GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: mr happy on 05 June 2012, 21:05
-
I have a 98 golf gti 8v and want change the rear beam bushes. but which would be better new original ones or poly ones ???
-
The standard rubber bushes have quite a bit of movement which gives a bit of local independence.
Poly bushes reduce this and stiffen the ride.
Some prefer std some poly, best thing is to try them and see for yourself.
Poly bushing can be harsh on a daily and wont turn a Mk3 into a Mk2 round corners
-
For the road standard will be fine,when i did mine i fitted febi ones,also fitted the poly inserts that fill the voids in the standard bush,have no complaints :smiley:
-
I don't know why people say the Mk2 is better around corners :undecided: Even Rubjonny himself had admitted the Mk3 is better as it has a stiffer shell and better geometry, all the Mk3 needs is the right suspension.
I've got polybushes all front and back and deffo prefer them over standard, but I guess it suits my driving style. As The bushmeister said, try it for yourself.
-
Thanks for replys. dont mind if ride comfort is a bit firmer really want replace all bushes as they shot,but starting with rear beam ones first. When you replace rear bushes with poly ones does the sleve thing it is in with like a big lip on need takeing out aswell or does bushes fit inside it like original??
-
I don't know why people say the Mk2 is better around corners :undecided: Even Rubjonny himself had admitted the Mk3 is better as it has a stiffer shell and better geometry, all the Mk3 needs is the right suspension.
I've got polybushes all front and back and deffo prefer them over standard, but I guess it suits my driving style. As The bushmeister said, try it for yourself.
So, what is 'the right suspension' for a Mk3? For optimum road holding and ignoring looks (stance) and for a daily that does 13k a year.
Lowering springs -40 rear and front and good quality shocks? That's my guess... Surely not £160 coilovers?
What about bushes? For a daily - poly or uprated rubber? If so, what rubber?
-
The "right" suspension is the one that works best for whatever you're using the car.
For a standard looking spring and shock setup a very good setup is Koni dampers and ebaich springs. For a daily driver this is the "right" suspension. For a track car you want coilovers, something you can tweak for different tracks/handling characteristics and offer much better road holding.
£160 won't be a good budget for track coils (not even close), but they will be a hell of a lot better than 15 year old springs and shocks, hence the common misconception that they're so amazing (they're really not). You can buy decent new spring and shock kits for sub £200.
For bushes, some prefer rubber others prefer polyurethane. I guess driving style plays a big part in this, some are smoother drivers, others harder, others like fast changes of direction and aggressive steering control etc. From experience, rubber gives less grip but more notice of when it's going to loose that grip. Polybushes give more grip and better stability but they don't give much warning when the car is about to let go, it just does. I personally prefer polybushes, suits me.
-
My standard rear bushes are Fubard, just found out this the knocking issue iv had recently
fitting Polly bushes on mine for sure, think ill be removing the whole rear axle to do the work.. not decided yet
-
Stick with standard bushes, poly is very harsh.
-
My standard rear bushes are Fubard, just found out this the knocking issue iv had recently
fitting Polly bushes on mine for sure, think ill be removing the whole rear axle to do the work.. not decided yet
I did. Gave me a chance to paint it too.
(http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh115/kharekatoh/golf%20mk3/IMAG0023.jpg)
(http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh115/kharekatoh/golf%20mk3/IMAG0024.jpg)
-
yeah wanna paint mine too, did u have to bleed the brakes or is it/do u think it will be, possible to remove it without disturbing my fluids ??
were the polly bushes easy to get in place without a press ?
-
Bushes didn't need anything to go in. I used a little bit of copper grease to make it even easier, but if they're nice and clean and the inside of the beam where the bushes mount is clean and smooth too then it goes in so easy by hand, no force.
Brakes can remain in place. Just removed the calipers and leave them on the car, supported. The beam will have the discs attached still obviously. No need to disconnect any brake lines.
You'll need an assistant to help line up the beam and also to remove it, it's pretty heavy.
-
(http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh115/kharekatoh/golf%20mk3/DSC02982.jpg)
(http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh115/kharekatoh/golf%20mk3/DSC02983.jpg)
You can see the calipers laying in the ground still connected on that last pic.
-
Cheers for clearing this up brother (from another mother)
Ben will be at hand to assist so no dramas their.. we was just trying to confirm if i had to disturb my fluids and thats something i don't want to do as i am running expensive fluids and iv just done them haha!
did you brush on your paint or spray it ?
-
Hammerite smooth. Brushed on rust and all. Just cleaned the axle a bit to get rid of loose dirt/oil and then brushed it all on.
I know you're OCD/anal when it comes to this, so I'm sure you'll be sanding down the axle and then priming it, layering it and finishing it off :laugh:
-
I stuck with OEM rear bushes on my past two mk3's and did them both in situ.
-
I was thinking brush on smooth too, i only ever use hammerite on my cars even in the bay all my black bits are the satin or smooth finish
did you remove the stub axles and discs or just leave all that in place ?
-
Left it all in place mate. As you see the axle in pic 1 is how it was painted (bit cleaner ofcourse).
-
sound as a pound
was thinking to get another axle, paint it, then fit the bushes and then just swap it out for my existing one
not decided yet..
-
I guess that way you can spend as much time and effort as you like getting a decent finish on it rather than whipping it off then having to stick it back on quickly so that you can use the car again.
-
I guess that way you can spend as much time and effort as you like getting a decent finish on it rather than whipping it off then having to stick it back on quickly so that you can use the car again.
yea thats what I'm thinking, need to use this car daily you see
-
I found that the rear bushes aren't difficult to replace if you're geared up for the job to start with but they are a bit time consuming so if you can grab a spare axle to prep it will make life less stressful.
-
cheers matey :smiley:
-
Little tip, try and let the beam back down on axle stands under the discs then do the final tighten on the two main bolts/nuts.
This gets them more or less in the correct position, otherwise when you let it dow it will put a twisting tension on the bushes. ;)
-
I don't know why people say the Mk2 is better around corners :undecided: Even Rubjonny himself had admitted the Mk3 is better as it has a stiffer shell and better geometry, all the Mk3 needs is the right suspension.
I've got polybushes all front and back and deffo prefer them over standard, but I guess it suits my driving style. As The bushmeister said, try it for yourself.
Weight, Mk2 is lighter and does not have to contend with so much body roll particularly through a series of corners, they do feel more positive.
don't think I'm dissing the Mk3 though, I think its the best all round golf a bit like Beefy Botham :grin:
-
I don't know why people say the Mk2 is better around corners :undecided: Even Rubjonny himself had admitted the Mk3 is better as it has a stiffer shell and better geometry, all the Mk3 needs is the right suspension.
I've got polybushes all front and back and deffo prefer them over standard, but I guess it suits my driving style. As The bushmeister said, try it for yourself.
Weight, Mk2 is lighter and does not have to contend with so much body roll particularly through a series of corners, they do feel more positive.
don't think I'm dissing the Mk3 though, I think its the best all round golf a bit like Beefy Botham :grin:
True but as said once the suspension is properly sorted that's not really a issue
Plus the MK2 is about as aero dynamic as a piece of Yorkshire stone
The mk3 is actually really good for dynamics. High speed driving is much more stable. In Mu opinion making it the better option for high powered conversions :nerd:
Bellend, cheers mate also read this before too :wink: :cool:
-
Mk2 is only just over 100kg lighter on the gti 8v, so no huge difference. As Brad said, the aerodynamics on the mk3 help make it much more stable so its more usable at high speed.
-
Great thread, picked up some useful tips here.
-
Great thread, picked up some useful tips here.
+1 to that. This forum should have a thanks button.
-
Got mine powdercoated in the end,got beam,brake sheilds and carries done 4 £40.Forgot the callipers though doh,just got remember which way up the beam goes and how it goes back together know lol.
(http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u443/simonwaite78/002-4.jpg)
-
Oh and decided 2 polybush...why are they traingeler one end then ????
(http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u443/simonwaite78/002-3.jpg)
-
Pretty design I guess :smiley:
-
I'm always getting under my ream beam to admire my pretty bushes...
-
My whole car is poly bushed with Sachs HD shocks and 40mm lower springs of unknown brand.
It crashes and bangs over potholes but handles great in the twisties, it's not too low for speed bumps either. It'll never win any stance or low awards but as a daily drive ticks the right boxes.
It recently had a full 4 wheel alignment done, camber, caster, toe etc. get it done it just makes it better!
-
Fitted my bushes in my beam easy as pie to do, then went to bolt the beam back in its brackets,the one side was fine then went to bolt the overside of the beam and it dont line up with the bracket it as though the bushes are too thick/wide wtf :sad: :angry:
-
This is confusing me ,mr happy is sad and angry :undecided:
-
so if you was to grab a rear beam from scrapyard or somewhere to fit bushes then fit to car,is it the same beam for all mk3s or did they differ?
also has anyone got a easy way of pressing std bushes back in,with beam still on car?
found a bush removal/insert tool from sealey tools buts its £60.00 a lot of money for a job you will do once....
-
Made my own bush insertion tool using some M12 threaded stud and some off cuts of bright steel. Sod buying one.
-
'Search' brings gifts... http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3242686 .
-
Beat me to it mate, that thread was invaluable when I did my first ever rear bushes.
-
yeah read that years ago when i changed them on my old golf,ended up using the wheel off my trolley jack a couple sockets and stud bar,but still was a pain in the asre!
just thought there might be a easier way to push them in :smiley:
-
I plan to do mine before the end of summer ( :laugh:) but i think the best route is to buy another rear beam and refurb that.
-
Ok i have fitted the oneside went too fit the overside and it like this,i rang venom motorsport who i got bushes from and the said they right bushes but they must just be unsuitable for my car??? anyone???
(http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u443/simonwaite78/001-4.jpg)
-
Hacksaw.... :laugh:
-
What the hell, that's miles out! :huh:
-
The housing it slides into I think can be moved side to side. Loosen it up and try and budge it.
-
Do you mean the actual beam mounting brackets on the floor pan?
-
Yeah, I think they moved side to side when loose. I can't remember too well, it was a while ago.