GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: GTIANNIVERSARY16V on 03 June 2012, 13:46
-
I noticed this problem on my old Mk3 TDI....im also noticing it on my new mk3.
Whenever it rains, or has been raining my steering wheel doesnt work properley few a bout 10 - 20 seconds.
I notice it when going round sharp corners or islands, it seems to jam. Quite dangerous in my opinion, but only for a split second, then continues to turn as normal.
Very annoying, no garage knows whats wrong, any similar experiences?
Both cars have been lowered.....never happened before they was lowered.
-
I would say to check/replace the power steering belt first as it sounds like it could be slipping when its cold and wet.
-
Nice one, anything in particular to look out for?
-
It's a pretty easy and straight forward job and the tension is manually adjustable so i'd just put a new one on and to be honest it's something i do as part of regular servicing.
-
Sound, another job on the list lol
-
It will be the damp causing the power steering belt to slip. It happened to me a few times in the wet causing the steering to go really heavy.
As stated, well worth getting a new belt put on.
-
My old mk3 did this, wheel was spraying the belt causing it to slip
-
Did you change your belt?
-
no, my wheel scrubbed through my arch causing the spray to get through
-
16v's had a cover from new that shielded the belt I believe, your problem is down to the belt slipping
-
So my shield is knackered? I'll take some pics of the area.
-
So my shield is knackered? I'll take some pics of the area.
They were only fitted on 16v's from what I have read.
-
Yeah mines a 16v
-
My 8v had a small half circle shaped shield and my current 16v has a full underengine cover that helps to reduce the amount of road spray on the belt.
TDI's came with the full covers as well.
-
So my shield is knackered? I'll take some pics of the area.
They were only fitted on 16v's from what I have read.
My 8v anni has one fitted
-
8v only has a sh!te cover over the belt
16v and tdi had full covers (whole engine) from factory, tdi version has sound deadener in it too (fixed to the cover)
-
I had a tdi..... That sound thing.... Was crap lol
-
Mine doesn't have any of the above mentioned covers, would a full cover from a 16v/tdi fit an 8v as i'd quite like to find one before next winter.
-
yeah it will fit
if you get a TDI one the waste of time sound deadener foam can easily be removed as i did with mine
The ABF (16V) versions have a bigger hole for sump.. i gave that one off my 16valver to ben and it fit his VR6 ok
my TDI one fits my S3 engine but i had to trim a tiny piece off one side next to the sump :smiley: