GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: 67buggers on 15 April 2012, 22:17

Title: LEDs
Post by: 67buggers on 15 April 2012, 22:17
Just finished changing all my LEDs......I now have red LEDs in all my switches a blue in all my dials :smiley: :smiley: looks ace, headlight switch was a b!tch to do though!
Title: Re: LEDs
Post by: Luke1981 on 15 April 2012, 22:33
Get some photos up bud  :smiley:
Title: Re: LEDs
Post by: 67buggers on 15 April 2012, 22:49
I'll get some tomorrow, need to nick my mrs phone cause mines crap!
Title: Re: LEDs
Post by: gti gaz on 15 April 2012, 23:14
Have a couple of people have done this and I am no elec genius is it a hard job?
Title: Re: LEDs
Post by: 67buggers on 15 April 2012, 23:39
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=181457.0

I'm no genius either, just followed this guide. The hardest bit is taking the switches apart. Well worth doing though
Title: Re: LEDs
Post by: sharki786 on 16 April 2012, 14:14
its not that hard to do. You just need to know the + side and - side of the switch, but the long leg of the LED is +. Anyway how did you the headlight switch? I tried it and messed it up.
Title: Re: LEDs
Post by: gti gaz on 16 April 2012, 16:58
I did my clocks ages ago but didn't fancy doing the switches might have a crack at them soon
Title: Re: LEDs
Post by: dom on 16 April 2012, 21:40
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=181457.0

I'm no genius either, just followed this guide. The hardest bit is taking the switches apart. Well worth doing though

I miss my old car :cry:
Title: Re: LEDs
Post by: 67buggers on 16 April 2012, 22:01
The hedlight switch was a ball ache, there is a lever on one side which looks like it wont move any further, you just have to use push it more and it opens.....not the best description, I'll try and get some pics for you
Title: Re: LEDs
Post by: sharki786 on 17 April 2012, 09:22
i got the headlight switch apart but as it has a green tint i just couldnt get it to light up red properly
Title: Re: LEDs
Post by: Bigbrysgti on 17 April 2012, 14:36
I really want to do this, wheres the best place to get Led's?

Seen then on Ebad but unsure if they are correct. i want to make the inside of my mk3 look like the inside of my mk5, lights wise if you know what i mean.
Title: Re: LEDs
Post by: sharki786 on 17 April 2012, 15:02
you need 12v leds. In the window switches you have limited space. I got my 12v leds from rs componants but they was the red leds. The heater controls have loads of space behind but you can get this plastic piece that fits behind the heater dial control. Think the website is noman.pl or norman.pl its about £20.
Title: Re: LEDs
Post by: 67buggers on 17 April 2012, 16:34
Mine wasn't tinted just a green led which was soldered in to the board bit likebthevheated rear screen switch. Got my LEDs off eBay, brought per wired as they have all the resistors attached already to convert them to 12v
Title: Re: LEDs
Post by: Bigbrysgti on 17 April 2012, 19:35
Got any links to them?
Title: Re: LEDs
Post by: 67buggers on 17 April 2012, 21:40
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-x-Pre-wired-3mm-Bright-Red-LEDs-Prewired-12V-LED-/280790960482?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item4160720962#ht_1054wt_922

This is who I brought from, 3mm is best but you can use 5mm. When they come you will need to remove the wire a just use the led and resistor, this way saves you soldering the resistors on. If your doing the heaters you need the wires on.