GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: greencode on 03 May 2012, 20:41

Title: Random creaking and knocks from under car
Post by: greencode on 03 May 2012, 20:41
On my MK3 16V GTI I've just started encountering random creaking noises (from when going around right turns slowly) and knocks when I go over speed bumps.

I've no real idea what it is but just thought I'd ask in case anyone else has had the same thing happen. Just before I have to take it to the garage.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
Title: Re: Random creaking and knocks from under car
Post by: Gavv8 on 03 May 2012, 21:01
Possibly front suspension top mounts and/or bearings.
Title: Re: Random creaking and knocks from under car
Post by: Wayne on 03 May 2012, 21:35
Could also be you rear beam bushes
Title: Re: Random creaking and knocks from under car
Post by: greencode on 03 May 2012, 22:54
Forgive my lack of garage knowledge but they both sound expensive. Any idea the kind of price for if it were either of these? I think I obviously need to take it into the garage. I don't know - you don't have any issues for a few years and then suddenly all at once :-(
Title: Re: Random creaking and knocks from under car
Post by: Gavv8 on 04 May 2012, 05:56
Neither is particularly expensive but the front top mounts are a fairly straight forward job and the rear beam bushes are generally a real ballache to change, look in the mk3 maint section or use search and you will find info on how/what/where.