GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: mrsaunders on 08 June 2012, 13:36

Title: Fault code reader
Post by: mrsaunders on 08 June 2012, 13:36
done a search and cant find much help, can anyone recommend a diagnostic tool i can buy that will work on my 1997 16v golf
Title: Re: Fault code reader
Post by: Wayne on 08 June 2012, 13:46
I can recommend one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U281-VW-Audi-Skoda-Seat-VAG-CAN-BUS-Fault-Code-Reader-Scanner-diagnostic-tool-UK-/221040985066?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item337711c3ea
Title: Re: Fault code reader
Post by: thai-wronghorse on 08 June 2012, 14:51
Thats the same one that I own and use on my 16v.
Title: Re: Fault code reader
Post by: Deano2711 on 08 June 2012, 14:53
Same as mine and really easy to use and good piece of kit for the money
Title: Re: Fault code reader
Post by: DUBboi12 on 08 June 2012, 16:09
Is it better than the VAG COM USB diagnostic cable that you can get off eBay. Anyone used erm!!
Title: Re: Fault code reader
Post by: Deano2711 on 08 June 2012, 19:36
The USB cable will do loads more but the one I have would not work and I gave up in the end. The code reader is mega easy and if all you want to do is check fault codes and re set them then its brilliant.
Title: Re: Fault code reader
Post by: GTIANNIVERSARY16V on 08 June 2012, 19:48
Deanos a wizard with that fault code reader ;)
Title: Re: Fault code reader
Post by: DUBboi12 on 08 June 2012, 19:50
Looks like I'll be getting the code reader then :smiley:
Title: Re: Fault code reader
Post by: GTIANNIVERSARY16V on 08 June 2012, 19:51
Want me to have a look at your usb one mate?
Title: Re: Fault code reader
Post by: Deano2711 on 08 June 2012, 20:41
Want me to have a look at your usb one mate?

Cant even remember where I threw it to be honest Mate.....if youre nipping by mine any time you can have a look if you like.      Cheers
Title: Re: Fault code reader
Post by: GTIANNIVERSARY16V on 08 June 2012, 21:27
Ill have a butchers, might be your laptop or operating system.
Title: Re: Fault code reader
Post by: Mikester on 09 June 2012, 19:06
I can recommend one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U281-VW-Audi-Skoda-Seat-VAG-CAN-BUS-Fault-Code-Reader-Scanner-diagnostic-tool-UK-/221040985066?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item337711c3ea

I have one of these, works a treat.
Title: Re: Fault code reader
Post by: Screech16v on 09 June 2012, 19:19
I also have this but there has been occasions where i have scanned a vehicle,got the code and the code isnt in the book it comes with  :undecided:,but overall its great on my 16v  :smiley: