GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: Gavv8 on 27 May 2012, 22:47
-
Today was a lovely sunny day and once again my old mk3 went about its business fetching shopping, taking junk to the tip and generally being a great car, i've owned many cars over the years some big some tiny some with monster engines some with little buzzy ones and lots in between but none of them makes me as happy as my golf.
I love the way it looks now its lower,the low slung driving position,the tight gearchange,the lovely noise the scorpion exhaust makes,the way it pulls and pulls in any gear, the way the switches all still feel like brand new, the way the doors and bootlid all 'thunk' shut not clang, the lack of techno gadgetry,the way it looks when its all cleaned and polished but most of all just being a golf GTi owner.
My missus hates it and has been nagging me to chop it in for something newer and more in keeping with the neighbours new motors but after a year and a half of ownership and constant pi55 taking from the good folk of this site i am totally sold on the mk3 golf gti 8v, its become a faithful friend that i still look back at every time i walk away from it and despite what some say i think it deserves that GTi badge all day long simply because it does what a GTi is supposed to do every day and this is one car i intend to keep.
-
I am not so lucky as to have a gti but my 1.6 8v 5 door cl is by far the best car I hav ever owned she has a few gramling and the wife hates it with a pashon its like the car is always happy to see you even when she is playing up and you just want to scrap she has a way of making it all good lol
Want to take the mk3 on are family camping holiday in a few weeks me the wife are child and the dogs roof bars on trailer behind and we are away think I would be so much fun
Haven't told wife yet she will want to go in her astra h
-
HERE HERE, not got a GTi (YET) just a 1.4 cl but yes the golf is a all round loving car. i to had a few modern cars that just play up none stop.
-
Totally agree Bud and looking forward to blasting down the M5 to Brean in mine in June for holiday :evil:
-
Mate, i agree totally!!
Mines a gti 8v, it may not be the quickest car i've owned, it may not be the quickest out of my mates car, but its perfect. 130k on the clocks, and it drives like new.
I look back at it all the time and i often find myself staring it outside my work. I love it!
-
oh yes you are defo right there mate. i find exusess everyday to go and do something on it. when i go shopping in asda or somewhere i try to park it so i can see it when i walk out the shop so i can have a good stair at it on the way back to the car. the other day i parked in asda and went to the ticket machine. the wife was standing i front of the car. and i was staring at it. she then said aaaw its nice to no you still look at me like that. her face then droped and said, you was looking at the car wasnt you, then had the hump for the rest of the shopping trip :grin:
i have owned many very nice cars even huge bhp cars i spent thousands on the engines but nothing makes me smile like my mk3 golf gtis.
i can quite happily say its an obsession now.
i have the golfgti.co.uk calendar up in my kitchen and its just always on august as thats the pic of my black mk3 i miss so much.
and what makes it even better now is that my best mate has just bought a mk3 anni and has already started to obsess about his and his misses is close friends with my wife so they can chat in the house wile we go play with our cars. :grin:
-
Mate, i do the same with the misses thing lol. Shes like why cant you pay me that much attention then is in a mood when i give the car attention lol.
They really are an amazing car. And your situation with your mate getting one sounds perfect, i need mk3 golf friends lol
-
Ha ha after reading this it's re-assuring to know that i'm not some sort of wierdo lol!
-
Mate, i do the same with the misses thing lol. Shes like why cant you pay me that much attention then is in a mood when i give the car attention lol.
They really are an amazing car. And your situation with your mate getting one sounds perfect, i need mk3 golf friends lol
well if your anywhere close to luton always welcome to come see me :wink:
-
Really feeling the mk3 love here, I'm the same with my trusty 1.6, have looked into getting mk4s, Leon's, bmws, have also owned a mk2 (for a week) but back in my mk3 n I love it.
After a good hard drive init, I always give it a little tap on the dash, as if to say you done good girl :tongue:
-
this is gona sound really sad but everytime i put my car in the garage for the night i have a routine of saying night gorgeous :embarassed: :grin:
and in the morning a say morning gorgeous :grin:
keep a car feeling good and they treat you good just like a woman :wink:
although it is easyer to keep a car happy :lipsrsealed:
-
Future classic in the making. In about 5 years or so once all the rot boxes have been crushed. They are the perfect car just now I would say, cheap to run and maintain, reliable, second hand parts in abundance and available for pennies. What more can you ask for in a car. I have to say this though as i've just spent 2.5k rebuilding my 8v :sick: :cry: :sick:
-
Just had a long day at work, tired and pi55ed off but got in my golf opened the roof put some tunes on and booted it out of the industrial estate and up the road in to the countryside on the way home....felt instantly better... :smiley:
-
Excellent post Gav.
Mine got me to Warrington from Southampton this morning without missing a beat. (Tempting fate maybe - but I have AA 'return to base cover' now... LOL) I feel proud of it.
The car makes me want to clean and polish it. Dream about replacing all the moving parts with new (yeah - dream on sadly). And fix all the rust patches (probably do-able). It has been forever since I felt like that about a car.
And forever since I had a car I wanted to look at reflected in shop windows as I drive past...
It might not have the power of a 16V but peak torque is at 2,800 rpm - exactly where I want it - instead of a screaming 4,800 rpm. The 16V is ultimately quite a lot quicker but the 8V is always involving and a pleasure to drive no matter where it is or what it is doing.
-
I love my 8v GTI!
-
I just got 46.6 mpg door to door from Warrington to Hedge End this afternoon. 60 mph average speed so not going stupidly slow. Traffic was heavy but moving steadily all the way.
And I definitely have a 2.0 8V engine before anyone starts...
What a car! :grin:
-
Loving the love for the MK3!
As some of you know I am now on my third MK3, I have invested quite a lot into this Anni due to maintaining it and wanting to keep it standard. I wouldn't have it any other way, they are brilliant cars that more often than not, do what they are supposed to without much issue.
Admittedly I'd like some more power in it but for the most part they are good solid cars. Just need to find the right one, and I have, she's called "Ruby". :cool:
(http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt25/Shady_Pioneer/94e1e384.jpg)
-
Wheres the facebook like this button:-) in my whole 16miles of owning my gti 8v i have spent two weeks under it inside it and outside it getting it back to its former glory. i really like the way the 8v goes, it has decent low down torque and gets me along quick enough. the satin silver isnt as nice as my dragon green gl but as a pacjage its much better.
Adam
-
Yep, i cant agree more with what all you guys are saying.... I am a proud owner of a Mk3 Golf Gti 8v 1997 anawll, even though im 19 and have had the pleasure of driving Ferrari's, Porsche's the Range Rover Cosworth RS600, The Rolls Royce Phantom Drop Head and every other supercar you can name that have been customised by Project Kahn in West Yorkshire. I still look at my car every day whilst clicking the remote control for my cat 1 alarm, and smile like im getting into the best car in the whole world.
My GTI will be back on the roads of Dewsbury in less than 3 weeks, I cant wait ! The excitement is going to kill me !
-
Mate, i do the same with the misses thing lol. Shes like why cant you pay me that much attention then is in a mood when i give the car attention lol.
They really are an amazing car. And your situation with your mate getting one sounds perfect, i need mk3 golf friends lol
well if your anywhere close to luton always welcome to come see me :wink:
Only an hour and a half away lol..maybe one i will :)
Properly fell in love with mine last night, could not stop smiling!!!! Fitted the full leather interior anda set of audi pepperpots and ohhhhh myyyyyyy!!!! It actually looks amazing!!! Took it to the petrol station and had people asking me and chatting to me..and the best bit is, my mate who owns a gorgeous nissan s14a said he's actually jealous ;) LOVE IT!!!!