GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: Jasikasisback on 03 May 2012, 23:35
-
lost my key today at work. (silly me really)
Got only one key left...how much for a replacement key and is this only through the dealers?
Still got one key...really will it cost a lot for a replacement? I hope not!...
I really hope someone finds it a work!
Anyone know how much a spare key costs?
-
A key blank can be had for a few quid the expensive bit is the chip inside it... I have no idea how much if possible To even get them now...
-
most shoe repair/key cutting places can do mk3 keys programmed for £20ish (or less)
simpsons did mine a year or several back for £15
-
ok so they will supply the key and the transponder? That sounds reasonable for £20 quid...the dealers charge around £100...yikes!
-
Dealers can still supply them, they can also code them at cost, note that if you want a genuine VW key you're out of luck VW ran out and the dealers supply aftermarket keys now, on my last mk3 I ordered a new key which was £21 inc cutting, then I got local key cutting guy to code it for a fiver :wink:
edit: you may be able to get a genuine blank key off ebay :wink:
-
i asked around and it's £50 which is a hell of a lot of money for a key..
-
i asked around and it's £50 which is a hell of a lot of money for a key..
But possibly one of the most important components of a car.
-
nahhh..they've just made it more important than it really is...in the 70's could start a car without a key....i don't get a discount on insurance for the safety feature on the golf anyways so it's just a nuisance...rather just have a plain key to start the car...anyways i will really really take care of this key...:)
-
i don't get a discount on insurance for the safety feature on the golf anyways so it's just a nuisance...
ah but if vw never fitted the chipped key you'd pay more as the insurance group would be higher
did you try http://www.timpson.co.uk/services/66/non-remote-car-keys (http://www.timpson.co.uk/services/66/non-remote-car-keys)
-
yeah..they said the key would cost £50..guess it really went up in price over the last few years!
-
dig out yellow pages and have a look, when my dad is back off holiday is getting a spare key coded up, he got quoted £35 by local companies :cool:
-
I will take a good look. I'm hoping it will turn up at work within a week...never thought they were so expensive to replace!
-
Never knew the keys had a chip. How does it work as the plastic key looks pretty basic (I have one without the light). Is it magnetic?