GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: Jamin on 18 April 2012, 11:35

Title: How to tighten alternator belt
Post by: Jamin on 18 April 2012, 11:35
Hi,

As above really. Been pouring through this section but can't seem to find one.

The alternator is starting to go on my gti 16v. Looking to see if tightening the belt can save it or if need to get a new one. Any help or links would be appreciated!!
Title: Re: How to tighten alternator belt
Post by: andy-gti84 on 20 April 2012, 19:32
best getting new one plus if cam belt not been done then get that done as well mate.  :smiley:
Title: Re: How to tighten alternator belt
Post by: VW BUSH on 20 April 2012, 19:35
Alternator belt is self tightening, if its loose then you need a new belt
Title: Re: How to tighten alternator belt
Post by: Jamin on 21 April 2012, 15:13
Thanks andy. Cam belt was done at 180k and the car is now showing 192k, should be ok I think.

Vw bush - had a look at the belt the other day. No teeth missing and no cracks in it so I'm wondering if it the alternator that's on it's way out. The battery light on the dash went out a couple of days ago. New alternator not cheap from what I've seen online.....£130 is the cheapest I've found  :sad:

Thanks for the advice guys!!!!
Title: Re: How to tighten alternator belt
Post by: shelaghmk3gti on 21 April 2012, 16:00
£98.10 inc on the ECP website with forum discount

see here

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ enter discount code GGTIUK25 for 25% off all [non performance]parts
Title: Re: How to tighten alternator belt
Post by: andy-gti84 on 21 April 2012, 20:31
try ebay mate u can get second hand one for cheap but just have a shop about plus try europart like shel said  :smiley:. if it is lipping then u might just need to tight it back up..... there a bolt on the side just slak it off a bit an pull it up at same time then retight it up.

hope u get it sorted mate  :smiley:
Title: Re: How to tighten alternator belt
Post by: Jamin on 22 April 2012, 22:33
Thanks for that shelagh!! 25% off takes the sting out of it a bit!!!

Andy- just gonna get a new alternator I reckon cos then it's done. Just hoping the car makes it pay day!!!!
Title: Re: How to tighten alternator belt
Post by: shelaghmk3gti on 23 April 2012, 17:14
Thanks for that shelagh!! 25% off takes the sting out of it a bit!!!

Andy- just gonna get a new alternator I reckon cos then it's done. Just hoping the car makes it pay day!!!!


 its only a little bit, but hey its better than a kick up the bum .hope you manage to get it sorted x
Title: Re: How to tighten alternator belt
Post by: itavaltalainen on 30 April 2012, 21:13
I'd first pull out the voltage regulator in the alternator, inspect the electrodes. If those are worn replace the regulator (unless you can find carbon electrodes somewhere).
Alternators hardly die as such - as long as bearing and free-wheel are working I'd try that first. Regulator cost approx 20£, electrodes even only around 5£...
Title: Re: How to tighten alternator belt
Post by: Jamin on 02 May 2012, 18:27
That sounds a bit too technical for me. Not much of a mechanic I'm afraid.