GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: stainesy on 27 April 2012, 20:19
-
Ok looks like I have found the first problem with the new car.
When driving. Every time I eccelerate I have a loud SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS from the exhaust.
Gets louder the more I put my foot down.
Any ideas? I'm thinking collapsed cat or baffles gone in one of the boxes.
But wanted other opinions.
-
hole?
-
Think there is a tiny hole in the middle box but the sound is coming out the exhaust at rear of car. Realy loud sssssssshhhhhhhh on ecceleration.
-
Away to find out for sure if there's a hole is an old skool tip lol. Put your hand over the exhaust and the car should cut out if there's no hole... if it don't cut out then i expect a hole.
-
As above, I had the same problem and it was a loose joint between the back box and cat!
-
hole, leaky gasket, could be on to something with cat internals :grin:
-
Sounds like someone has fitted a dump valve thingy. Look in the backbox
-
Sounds like someone has fitted a dump valve thingy. Look in the backbox
Yeah it does sound like one of them stupid things you stick up the back box. Mine still has the original downswept tailpipe tho so doubt one of them would fit.
-
Do the noise again...... :grin:
-
you would be suprised theres a gti round here with standard box and 2 of them whistling heap of turds in there never know it might be fitted down the exhaust a bit for extra sound as it goes through rear box worth checking imo
-
Ok after investigation it turns put my backbox has a blockage.
It has the standered gti down swept backbox. Got my mate to rev wile I put my hand over them. Only 1 of them has pressure coming out of it. The other has a little farts worth coming out. So no sure of the piping inside them back boxes but one side is blocked. Tried sticking a a really long screwdriver down it but still wasn't long enough to reach anything.
-
ok exhaust fixed.
used a 10mm drain cleaning cable and pushed it all the way through the backbox and gave it a good clean out. worked a treat :cool: :grin:
-
good good glad you found it looking forward to filling my milltek in a coupke of weeks