GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: GolfGL on 17 May 2012, 00:14

Title: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
Post by: GolfGL on 17 May 2012, 00:14
Hi,

So my headlining is hanging down at the front, just before the screen. Should there be something to hold it in place or do i just need some spray glue to reattach it.

Can headlining be cleaned and whats the best stuff as it has a few light marks?

Thanks
Adam
Title: Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
Post by: Edwh0re on 17 May 2012, 07:10
|Its a common problem with them that they drop at the leading edge.  It will need glueing up, what I have done with mine is pin it up with a couple of dressmaking pins as a temporary measure until I get around to dropping it out the car and recovering it.
Title: Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
Post by: Deano2711 on 17 May 2012, 09:22
Removing the headlining is easy really then I used Prit Stick to seal mine on my old Golf which had dropped (useful tip from Wayne  :wink:). I have sprayed mine Black as well and then put back in. Removal can be done in half hour with no sunroof and an extra 10 mins with the sunroof.
Title: Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
Post by: GolfGL on 17 May 2012, 20:41
Do you think i need to remove it to refit it or can it be done in situ?   I was thinking of getting some carpet glue but will try the prit stick as i have some in my office draw
Title: Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
Post by: Deano2711 on 17 May 2012, 21:11
It could be done in the car really but if you want to clean it up then its much easier out of the car where you can lay it on the ground and clean it properly. As I said though I sprayed mine Black which looks smart and clean.
Title: Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
Post by: harlemex on 17 May 2012, 22:00
Pritt stick  :grin: :grin: you could also try blu tac oe semen  :laugh:

You will find that the lining is going to keep on peeling as soon as you try and re stick it. You need high temperature glue to hold it in place.
Title: Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
Post by: Deano2711 on 18 May 2012, 08:56
I actually used my Daughters prit stick on my old Golf and it did the job and stayed there for the duration of my ownership if the car. Don't knock it till you've tried it  :cool:
Title: Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
Post by: harlemex on 19 May 2012, 15:18
All due respect but the big issue with headling glue is heat.. Pritt stick may be okay for temporary, but as soon as you get those heaters directed at the windscreen that glue is gonna melt, fact. Not to mention the extreme temperatures inside a car in the summer. Im sure if pritt stick was that good vw would have used it  :grin:

Also, the foam behind the headlining becomes dry and brittle and it literally disintegrates, have a look and see. Dont try and tell me pritt stick will sort that issue out.  :cool:
Title: Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
Post by: Deano2711 on 19 May 2012, 21:31
Have you tried it ??   I am guessing NO and I have and the fact is that it worked on mine. I have the heaters set onto the windscreen probably 90% of the time the heaters are on. My headlining was sagging and then after using Prit Stick it was not and NEVER fell back down.
Don't diss my help for something I have done and you have not until you try it. It does sound crazy but genuinely works and you have NO PROOF whatsoever to suggest it does not work  :wink:
Title: Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
Post by: harlemex on 20 May 2012, 00:44
keep your hair on, pritt stick boy. I have used the stuff, but not on headlining. Are you saying it would be possible to re cover your whole headlining using pritt stick? I have recovered mine and I used high temp glue. There have been many other people re cover there headlining only to have it sag due to the heat action on the glue they used, which is why pritt stick seemed abit doubtful to me. Maybe its okay temporarily. I also sealed my headliner with diluted pva in order to repair the disintegrating issue. If your headlining foam is rotting then nothing will stick to crumbs and thats pure physics. As for proof, wheres yours?  :wink:
Title: Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
Post by: Deano2711 on 20 May 2012, 07:55
My proof is my old 8v reg number N77 VWG. The new owner will confirm the headlining was mint on it. And I was not saying it would do a full recover cause it wouldn't. The original post was in regards to the part of the headlining right actoss the windscreen where the material cover comes away from the sponge (common problem). When I removed mine I used a Prit Stick to stick this down then sprayed mine Black. I had the car for four months after this and was fine and I saw the car some 13 months later and the interior was mint which caught my eye and there was no sagging. So dont tell me its not possible when I did it !!!!!!!!  :tongue:
Title: Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
Post by: GolfGL on 10 June 2012, 11:40
Top tip Deano, the prit stck is holding strong and saved me atleast a fiver on  spray glue, cheers!
Adam
Title: Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
Post by: mrsaunders on 10 June 2012, 11:55
Top tip Deano, the prit stck is holding strong and saved me atleast a fiver on  spray glue, cheers!
Adam

I think that says it all really, loads of people use pritt stick, I did on my old polo and not once did it fall down in 2 years
Title: Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
Post by: scooter perv on 10 June 2012, 19:52
The lip at the front was hanging down on ours just behind the sunvisors and I bought some high temp spray glue of ebay for about £10 and its holding up. On my old my old mk2 half the rear was hanging down and I done it with carpet glue about 3 times and every time it got hot it fell down...although that was vinyl and quite heavy.
Title: Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
Post by: Dogbot on 10 June 2012, 20:50
cleaned my whole interior yesterday with a family members aqua vac, he used to valet high end luxury and sports cars in spain, he recently returned home to stay & so he brought the kit over an showed us how it was done, seats, carpets the lot my car looks an smells as fresh as the day it left wolfsberg, 15 years ago!!!   :cool:

(http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z292/sammy-jo1986/525040_10150953632683114_1020668886_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
Post by: Khare on 11 June 2012, 19:20

I've just bought fabric and glue to retrim my headlining.

This spray glue is very highly recommended by a lot of people, I would suggest giving it a shot.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIM-FIX-HIGH-HEAT-RESISTANCE-ADHESIVE-500ml-x2-cans-/320897322174?pt=UK_Crafts_Cardmaking_Scrapbooking_Glue_Tape_EH&hash=item4ab6f88cbe#ht_500wt_969 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIM-FIX-HIGH-HEAT-RESISTANCE-ADHESIVE-500ml-x2-cans-/320897322174?pt=UK_Crafts_Cardmaking_Scrapbooking_Glue_Tape_EH&hash=item4ab6f88cbe#ht_500wt_969)
Title: Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
Post by: tweed on 12 June 2012, 10:36

I've just bought fabric and glue to retrim my headlining.

This spray glue is very highly recommended by a lot of people, I would suggest giving it a shot.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIM-FIX-HIGH-HEAT-RESISTANCE-ADHESIVE-500ml-x2-cans-/320897322174?pt=UK_Crafts_Cardmaking_Scrapbooking_Glue_Tape_EH&hash=item4ab6f88cbe#ht_500wt_969 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIM-FIX-HIGH-HEAT-RESISTANCE-ADHESIVE-500ml-x2-cans-/320897322174?pt=UK_Crafts_Cardmaking_Scrapbooking_Glue_Tape_EH&hash=item4ab6f88cbe#ht_500wt_969)


Where you get the fabric? Been trying to get some myself
Title: Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
Post by: Khare on 12 June 2012, 13:10
Ebay mate, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-FAUX-SUEDE-SUEDETTE-FABRIC-WIDTH-150cms-/120928671224?pt=UK_Crafts_Fabric_Textiles_SM&hash=item1c27e915f8#ht_599wt_905 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-FAUX-SUEDE-SUEDETTE-FABRIC-WIDTH-150cms-/120928671224?pt=UK_Crafts_Fabric_Textiles_SM&hash=item1c27e915f8#ht_599wt_905)

I email him at info@jaskwear.com asking for 2.5m x 1.5m, which has more than enough to cover the whole thing. You could probably use 2m but I got extra to cover sun visors and sunroof slide.
Title: Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
Post by: tweed on 12 June 2012, 17:36
Cheers dude!!

Il get 2 because I have black visors and no sun roof. But do need black grab handles.
Title: Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
Post by: Khare on 12 June 2012, 17:49
I'd get 2.5m bud, it only cost me £12 something. Reason I said 2m is enough is because when I measured I got 190cm from front to back, but you might want a bit extra for getting the ends right so you can fold it back on itself.
Title: Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
Post by: tweed on 12 June 2012, 19:25
I'd get 2.5m bud, it only cost me £12 something. Reason I said 2m is enough is because when I measured I got 190cm from front to back, but you might want a bit extra for getting the ends right so you can fold it back on itself.


Yeah our right!

Nice one big dawg
Title: Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
Post by: Buckfizzturbo on 12 June 2012, 19:31
This has to be the cheapest way to clean headlining and cream trims.

What I used was some 15p tesco kitchen sponges and some 1001 carpet cleaner. Bit of hot water scrub away with the rough side of the sponge and allow to dry or use wet vac etc if available. I left mine on its side over night near the radiator. The outcome:

(http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn161/nathan444_photos/mk3%20golf/IMG_0428.jpg)
(http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn161/nathan444_photos/mk3%20golf/IMG_0427.jpg)

Not the best pics but it all cleaned up really nice. Not bad for bout £5
Title: Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
Post by: Shady Pioneer on 12 June 2012, 19:39
That's a good outcome mate, I'm wanting to get blak ABC pillars and do something with the headlining to match personally, but may give this a go for the short term.
Title: Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
Post by: Dogbot on 12 June 2012, 19:44
good outcome bukz, however what i didnt know untill i was educated by my cousin, is that unless you can flush out the detergent thoroughly, it will get dirty very rapidly, same with carpets aparently :cool:
Title: Re: Headlining refixing and cleaning advice
Post by: Buckfizzturbo on 13 June 2012, 01:20
Cheers shady im the same as you but until then I had to make the interior mint and this really did work. The plastics look like new.

Thanks dogbot perhaps a good Hoover of the roof lining once clean and dried would sort that. I really don't like a dirty interior so do tend to keep on top of it