GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: gashead1974 on 03 June 2012, 12:36
-
I'm after some ideas please.
I went about fitting the updated suspension yesterday, drivers side went without hitch but I have a problem with the passenger side top mount bolt, firstly the Allen key head rounded off so I hammered in a over size Allen key, this in turn split the top of the shock, so I was left with the nut still firmly in position but no way of stopping the shock from turning as i try to undo it. Any ideas how i can get this undone or the shock of the car? I've tried splitting the nut with no success so any other ideas would be really helpful.
Thanks
-
Best bet is an air wrench mate......take it to a local garage tommorow and ask them to slacken it. They can be a right pain to get off using the allan key and spanner method if been on a long time.
-
Won't the shock still soon tho as they try to undo it?
-
no a gun will get it straight off
-
As already said an impact gun will sort it. I use one all the time on them and it works a treat. If its been on there for a long time soak it in WD40 and impact gun it off. May take a wile but it will come.
-
mya i just ad soak them in wd40 the night before so it has time to work
-
mya i just ad soak them in wd40 the night before so it has time to work
yeah this is better. thats what i do normaly if im putting coilovers on my cars or other peoples. i pretty much fill up the top cap thing so the nut is bathed in it over night. even then sometimes iv had to charge my cordless impact gun have way through do to them being very tight.
-
If your not keeping the old suspension strut and cant drive to a garage to use an air impact wrench you could chain drill a line through the nut either side to break it off. I had to do this with my old mk3 but it was fine as i was fitting new suspension.
-
^Same as this, had to drill the nut out on one of mine now i give them both a squirt with wd40 every week just in case.
-
Also you could try holding the top plate with some mole grips, I found on mine the nut was seized and when we held the plate and turned the nut with a ratchet it give way.. Really easy to do in fact..