GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: JamesS on 30 May 2012, 13:04
-
I converted my mk2 to vr6 a couple of years ago but the shifter is a bit vague. It goes into gear fine but there is more play than I would like. The engine, box & shifter are standard mk3 2.8 vr6 parts from an early K reg car.
I know you can get a rebuild kit for the mk3 shifter but even then they are not meant to be as good as mk4 item from golf/bora. I just want to clarify which one because the lengths of the cables seem to vary between models. Anyone know which one will fit? Im fine fabbing up brackets/modding existing tunnel just need to make sure cable lengths and ends are correct.
Thanks in advance :smiley: & to put your mind at rest the doner car was a wright off!
-
You need one from a golf 5 speed 02j. Make sure its not pre '99 or early 2000 as it's the same as a mk3.
To fit the mk2 tunnel better, the golf shifter housing needs swapping to a polo/ibiza one.
The problem with the mk3 one is possibly the tower is loose needs rebuilding as i found that the one on my car was alot looser than one i had on a spare gearbox. That should improve things a bit if you don't want to go down the mk4 route
-
Im pretty keen to go down the mk4 route because the mk3 shifter is never going to be as good as mk4 shifter. It will also not take that much more time to do.
I had a looksy on ebay for a mk4 shifter and there are two shifters from the same seller, one 5 speed (52 plate) & one 6 speed (52 plate), same part number ( 1J0711061C ) but the 5 speed is twice the price. I didnt think there was a difference in shifters because the gearbox determines whether or not you have 5/6 gears not the shifter. Bit puzzled.
I am also going to mod the 02A shift tower a bit to try and reduce throws slightly. It's not as bad as my mates old split screen (40cm throw in all directions, no joke, complete pot luck) but will be worth it I think. Thans for info tshirt2k. :smiley:
-
The most important bit is the cable bracket the bolts to the gearbox that's where it is different on the 5 speed.
I bought a 6 speed and had to take it back due to cables being in the wrong place.