GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: Willyboy on 08 May 2012, 13:44

Title: Coilover choice.
Post by: Willyboy on 08 May 2012, 13:44
Hi everyone im new to this site and would like a little bit of help choosing the right coilover kit for my 1997 mk3 golf gti 8v. Ive been looking at the spax rsx kit but im not sure if there any good. If anyone could me id be very greatful. Cheers Will
Title: Re: Coilover choice.
Post by: Wayne on 08 May 2012, 13:49
Do you really need coilovers, if not then fit a decent quality spring and shock kit.
Title: Re: Coilover choice.
Post by: Dan_GTi8v on 08 May 2012, 20:36
Wietec Hicon GT or GTN are the coilovers I would recommend, though as Wayne says if you dont need coilovers just get a fixed kit. same money spent on a fixed kit will generally get you better quality
Title: Re: Coilover choice.
Post by: kodkod.84 on 08 May 2012, 22:03
Yes I have weitec hicon gt and am impressed. They are not as harsh as i thought they would be :)
Title: Re: Coilover choice.
Post by: Willyboy on 08 May 2012, 22:33
I already have koni adjustable shocks and lowering springs and ive had them a year and they complete crap as one of them is now leaking. Are the weitec hicon gt or gtn kits stiff?
Title: Re: Coilover choice.
Post by: Wayne on 08 May 2012, 23:57
I already have koni adjustable shocks and lowering springs and ive had them a year and they complete crap as one of them is now leaking. Are the weitec hicon gt or gtn kits stiff?

Strange you have had issues with Koni, they are top notch
Title: Re: Coilover choice.
Post by: Willyboy on 09 May 2012, 10:01
Thats what thought until i had one rear adjust more than the other. A front adjuster lock up and now a shock is leaking after a year.
Title: Re: Coilover choice.
Post by: Willyboy on 09 May 2012, 13:17
Does anyone know if the spax rsx coilover kits are any good?
Title: Re: Coilover choice.
Post by: Dan_GTi8v on 09 May 2012, 17:36
Dont have any experience with spax coilovers but I did have a set of their fixed and didnt think much of them. saying that though I have'nt read much bad about their coilovers

With the Wietecs they come in 3 types, GTN and GT I'm not sure what the difference is but I know the GTN is cheaper, there damping is set at around 30%. They also have a TX kit which has adjustable damping
Title: Re: Coilover choice.
Post by: Len on 09 May 2012, 20:26
Spax are generally very good but I would also have said that about Koni too!

Wietec and FK's are good.

Depends how much you want to spend really.
Title: Re: Coilover choice.
Post by: Willyboy on 09 May 2012, 21:02
I can get the spax rsx coilovers for £530 so wouldnt really want to spend anymore than £600
Title: Re: Coilover choice.
Post by: Dogbot on 09 May 2012, 21:18
You can get kw variant 1's for £450....
Title: Re: Coilover choice.
Post by: Len on 09 May 2012, 21:35
Do the Spax ones have adjustable damping as well?
Title: Re: Coilover choice.
Post by: Willyboy on 09 May 2012, 21:43
Are the kw variant 1 kit adjustable damping? And the spax are fully adjustable.
Title: Re: Coilover choice.
Post by: Dan_GTi8v on 09 May 2012, 22:27
I'm no coilover guru but I would say £530 is quite cheap for a fully adjustable set which would put me off buying them after having more than enough of cheap suspension problems in the past, just my opinion though I'm sure there will be plenty of people who rate them  :smiley:
Title: Re: Coilover choice.
Post by: Willyboy on 10 May 2012, 10:25
Weitec hicon tx coilovers or Spax rsx coilovers. Which would you go for peoples?
Title: Re: Coilover choice.
Post by: VR6_Wherry on 10 May 2012, 10:34
Having the SPAX PSX kit which had adjustable dampering, they have been the best by far! My only concern with the RSX kit is that it doesn't allow you to lower it too much.
Title: Re: Coilover choice.
Post by: Dan_GTi8v on 10 May 2012, 11:09
between spax or wietec I would go wietec all day long, would of thought they are a bit more expensive though?
Title: Re: Coilover choice.
Post by: Len on 10 May 2012, 12:07
My FK Konigsports cost me £560 but I think they are now over £700! :shocked:
Title: Re: Coilover choice.
Post by: VR6_Wherry on 10 May 2012, 12:16
My FK Konigsports cost me £560 but I think they are now over £700! :shocked:

This is what my next purchase was going to be, i get VAT off so save over £100  :smug:
Title: Re: Coilover choice.
Post by: Willyboy on 10 May 2012, 13:40
I think i might go with the weitec coilovers then. I cant go to low anyways because of the size of wheels
Title: Re: Coilover choice.
Post by: Willyboy on 11 May 2012, 12:20
Also what top mounts should i use?
Title: Re: Coilover choice.
Post by: Len on 11 May 2012, 12:26
Also what top mounts should i use?


New ones? :rolleyes:
Title: Re: Coilover choice.
Post by: Willyboy on 11 May 2012, 14:23
LOL. I mean like genuine, aftermarket or poly?
Title: Re: Coilover choice.
Post by: Dan_GTi8v on 11 May 2012, 19:07
I used topran ones from eurocarparts
Title: Re: Coilover choice.
Post by: Khare on 11 May 2012, 19:10
Febi are the most popular and the best quality IMO.