GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: 67buggers on 26 May 2012, 21:03

Title: Joey'd lights
Post by: 67buggers on 26 May 2012, 21:03
Right as I'm now keeping my mk3 I've decided to get it finished.......I really want to joey the lights but I'm worried because last time I did a set I used what was described as soft masking tape to mask them up but when I peeled it off it took the chrome up with it in places....any body got any recommendation on what tape to use to prevent this? Also can some one please tell me what helper springs are on coil overs and what effect removing them has.  :smiley:
Title: Re: Joey'd lights
Post by: dom on 26 May 2012, 21:48
I've joey'd a few sets of headlights and never masked them up, a ball of tissue and a steady hand is all that you need.

Helper springs are the small springs above the adjuster rings, removing them allows you to go lower.
Title: Re: Joey'd lights
Post by: 67buggers on 26 May 2012, 22:01
Nice one....they'll be coming out then! Will tissue be ok? I have heard you use Vaseline but not tried it
Title: Re: Joey'd lights
Post by: Screech16v on 26 May 2012, 23:16
Vasaline and tissue ummm  :grin:
Title: Re: Joey'd lights
Post by: search on 26 May 2012, 23:38
Vasaline and tissue ummm  :grin:

LULZ.

i'v not done it but will be attempting it soon. but did see a guy with mk4 style lights brushed paint on.  i cant do this as i have a blue car i expect black cars can do this as black is pretty much black lol.

maybe cut out some cardboard same size shape etc etc.
Title: Re: Joey'd lights
Post by: stainesy on 27 May 2012, 09:09
i did mine with a brush so no need to mask anything. just cut it in.
Title: Re: Joey'd lights
Post by: liva2704 on 27 May 2012, 09:12
Did mie with a brush also,easy enough if you take your time and hav'nt had a drink the night before :sick:
Title: Re: Joey'd lights
Post by: Deano2711 on 27 May 2012, 09:17
Kids paint brush and a can of paint is all you need. Takes a bit of time and a couple of coats but looks loads better when done  :wink:
Title: Re: Joey'd lights
Post by: Dogbot on 27 May 2012, 10:10
if you get the tape, an you stick it to a clean surface a few times it will loose its tack, altenatively you could buy yourself some low tack lining tape from your local bodyshop stores likes of southern paint supplies or leonard brookes paints
that will not bleed like normal household masking tape and is designed for lining onto hardening fresh paint in the paint booth.

Im personally yet to see a set of joey'd lights brush painted that dont look gash close up no matter how many coats you put on, willing to be proven wrong tho guys please do tho maybe your craftmanship is better than the ones i have seen so far, however you can reduce the brush strokes in the paint a great deal by putting the can of paint in a pot of very hot water, this aids a smooth brush stroke, but for something like this you will need a longer brush hair & a good quality brush, its kinda like coach painting technique.

the choice is yours tho!!
Title: Re: Joey'd lights
Post by: Junior74 on 27 May 2012, 11:10
As said, paintbrush and tin of paint...
Title: Re: Joey'd lights
Post by: 67buggers on 27 May 2012, 11:42
Cheers guys I hadn't even though to brush paint them....was just spraying. I have some fly eyes on order so won't see brush marks either .....that's my next mod sorted then  :smiley:
Title: Re: Joey'd lights
Post by: Gti_Jamo on 27 May 2012, 12:49
There is a guide here which I will be using which uses a cotton bud instead of a brush. Supposed to me much neater.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.119177912860.99321.507827860&type=3&l=33d3f7ff5b
Title: Re: Joey'd lights
Post by: 67buggers on 27 May 2012, 21:29
Just done this with a brush.........looks a million times better. Cheers guys
Title: Re: Joey'd lights
Post by: Dogbot on 27 May 2012, 22:07
that one with the cotton bud looks fab!! i stand corrected!!  :cool: