole unit anytime you need to.
Title: Re: Your thoughts on these gauge pods???
Post by: dubstar9 on 10 June 2012, 14:55
Still down in the console out of the line of sight, most be something better than the A pillar jobbies that look a little too much like the Fast and the Fluffyness for my liking. Need to look like a well thought out OEM accessory :wink:
Title: Re: Your thoughts on these gauge pods???
Post by: Wayne on 10 June 2012, 15:04
I think for a mk3 this is really neat: http://store.42draftdesigns.com/VW-mk3-Single-Gauge-Panel_p_19.html
Title: Re: Your thoughts on these gauge pods???
Post by: tweed on 10 June 2012, 15:12
I think for a mk3 this is really neat: http://store.42draftdesigns.com/VW-mk3-Single-Gauge-Panel_p_19.html

If I needed a gauge to look at while driving this would be it.
Title: Re: Your thoughts on these gauge pods???
Post by: dubstar9 on 10 June 2012, 15:14
Well spotted that man, nice one :wink:

The 4 gauge one is a bit mad, but still it fits well if you want that sort of thing!!!
Title: Re: Your thoughts on these gauge pods???
Post by: F17BAD on 10 June 2012, 19:55
needs to be in sight, but if your car aint a Turbo then i don't see point

anyhow here is mine, perfect spot right where u can see it

(http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/1116/imagemnd.jpg)

Title: Re: Your thoughts on these gauge pods???
Post by: Wayne on 10 June 2012, 21:51
I went for the 3 gauge option :smiley:

(http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p51/jmfangio5/Octavia/gauges001.jpg)
Title: Re: Your thoughts on these gauge pods???
Post by: Gavv8 on 10 June 2012, 21:56
I think for a mk3 this is really neat: http://store.42draftdesigns.com/VW-mk3-Single-Gauge-Panel_p_19.html
Yes, if i had a turbo i'd have that gauge.
Title: Re: Your thoughts on these gauge pods???
Post by: F17BAD on 10 June 2012, 22:00
I think for a mk3 this is really neat: http://store.42draftdesigns.com/VW-mk3-Single-Gauge-Panel_p_19.html
Yes, if i had a turbo i'd have that gauge.


not if you have heated seats tho  :grin:, plus on a RHD car its view is blocked by steering wheel, and you really do need to keep a eye on the boost.. i look at mine as much as what i do my Rev counter
Title: Re: Your thoughts on these gauge pods???
Post by: F17BAD on 10 June 2012, 22:01
I went for the 3 gauge option :smiley:

(http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p51/jmfangio5/Octavia/gauges001.jpg)

that looks sweet mate, very OEM look  :cool:, but the only issue id have with that is the boost one is their too as not at eye level..
Title: Re: Your thoughts on these gauge pods???
Post by: GUMBALL3000 on 10 June 2012, 22:33
I was considering putting a Volt gauge in my car.. always thought that would be a handy thing to have??
Title: Re: Your thoughts on these gauge pods???
Post by: KIN9DUB on 11 June 2012, 08:59
f17bad looks pretty awesome. the single gauge one is nice but as stated its on a lhd. so would that make a difference?
Title: Re: Your thoughts on these gauge pods???
Post by: F17BAD on 11 June 2012, 09:08
f17bad looks pretty awesome. the single gauge one is nice but as stated its on a lhd. so would that make a difference?

Cheers dude

The one that's on the LHD car is available for RHD too because I considers it myself until I realized it was not easily visible from the drivers seat ( its not u check next time your in the mk3)
Also I would have had to loose my heated seat switch because that's where it lives