GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: stainesy on 04 June 2012, 09:09

Title: Boot lifters as bonnet lifters.
Post by: stainesy on 04 June 2012, 09:09
I remember reading somewhere on here that the boot lifers can be used as bonnet lifters.
How do I fit them on the bonnet and wing? I'm guessing I use one of the wing mount bolt holes but where on the bonnet does it attach?
Title: Re: Boot lifters as bonnet lifters.
Post by: stainesy on 04 June 2012, 09:16
Actually iv figured out I put the lifter in the bonnet bracket hole but where on the wing do I put the other end?
Title: Re: Boot lifters as bonnet lifters.
Post by: Deano2711 on 04 June 2012, 09:38
You should have a rubber stop on each wing which you remove and bolt the pin into this hole and then push the boot lifter onto pin and job done. There is a guide in the Mark 3 Maintenance section if you need it.
Title: Re: Boot lifters as bonnet lifters.
Post by: GTIANNIVERSARY16V on 04 June 2012, 09:47
Got similar things fitted on my bonnet.... But over time the weight causes them to become loose.
Title: Re: Boot lifters as bonnet lifters.
Post by: kempie on 04 June 2012, 09:49
best how to i found :)
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=112388.msg978104#msg978104
Title: Re: Boot lifters as bonnet lifters.
Post by: stainesy on 04 June 2012, 10:55
Cheers guys yeah I found the how to guide. Just need to find a nut that fits the bits that are going to the wings.
Title: Re: Boot lifters as bonnet lifters.
Post by: Screech16v on 04 June 2012, 11:48
Just an 8mm thread aint it prob 13mm head,use a decent sized washer to spread the weight  :wink:
Title: Re: Boot lifters as bonnet lifters.
Post by: stainesy on 04 June 2012, 12:03
Just an 8mm thread aint it prob 13mm head,use a decent sized washer to spread the weight  :wink:

yeah that was my plan mate.
Title: Re: Boot lifters as bonnet lifters.
Post by: 16valver dan on 04 June 2012, 12:58
rob the 2 bolts holding the white golfs windscreen wipers on perfect fit done it myself last week
Title: Re: Boot lifters as bonnet lifters.
Post by: stainesy on 04 June 2012, 13:55
You mean the 2 nuts?
Title: Re: Boot lifters as bonnet lifters.
Post by: philmar on 04 June 2012, 15:33
 The easiest way, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jom-Bonnet-Lifters-VW-Golf-Mk-3-Vento-/280631064417?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4156ea3761&clk_rvr_id=349710712989&afsrc=1
Title: Re: Boot lifters as bonnet lifters.
Post by: Screech16v on 04 June 2012, 15:47
Nah to bling ,they go juddery after a while and dont look oem ,plus got mine for £3  :tongue:
Title: Re: Boot lifters as bonnet lifters.
Post by: stainesy on 04 June 2012, 18:47
ok got the lifters and the nuts from wipers fit perfect cheers.
will fit tomorrow and post up some pics.
Title: Re: Boot lifters as bonnet lifters.
Post by: gti gaz on 04 June 2012, 20:39
good cheap mod would advise it to anyone  :grin:
Title: Re: Boot lifters as bonnet lifters.
Post by: 67buggers on 04 June 2012, 21:51
I lived it when I did this
Title: Re: Boot lifters as bonnet lifters.
Post by: Shady Pioneer on 04 June 2012, 22:44
Why has this become such a big issue? I made the bloody guide!  :grin:
Title: Re: Boot lifters as bonnet lifters.
Post by: stainesy on 05 June 2012, 07:22
yeah i have the guide saved on my phone now although its pretty simple and cant wait to do it later..
i have to admit yesterday when i went to do it i thought i had to put the one on the bonnet in one of the closer wing bolt holes and i fitted one end to the bonnet and i was trying to compress it to get it in the hole. lets just say it didnt work  :grin: :embarassed:
Title: Re: Boot lifters as bonnet lifters.
Post by: 16valver dan on 05 June 2012, 10:18
yeah mine done that fit it into wing line it up with hole on bonnet and lift bonnet off the stand as it goes a little higher with struts mate
Title: Re: Boot lifters as bonnet lifters.
Post by: stainesy on 05 June 2012, 11:33
bonnet lifters now fitted and work great. well impressed with them. and only took about 10 mins to do.

(http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z430/slammed_golf/542936_3787717128096_965326410_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Boot lifters as bonnet lifters.
Post by: Wayne on 05 June 2012, 12:33
I still think they could lead to problems over the time, way too strong against aftermarket lifters.
Title: Re: Boot lifters as bonnet lifters.
Post by: thai-wronghorse on 05 June 2012, 20:40
It's funny you should say that Wayne as i happened to pop my bonnet this morning to have a quick ganders at all the a/c gubbins I'm about to rip out and noticed that the top lip of my o/s wing looked slightly rippled and I can't ever remember it been like that before i fitted my boot struts on this one...  :undecided:
Title: Re: Boot lifters as bonnet lifters.
Post by: Khare on 05 June 2012, 20:42
I've had mine on for about 2 and a half years and they're still going strong. Probably the best cheap mod I've done. It makes working on the engine easy.
Title: Re: Boot lifters as bonnet lifters.
Post by: search on 05 June 2012, 21:28
I've had mine on for about 2 and a half years and they're still going strong. Probably the best cheap mod I've done. It makes working on the engine easy.

Probs best to lower your car before hand tho yeah? looks like they could get in the way to take the nuts of for top mounts?
Title: Re: Boot lifters as bonnet lifters.
Post by: Khare on 05 June 2012, 21:30
I've had mine on for about 2 and a half years and they're still going strong. Probably the best cheap mod I've done. It makes working on the engine easy.

Probs best to lower your car before hand tho yeah? looks like they could get in the way to take the nuts of for top mounts?

Not in the way at all.
Title: Re: Boot lifters as bonnet lifters.
Post by: stainesy on 05 June 2012, 21:32
I've had mine on for about 2 and a half years and they're still going strong. Probably the best cheap mod I've done. It makes working on the engine easy.

Probs best to lower your car before hand tho yeah? looks like they could get in the way to take the nuts of for top mounts?

HUH  :undecided:
Title: Re: Boot lifters as bonnet lifters.
Post by: Wayne on 05 June 2012, 22:09
It's funny you should say that Wayne as i happened to pop my bonnet this morning to have a quick ganders at all the a/c gubbins I'm about to rip out and noticed that the top lip of my o/s wing looked slightly rippled and I can't ever remember it been like that before i fitted my boot struts on this one...  :undecided:


Yep, have seen a few people suffer the same problem, they place too much pressure on the bonnet and wing which over leads to the issue you have now.
Title: Re: Boot lifters as bonnet lifters.
Post by: Bellend on 05 June 2012, 22:54
Mines been fine but as I drilled a hole, it goes through the wing and the chassis/rail so doesn't push against the wing. ;)