GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: kodkod.84 on 02 May 2012, 20:49

Title: Friendly Drivers
Post by: kodkod.84 on 02 May 2012, 20:49
Don't know if it is because the MK3 is becoming a rarer sight on the roads, or if it's just that the drivers are just a really friendly crowd, but have been flashed and waved at numerous times by overtaking and oncoming MK3s

Never had this in my other cars so quite a novelty :)
Title: Re: Friendly Drivers
Post by: Gavv8 on 02 May 2012, 21:00
Makes me nervous when people start waving and flashing lights....
Title: Re: Friendly Drivers
Post by: kodkod.84 on 02 May 2012, 21:05
Lol it would me normally too but its normally accompanied with a thumbs up and only from MK3s. Otherwise I would think my car is broken or speed trap!
Title: Re: Friendly Drivers
Post by: Luke1981 on 02 May 2012, 21:08
That's never happened to me! Sure they were being friendly or is your driving that bad you get flashed all the time?  :grin:
Title: Re: Friendly Drivers
Post by: topher on 02 May 2012, 21:09
its morse code, very common method of communication between ships :afro:
Title: Re: Friendly Drivers
Post by: CJA321 on 02 May 2012, 21:10
its morse code, very common method of communication between ships :afro:

low blow....... :laugh:
Title: Re: Friendly Drivers
Post by: Luke1981 on 02 May 2012, 21:11
its morse code, very common method of communication between ships :afro:
:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
Title: Re: Friendly Drivers
Post by: Gavv8 on 02 May 2012, 21:18
its morse code, very common method of communication between ships :afro:
Sigh...........
Title: Re: Friendly Drivers
Post by: kodkod.84 on 02 May 2012, 21:32
Don't think it's the driving- but guess I don't pilot my boat at a great rate of knots for the GTI model :)
Should get some semaphore flags to stick on the aerial too
Title: Re: Friendly Drivers
Post by: stainesy on 02 May 2012, 21:33
i have niticed in my slammed mk3 i had this all the time from other mk3s and any other slammed vws but in my new standered mk3 not lowered yet nobody flashes or waves. think it s a slammed vw thing
Title: Re: Friendly Drivers
Post by: search on 02 May 2012, 21:43
I find when i go to Mcdonalds i get a lot of strange looks from all the cool kids in there amazing saxos parked there for god knows how long. Crease.
Title: Re: Friendly Drivers
Post by: murraymint on 02 May 2012, 22:11
i have niticed in my slammed mk3 i had this all the time from other mk3s and any other slammed vws but in my new standered mk3 not lowered yet nobody flashes or waves. think it s a slammed vw thing

i get the same as this now im in a standard gti, cant wait to see the looks i get when im in a slammed mk2 jetta  :cool:
Title: Re: Friendly Drivers
Post by: Dan_GTi8v on 02 May 2012, 22:25
its morse code, very common method of communication between ships :afro:

who let you in here? :P

have been flashed and waved at numerous times by overtaking and oncoming MK3s

I never get this, though possibly because its always be doing the overtaking  :grin: but I've seen a few lowered mk3's around my way and none of them acknowledge me :(

I do get some looks when I drive through town late at night from all the cool kids, and I do enjoy the occasional blast when one of them trys it on  :evil: the ear bashing I get afterwards from the misses though is not so fun
Title: Re: Friendly Drivers
Post by: Len on 02 May 2012, 22:47
I think the op had something hanging off his car!
or was driving too slow
or maybe had foglights on?


 :rolleyes:
Title: Re: Friendly Drivers
Post by: bluquarta on 03 May 2012, 11:50
i have niticed in my slammed mk3 i had this all the time from other mk3s and any other slammed vws but in my new standered mk3 not lowered yet nobody flashes or waves. think it s a slammed vw thing

yeah noticed this too. Pulled up alongside a gorgeous slammed mk2 with stunning black and chrome rims a while back. Nice mutual nod of approval! Altho I did feel a bit inferior and sat there thinking "don't look down at my scuffed 15's - its work in progress!"  :grin:
Title: Re: Friendly Drivers
Post by: negawsklov on 03 May 2012, 16:30
Always had it driving air cooled vw's so I can only assume that those people had marured into water pumpers..
Title: Re: Friendly Drivers
Post by: LowlifeDubber on 04 May 2012, 20:06
Mine seems to be the talking point of every delivery driver that comes to the door(mainly takeaway drivers) it was nice for a start but when they stand there wanting to talk about it whilst not letting me have my food,it is no fun anymore.  :grin:

I now send the missus to the door and she knows nothing about cars so they soon leave.She's also ruthless when it comes to tips where i tend to give them loads so its win win. :evil:
Title: Re: Friendly Drivers
Post by: stainesy on 04 May 2012, 20:11
lol i always get stopped by people when i used to wash my black mk3 outside the house and people ask about it. got so fed up with trying to explain the differant front end on it to people as most had never heard of a vento
Title: Re: Friendly Drivers
Post by: gasketface on 04 May 2012, 20:56
they think you are that "bloke off the telly"  :smiley:
Title: Re: Friendly Drivers
Post by: search on 04 May 2012, 21:02
lol i always get stopped by people when i used to wash my black mk3 outside the house and people ask about it. got so fed up with trying to explain the differant front end on it to people as most had never heard of a vento

vento front end are amazing tbf i'll be going that way after summer.
Title: Re: Friendly Drivers
Post by: stainesy on 04 May 2012, 21:24
they think you are that "bloke off the telly"  :smiley:

 :undecided:
Title: Re: Friendly Drivers
Post by: SCO_VAG on 04 May 2012, 22:44
The other week I was sat at some lights beside a chap in a lovely Lancia Delta, while sat there he puts his window down and comments on the rareness of the 16v anni.... quite ironic coming from a guy in a mint Delta HF Turbo of which there are like 30 left  :shocked:
Title: Re: Friendly Drivers
Post by: kodkod.84 on 04 May 2012, 23:17
Had that comment today on the rareness of the Anni from a guy at  during the MOT- he said there were like 80 something left. He had an edition 30 which got stolen :(

Oh and car passed MOT with 1 advisory- Obstruction in drivers view removed (tomtom holder)!!
Title: Re: Friendly Drivers
Post by: leigh_harty on 05 May 2012, 08:44
Funnily enough i only get the 'wave' from the mk2 boys from my area, only get flashed out of junctions by the mk2s  :cool: :cool:
Title: Re: Friendly Drivers
Post by: Screech16v on 05 May 2012, 13:49
I only get  acknowledgement from van drivers :undecided: ,a nod and thumbs up this morning,and some guy last week flicking the v,s at me ,no idea  :huh:
Title: Re: Friendly Drivers
Post by: eamonnism on 05 May 2012, 15:25
I get it from other mk3s, usually lower ones than mine.  :undecided: and from other people I've been to shows/meets with.
Title: Re: Friendly Drivers
Post by: murraymint on 05 May 2012, 15:29
I get it from other mk3s, usually lower ones than mine.  :undecided: and from other people I've been to shows/meets with.

really liking the look of your car btw  :cool: i was rocking the same steels on my old mk3
Title: Re: Friendly Drivers
Post by: GTIANNIVERSARY16V on 05 May 2012, 20:51
I get acknowledged by mk3 and mk2 drivers....9 times out of ten...its a subtle "nod" lol
Title: Re: Friendly Drivers
Post by: Dan_GTi8v on 05 May 2012, 21:00
I feel a bit jealous of you all now :( only guy that ever comments on mine is a delivery driver I get occasionally delivering car parts :P
Title: Re: Friendly Drivers
Post by: eamonnism on 06 May 2012, 07:05
I get it from other mk3s, usually lower ones than mine.  :undecided: and from other people I've been to shows/meets with.

really liking the look of your car btw  :cool: i was rocking the same steels on my old mk3

Thanks man.  :smiley: Just wish they filled the arches more, spacers are on my shopping list!
Title: Re: Friendly Drivers
Post by: GTIANNIVERSARY16V on 06 May 2012, 14:25
I never know whether to nod or wave....as i don't want the other driving thinking "whos that prat?.......my other cars in the garage......an audi rs4" pmsl
Title: Re: Friendly Drivers
Post by: simc66 on 06 May 2012, 23:20
Get it all the time in the camper or the missus Beetle - air cooled thing obviously, but I did get a wave from a lass in a smart pimped up Lupo the other day, and have had it a few times from Mk3s.
Title: Re: Friendly Drivers
Post by: Edwh0re on 07 May 2012, 07:37
I get it all the time in my Golf, the "nod of dub" or "dub love/appreciation".  Never from anything newer than a mk3, but it comes from modified Mk1/2/3 Golf/Polo owners.  I do it too, if I see a modded water cooled dub on the road that I appreciate. 

My missus is jealous of it, she tried to start it in her (non chavvy) modified Corsa with other Vauxhall drivers, but everyone would just stare at her like she had grown a second head  :grin:
Title: Re: Friendly Drivers
Post by: Gavv8 on 07 May 2012, 11:02
I think dub owners have always been a pretty friendly bunch, it goes back to the 60's with the hippies in beetles and microbus's and it seems to have carried on down the years with vw owners and fans being a bit more laid back and relaxed than other marques, it also seems to me that vw isn't tarred with the same brush as audi and bmw owners who have a reputation for being fairly aggressive and pushy on the roads.
Title: Re: Friendly Drivers
Post by: stainesy on 07 May 2012, 11:02
iv also had a lot of time people do the vw hand sign at me. i tried to do it back once but forgot how to do it so i think i did the volcan star trek sign instead  :grin:
Title: Re: Friendly Drivers
Post by: Screech16v on 07 May 2012, 11:13
 :grin: :laugh:
Title: Re: Friendly Drivers
Post by: GTIANNIVERSARY16V on 07 May 2012, 11:15
VW hand sign?
I'd probably accidentally stick my fingers up lol
Title: Re: Friendly Drivers
Post by: stainesy on 07 May 2012, 12:48
VW hand sign?
I'd probably accidentally stick my fingers up lol


 :grin: