GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: SCO_VAG on 12 April 2012, 20:30

Title: Anyone lowered just 40mm?... Pics?
Post by: SCO_VAG on 12 April 2012, 20:30
Alrite guys! the reason I ask is that I had a slammed 6n and it was quite horrible to drive but looked nice lol.. Dont really want to go down the same route for my Mk3, just looking to stiffen her up a bit :tongue:.


Thought a good 40mm spring n shock kit should do the trick? Or mabey 60/40 not sure, just dont want it to rub atall or the deep splitter to be too low for speedbumps :embarassed:


Anyone willing to share their lows so Ive got a rough idea! Sitting on BBS Rx2s.


Cheers, John.

Title: Re: Anyone lowered just 40mm?... Pics?
Post by: boneybradley on 12 April 2012, 21:51
40mm in this thread (without the rx's) http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=68845.0 (http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=68845.0)
Title: Re: Anyone lowered just 40mm?... Pics?
Post by: gizmomk3 on 12 April 2012, 22:06
I'm dropping my little mk3 40mm next weekend iv got 13inc wheels (yes 13) and the car will sit level with the top of my wheel
Title: Re: Anyone lowered just 40mm?... Pics?
Post by: boneybradley on 12 April 2012, 22:12
I'm dropping my little mk3 40mm next weekend iv got 13inc wheels (yes 13) and the car will sit level with the top of my wheel

check my thread....mine was 40mm (but with new shocks) and it wasn't nearly enough! (and no where near level with my tyres)
Title: Re: Anyone lowered just 40mm?... Pics?
Post by: thai-wronghorse on 12 April 2012, 23:42
Mine is approximately 40mm lower than standard ride height on Eibach Sportline springs and Weitec shortened struts (adjustable spring cups on rear). With the standard 15'' Longbeach alloys it didn't seem quite enough but with my current 16'' BBS RX's which fill the arches better i'd say it was just about right for a daily driven family car without looking like a scared cat.
I think de-arch trimming it also helped to remove the illusion that it was sitting higher than it actually was as well due to having less black around the arch / tyre line.
Title: Re: Anyone lowered just 40mm?... Pics?
Post by: SCO_VAG on 13 April 2012, 00:39
Mine is approximately 40mm lower than standard ride height on Eibach Sportline springs and Weitec shortened struts (adjustable spring cups on rear). With the standard 15'' Longbeach alloys it didn't seem quite enough but with my current 16'' BBS RX's which fill the arches better i'd say it was just about right for a daily driven family car without looking like a scared cat.
I think de-arch trimming it also helped to remove the illusion that it was sitting higher than it actually was as well due to having less black around the arch / tyre line.


Thanks for the reply man! Sounds like a good shock/spring pairing. Does it handle well?
Title: Re: Anyone lowered just 40mm?... Pics?
Post by: Dan_GTi8v on 13 April 2012, 12:33
mine is dropped 40mm, though I have no recent pics I can say that with a vr front splitter it sits just high enough to clear the square type speed bumps (the ones you can just get the tyres either side of) and scrapes ever so slightly when coming out of my works car park ramp, so I'd say if you want a daily driver that you dont need to worry about catching stuff on the 'great' British roads 40mm is the way to go

I run 16s with 45 profiles

Kit I have is a Wietec ultra GT and it drives like its on rails  :cool: getting a good quality kit is a must none of this £100 ebay coilover kit b0llocks
Title: Re: Anyone lowered just 40mm?... Pics?
Post by: SCO_VAG on 13 April 2012, 12:44
mine is dropped 40mm, though I have no recent pics I can say that with a vr front splitter it sits just high enough to clear the square type speed bumps (the ones you can just get the tyres either side of) and scrapes ever so slightly when coming out of my works car park ramp, so I'd say if you want a daily driver that you dont need to worry about catching stuff on the 'great' British roads 40mm is the way to go

I run 16s with 45 profiles

Kit I have is a Wietec ultra GT and it drives like its on rails  :cool: getting a good quality kit is a must none of this £100 ebay coilover kit b0llocks


Cheers for replying mate! Think a good 40mm kit it is then.
Title: Re: Anyone lowered just 40mm?... Pics?
Post by: Screech16v on 13 April 2012, 18:39
Not the best pics but 40mm and rx  :smiley:
(http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa478/screech16v/Photo0682.jpg)
(http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa478/screech16v/nt027.jpg)
Title: Re: Anyone lowered just 40mm?... Pics?
Post by: kahunajb on 13 April 2012, 18:51
That looks spot on to me. In the process of fitting mine at the moment.
Title: Re: Anyone lowered just 40mm?... Pics?
Post by: shelaghmk3gti on 13 April 2012, 19:39
mines 40... but screeches looks nicer.. how does that work then  :sad:
Title: Re: Anyone lowered just 40mm?... Pics?
Post by: ttelracs on 13 April 2012, 22:13
I went the cheap route and bought some JOM 60/40 (don't laugh) matched shocks and springs for £ 50 delivered. A bargain and handles well enough,  but a definite harsh ride. On a budget and will only fit 2nd hand or used items, unless they are crucial to safety !
Daily driver by the way too.  The front spoiler catches when reversing out of some drives and kerbs when parking but can straddle mose speed humps when driving solo. A different matter with passengers though.
Always fit new mounts and ensure the front mounts are fitted the correct way as the ones that came of mine were not.
No pics, but looks good. 16v model.
Title: Re: Anyone lowered just 40mm?... Pics?
Post by: search on 13 April 2012, 22:22
just measured from my arch to wheel nut 30 at back 32 at front. iv not got a C spanner to go lower. iv only had my car lowerd a day and already think it needs to be lower lol.
Title: Re: Anyone lowered just 40mm?... Pics?
Post by: kahunajb on 14 April 2012, 09:11
I think you are right shelagh screeched does look lower than 40mm. What kit is it screech?
Title: Re: Anyone lowered just 40mm?... Pics?
Post by: thai-wronghorse on 14 April 2012, 13:22
I've just had a peer out of the window and mine looks to be the same as screech's with the front just a touch lower than the rear.
Title: Re: Anyone lowered just 40mm?... Pics?
Post by: Screech16v on 14 April 2012, 18:23
Mines supposed to be 40, i purchased them second hand so cant be sure,koni front and rear.I also have 25mm spacers on the rear in the first pic,maybe that makes it look different .