GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: b_boy02 on 26 April 2012, 19:26

Title: Photos of basic LED swap on black dials
Post by: b_boy02 on 26 April 2012, 19:26
I thought I would stick up some comparatitive photos of my dials as most the pics of LED swap ins on the forum are of white dials. First I swapped just the dial bulbs for blue LEDs, then later I added some UV LEDS.

Standard:
(http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y243/b_boy02/GreenDials.jpg)

Blue LEDs:
(http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y243/b_boy02/BlueDials.jpg)

Blue and UV LEDs....Not much difference but the UV does make all the red glow up:
(http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y243/b_boy02/UVBlueDials.jpg)
Title: Re: Photos of basic LED swap on black dials
Post by: gti gaz on 26 April 2012, 22:24
looks a lot better with the clock and the mileometer done as well just remove the green film and new bulbs job done  :grin:
Title: Re: Photos of basic LED swap on black dials
Post by: t1m on 26 April 2012, 22:27
do you have a link for the bulbs you used please ?
Title: Re: Photos of basic LED swap on black dials
Post by: gti gaz on 26 April 2012, 22:32
will set one up in a sec
Title: Re: Photos of basic LED swap on black dials
Post by: gti gaz on 26 April 2012, 22:37
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-T5-Blue-LED-Car-Speedo-Dashboard-Light-Bulb-Lamp-/251030400723?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a7293eed3

pretty sure these are the ones you want dont buy the any cheap ones i made that mistake


http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-BLUE-509T-T5-TWIST-LOCK-509-T-LED-DASH-BULBS-UK-/250788255214?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a642515ee


or these
Title: Re: Photos of basic LED swap on black dials
Post by: b_boy02 on 27 April 2012, 08:36
looks a lot better with the clock and the mileometer done as well just remove the green film and new bulbs job done  :grin:

Unfortunately I have the later type dials where the LCD Screens are soldered into the circuit board....It is possible but not something I want to tackle right now with my dodgy skills!
Title: Re: Photos of basic LED swap on black dials
Post by: b_boy02 on 27 April 2012, 08:45
do you have a link for the bulbs you used please ?

If you are just changing the dial bulbs for blue LEDs, don't forget to remove the green filter strip below the bulbs or they wont light anything. Replace the green strip with a bit of tracing paper to get even light transfer. If you want to add extra LEDs there are guides on here but rather than solder in new ones with resistors I just got more dash bulb replacement ones and drilled/dremeled out more fitment holes in between the metal strips, that provide the power, and twisted them in....works fine!