GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: pinson on 24 May 2012, 22:17
-
Hi,
I am new to this forum and have already spent the last 1 1/2 hours going through loads of posts.
I am having issues with my 8v gti cutting out. I have cleaned the breathers and throttle body out but problems still persists. It seems to be fine until I let the revs drop back down, they drop to around 800 rpm and then it either bounces back to 1000 rpm or cuts out.
Any ideas?
-
Just did a quick search on "cutting out". Not a lot of wisdom actually...
But this thread seems to have the same symptoms as you do:
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=205479.0 (http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=205479.0)
Vac hoses and breathers according to that. My initial guess was a vacuum leak too - worth looking at.
Would help with further replies if you can post your engine code (e.g. AGG).
-
mine had this, turned out to be the maf
-
Yep I also had this problem and it also turned out to be the MAF
-
Thanks for the help on this, can the MAF be repaired or is it better to replace?
-
Depends on the type. On my AGG ('97 8v GTi) I removed it and sprayed it with brake cleaner. The wires looked brittle. Some have advised gentle cleaning with a cotton bud - but I just sprayed the crap out of mine and let it dry. Break a wire and it is fecked.
For the price of a tin of brake cleaner give this a go.
If it makes no difference you may need a new one. Personally I would get one from a scrappy - highly unlikely you will get another with the same fault...
-
I believe you can unplug the maf on an agg and it will run on default settings. If unplugging it sorts the cutting out then you have your diagnosis.
-
Thanks, i have bought a carb cleaning kit so shall try that.
I have a '93 gti 8v on a K plate, not sure what my engine code is though. I have noticed there is a slight difference on K plates to the likes of P and R plates as mine has the idle control valve visible by the head.
-
Your 93 would be a "2E" with Digifant injection. I suspect your problem is with the "cigar" i.e. the idle stabilisation valve.
Take off and soak in break cleaner, probably it is just stuck - a very common issue on 2Es :smiley:
Had one of them before I got my 1.8 AAM.
-
Used my carb and throttle cleaner on the throttle body, cleaned all the breathers, disconnected the maf and cleaned that. I also took the 'cigar' off and cleaned that.
I am pleased to say it is running well now! So far it hasn't cut out and before if I let the accelrator off it would drop below 1000 rpm and attempt to cut out which it no longer does. Not sure if it was any of the above specifically or just in general. My guess is it was the 'cigar' being seized.
Thanks with your help on this.