GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: search on 26 May 2012, 15:26

Title: what's fuel like on a vr6
Post by: search on 26 May 2012, 15:26
one of the reasons I like my 1.4 is due to fuel pretty good about a tenner will get me from Poole to Weymouth and back. that's about 45 miles round trip I think. what's the vr6 like? even gti? as I'm on side lines to upgrade to one lol.
Title: Re: what's fuel like on a vr6
Post by: BenGTI16v on 26 May 2012, 15:37
my gti 16v costs me about 35 quid a week to do 180 miles to and from work on A roads usually around 35 mpg but its terrible in town traffic
Title: Re: what's fuel like on a vr6
Post by: clancy on 26 May 2012, 17:25
Hi mate, I live in Weymouth. My 8v gti will go to Poole and back for between 10-15£ which is alright but as said above round town and real short journeys it's pretty poor tbh, just find myself massively avoiding short journeys where possible
Title: Re: what's fuel like on a vr6
Post by: F17BAD on 26 May 2012, 17:26
one of the reasons I like my 1.4 is due to fuel pretty good about a tenner will get me from Poole to Weymouth and back. that's about 45 miles round trip I think. what's the vr6 like? even gti? as I'm on side lines to upgrade to one lol.

mate that is sh!t

my S3 engined MK3 will do more than that to a tenner
Title: Re: what's fuel like on a vr6
Post by: Bandit127 on 26 May 2012, 17:35
Unless my maths is out you are doing 27 mpg (@ 1.38 pence per litre).  :shocked:

My 8V GTi is lucky to see 30 mph on the crawl to work and spends 1/3 of that at more like 5 mph. Has a stuck open thermostat. And still does 30 mpg on that journey.

I would expect to see at least 35 mpg from it on your journey.
Title: Re: what's fuel like on a vr6
Post by: tweed on 26 May 2012, 18:15
I just took my vr6 out. Put £30 quid super unleaded and it did 17mpg on some b roads  :grin:

You don't buy a vr6 to go slow and get good mpg  :laugh:
Title: Re: what's fuel like on a vr6
Post by: johnnyvr6 on 26 May 2012, 18:27
one of the reasons I like my 1.4 is due to fuel pretty good about a tenner will get me from Poole to Weymouth and back. that's about 45 miles round trip I think. what's the vr6 like? even gti? as I'm on side lines to upgrade to one lol.

mate that is sh!t

my S3 engined MK3 will do more than that to a tenner

1.8t's are good on fuel and alot more tunable than a vr6
Title: Re: what's fuel like on a vr6
Post by: search on 26 May 2012, 19:09
Hi mate, I live in Weymouth. My 8v gti will go to Poole and back for between 10-15£ which is alright but as said above round town and real short journeys it's pretty poor tbh, just find myself massively avoiding short journeys where possible

Thats cool man,  im down weymouth a lot of the time. sounds the same as mine but mines just a 1.4 hmmm might just got for a 8v GTi
Title: Re: what's fuel like on a vr6
Post by: search on 26 May 2012, 19:11
People its £10 for the whole trip there and back not just £10 there and then £10 back i think that pretty good :-/  (just googled my journey and it says it was 75miles all in all. bit more than i thought lol.
Title: Re: what's fuel like on a vr6
Post by: search on 26 May 2012, 19:28
A gallon is just over 4 1/2 litres when i put £10 it give me just under 8 litres and i'm doing generally 45 miles on this. (dual carriage trip) thinking about it this includes picking friends up and a stop at tesco.
Title: Re: what's fuel like on a vr6
Post by: Bandit127 on 26 May 2012, 19:42
£10 is 7.25l @ £1.38. Divide by 4.54 to get gallons = 1.60. 45 miles with 1.6 gallons used is 28 mpg.

It could be your 1.4 is a bit heavier on juice at dual carriageway speeds. Mine is the first car I have had for many years where the consumption is definitely worse at 75 than 65 - due to the short 5th gear I presume. Somewhere between 4-6 mpg. I couldn't tell the difference on the 3.0 MV6.

A VR6 will probably be loping along at those speeds and may well be much better than the 1.4. But if you had a VR6 you probably wouldn't be doing 'those speeds'...  :grin:

Title: Re: what's fuel like on a vr6
Post by: Gavv8 on 26 May 2012, 21:03
If the first thing that comes to mind is fuel consumption maybe a VR6 is not the right car for you.
Title: Re: what's fuel like on a vr6
Post by: dom on 26 May 2012, 21:46
one of the reasons I like my 1.4 is due to fuel pretty good about a tenner will get me from Poole to Weymouth and back. that's about 45 miles round trip I think. what's the vr6 like? even gti? as I'm on side lines to upgrade to one lol.

mate that is sh!t

my S3 engined MK3 will do more than that to a tenner

1.8t's are good on fuel and alot more tunable than a vr6

More tunable yes, good on fuel no! My 1.8T is tuned and I see about a 28mpg average, 22-23mpg around town and 32-33mpg on a motorway run.

I'd expect similar from a VR6.

If the first thing that comes to mind is fuel consumption maybe a VR6 is not the right car for you.

Definitely, going from a 1.4 to a 2.8 will be a big hit to the wallet. If your concerned about fuel consumption then don't buy a VR6.
Title: Re: what's fuel like on a vr6
Post by: search on 26 May 2012, 21:49
yeah my bank account says NO! insurance is a b!tch to EH!!!

but yeah turns out i did 75 miles on ten thats got to be fair for a 1.4?
Title: Re: what's fuel like on a vr6
Post by: Wayne on 26 May 2012, 21:52
More tunable yes, good on fuel no! My 1.8T is tuned and I see about a 28mpg average, 22-23mpg around town and 32-33mpg on a motorway run.

Agreed, mine is worse than that :sad:
Title: Re: what's fuel like on a vr6
Post by: GTIANNIVERSARY16V on 27 May 2012, 10:21
I put 50 quid at least a week in my 16v.
When I went to Manchester and back on the weekends (150 miles) that would cost 40 quid alone.
Now it's off road and I'm using the bus..... I should save some money lol
Title: Re: what's fuel like on a vr6
Post by: johnnyvr6 on 27 May 2012, 10:34
my 1.8t gives 32 mpg on roads and motorway can get 36-38 mpg obviously driving on the roads getting 32mpg i take it easy
Title: Re: what's fuel like on a vr6
Post by: tweed on 27 May 2012, 14:30
Had a 20 min blast today and got 11mpg in the vr6  :laugh: