GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: Dan_GTi8v on 09 May 2012, 22:32

Title: coilover adjustments
Post by: Dan_GTi8v on 09 May 2012, 22:32
This may be a bit of a noob question but I have zero coilover experience and all the recent threads about them have got me thinking its been a while since I've wasted a load of wonga on my car

I'm already lowered 40mm on wietecs which gives me a spot on ride but I do sometimes wish it was a bit lower, only trouble is I cant practically go any lower and keep it as a daily due to work etc. what exactly is involved in adjusting the ride height? is it a quick job or would it be a pain in the arse adjusting every week or so?
Title: Re: coilover adjustments
Post by: Deano2711 on 09 May 2012, 22:35
If you keep your coilover threads cleanish and copper greased then they can be adjusted in minutes Mate. Take the wheel off and mine can be adjusted by hand as I have no spanner. I recently did both my rear ones in 15 minutes  :wink:
Title: Re: coilover adjustments
Post by: Len on 09 May 2012, 22:37
Pain in the arse!


Wheels off/car up in air (on stands)

Count number of winds up or down to make sure you get the car even.
Will take a lot of up and downing until you get what ride height you want.
Title: Re: coilover adjustments
Post by: mcgee9t2 on 09 May 2012, 22:40
yeah not practical to be changing height daily. cold always get stance+ and take out the helper springs, thats what im doing so i can be -120 normally then -90 when i think im going to hit something/need to go over a speed bump  :grin:
Title: Re: coilover adjustments
Post by: Wayne on 09 May 2012, 23:52
Fit them and set as required, to keep adjusting them is a pain plus you will need camber and tracking checking each time.
Title: Re: coilover adjustments
Post by: Khare on 10 May 2012, 00:35
You need hydraulics if you want stance and practicality. I'm afraid with anything other than hydraulics you can't get both, it's either one or the other.
Title: Re: coilover adjustments
Post by: stainesy on 10 May 2012, 07:19
Yep you want air ride if you plan on going up and down.
Title: Re: coilover adjustments
Post by: Dan_GTi8v on 10 May 2012, 11:07
f**k it then I'll stick with my fixed kit  :grin:
Title: Re: coilover adjustments
Post by: Len on 10 May 2012, 12:04
If you keep your coilover threads cleanish and copper greased then they can be adjusted in minutes Mate. Take the wheel off and mine can be adjusted by hand as I have no spanner. I recently did both my rear ones in 15 minutes  :wink:

That not safe!

There are two "nuts" for a reason - so they lock together tight!
Title: Re: coilover adjustments
Post by: thai-wronghorse on 10 May 2012, 13:04
I didn't think that sounded right either.
Title: Re: coilover adjustments
Post by: gti gaz on 10 May 2012, 22:36
Yeah would not recomend that either
Title: Re: coilover adjustments
Post by: murraymint on 10 May 2012, 22:42
I can adjust mine by hand...... After loosening the nut with the spanners
Title: Re: coilover adjustments
Post by: Len on 11 May 2012, 12:09
I can adjust mine by hand...... After loosening the nut with the spanners

Thats how it should be.
Title: Re: coilover adjustments
Post by: search on 11 May 2012, 12:38
just jumping on the band waggon here. anyone know what size C spanners i need for my coilovers? i got them second hand you see and want to go a bit lower at the front.

(cant believe some people go 120 mines not even all the way at the bottom and i still hit speed bumps, i expect just means you got to go even slower??)
Title: Re: coilover adjustments
Post by: 67buggers on 12 May 2012, 03:41
I keep reading about helper springs being removed but don't know what they are!! Will they let me go lower?
Title: Re: coilover adjustments
Post by: Dogbot on 12 May 2012, 10:04
just jumping on the band waggon here. anyone know what size C spanners i need for my coilovers? i got them second hand you see and want to go a bit lower at the front.

(cant believe some people go 120 mines not even all the way at the bottom and i still hit speed bumps, i expect just means you got to go even slower??)

My valver is down 120 and yes some roads you just have to avoid, but it's more about reading the road ahead spotting dips, bumps, potholes and high road cambers, my sump has a few scrapes but not broken one yet, the gearbox bell housing where it sits lower than the sump that gets a spanking ocasionally, speed bumps you just have to get inventive with the route over them... But mainly it's about reading the road ahead which you should be doing anyway, just now your looking for more important dangers... Something that will break your sump pmsl...