GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: Khare on 12 April 2012, 16:44

Title: No Longer **URGENT** VW VOTEX ROOF BARS
Post by: Khare on 12 April 2012, 16:44
Got these roof bars

(http://www.grevers.com/jetta/RACK3.JPG)

However I've tried to fit them and they seem too short width-wise. They're missing a few inches from width. Am I missing something? I can't see them being able to be made wider.

Need a reply asap as I'm planning on going to the track tomorrow with the kart and I'm relying on these to take the kart there!
Title: Re: **URGENT** VW VOTEX ROOF BARS
Post by: boneybradley on 12 April 2012, 16:46
they dont hang over the edge of the roof, these sit more or less flush with the rubber roof strips (btw the end caps are missing in your photo)
Title: Re: **URGENT** VW VOTEX ROOF BARS
Post by: Khare on 12 April 2012, 16:48
Not my photo, nicked off google, but yes mine are missing end caps too.

I can't see how they sit flush with the rubber strips though, they aren't wide enough.
Title: Re: **URGENT** VW VOTEX ROOF BARS
Post by: brett on 12 April 2012, 16:51
if you wind the allen key bolts out quite a way they do fit as i have some ,you should have some markings on the rubber roof strips front and back,you lift it up and the end slides under the seal and hooks on.if it doesnt rain in the next 5-10 will put mine on and take some pics,certain roof bars are marked front and rear aswell
Title: Re: **URGENT** VW VOTEX ROOF BARS
Post by: Khare on 12 April 2012, 16:53
Cheers gti novice. Pics would be awesome if possible although I found this.

(http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u246/bigbadbill1234/IMG_1894.jpg)

Is it like this that they go? Also one is shorter than the other, is the shorter one for the front?
Title: Re: **URGENT** VW VOTEX ROOF BARS
Post by: brett on 12 April 2012, 17:07
thats the pic you want not sure on the width of them hang on a sec will measure them lol,the edge of the bars sits almost flush with the seal on the roof,prob y look like they dont fit ,mine has a pic on each roof bar showing front of car and rear ,will take some pics now ,brett
Title: Re: **URGENT** VW VOTEX ROOF BARS
Post by: murraymint on 12 April 2012, 17:08
Yh that's how they sit. One is shorter then the other as the roof tapers back. This confused me also but the shorter one goes at the back. I think that there's little arrows on the black roof trim where they go.

Title: Re: **URGENT** VW VOTEX ROOF BARS
Post by: Khare on 12 April 2012, 17:09
Done it my friend. Tightened them up and they seem pretty strong after I gave them a good tug. Hopefully the kart won't come off tomorrow!  :grin: :grin: :grin:
Title: Re: **URGENT** VW VOTEX ROOF BARS
Post by: murraymint on 12 April 2012, 17:19
Done it my friend. Tightened them up and they seem pretty strong after I gave them a good tug. Hopefully the kart won't come off tomorrow!  :grin: :grin: :grin:

Were gunna need pics of the mk3 with the kart on top!
Title: Re: **URGENT** VW VOTEX ROOF BARS
Post by: brett on 12 April 2012, 17:28
d'oh feckin laptop ,took some pics took ages to upload on pb lol,glad you got it sorted mate
Title: Re: **URGENT** VW VOTEX ROOF BARS
Post by: Khare on 12 April 2012, 21:04
(http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh115/kharekatoh/mobile/IMG_20120412_193103.jpg)

Roof racks on. I quite like the look  :lipsrsealed:
Title: Re: **URGENT** VW VOTEX ROOF BARS
Post by: murraymint on 12 April 2012, 21:21
(http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh115/kharekatoh/mobile/IMG_20120412_193103.jpg)

Roof racks on. I quite like the look  :lipsrsealed:

+1 I like my mk3 with the bars, they suit it well IMO

(http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h364/murrayminf/Photo0467.jpg)
Title: Re: No Longer **URGENT** VW VOTEX ROOF BARS
Post by: thai-wronghorse on 12 April 2012, 23:30
Can't say I'm a fan but if they're on there to do a job then so be it. The next thing we'll be hearing is that it's cool to tow a caravan.
Title: Re: No Longer **URGENT** VW VOTEX ROOF BARS
Post by: murraymint on 12 April 2012, 23:35
Can't say I'm a fan but if they're on there to do a job then so be it. The next thing we'll be hearing is that it's cool to tow a caravan.

Caravans FTMFW  :grin:
Title: Re: No Longer **URGENT** VW VOTEX ROOF BARS
Post by: Khare on 14 April 2012, 11:45
Can't say I'm a fan but if they're on there to do a job then so be it. The next thing we'll be hearing is that it's cool to tow a caravan.

Nah, not caravan. But trailer yes  :grin:

(http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh115/kharekatoh/Kart/478800_10150654718921721_630751720_9404244_159389684_o.jpg)

Loading the kart on the roof wasn't difficult between me and a mate, but he's back at uni now so it's the girlfriend I have to rely on. Need to find a cheap trailer and tow eye then somewhere to store it, it'd make life much easier as the kart could travel with engine included rather than take it on and off for every travel.
Title: Re: No Longer **URGENT** VW VOTEX ROOF BARS
Post by: thai-wronghorse on 14 April 2012, 13:19
My valver came with a genuine VW tow hitch / bumper bar when i got it...that was soon skipped and weighed a bloody ton!
Title: Re: No Longer **URGENT** VW VOTEX ROOF BARS
Post by: Khare on 14 April 2012, 17:28
Is fitting a tow bar and electrics easy?

Looking at something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Westfalia-Towbar-Volkswagen-Golf-Mk3-1991-1997-Swan-Neck-Tow-Bar-/290617560252?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item43aa280cbc#ht_2653wt_1185 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Westfalia-Towbar-Volkswagen-Golf-Mk3-1991-1997-Swan-Neck-Tow-Bar-/290617560252?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item43aa280cbc#ht_2653wt_1185)

Swan neck so there's no need to cut the bumper, and 2 bolts to remove the towbar.