GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: ruffryder on 06 April 2012, 21:28
-
My cl estate cut out today as towed home its not fueling u can hear realay clicking so I checked fuel pump an when u turn key it pushes abit of fuel out the out aria pipe so I'm stuck is it the fuel pump just not pushing enough if so how do u get the out I got ring off an pulled top up but how do u get bottom white bit out that's in tank
-
Probably the pump failing, they get 'lazy' over time and just stop delivering the right pressure needed to run the car. if you remove the top, unscrew the ring it should just lift out.
Hope that helps
Matt
-
Sitting over the tank facing the front of the car grab the top of the pump unit (the white body you can see and twist it 1/4 way anticlockwise - it will pop free.
The base of the tank and the pump have a simple locking mechnanism. Then you just need to carefully wriggle the pump, pipes and the fuel level sender out of the tank. Beware of fdamaging the fuel level sender arm.
-
Fitted a gti pump bit diff ro original fuel level bits diff but still not running but its pushing fuel from out bit it was a 2nd hand pump off running car could there vw a block like the injector what's best to check now it runs on car cleaner to air box so defo a fuel prob
-
can we have some punctuation so we can understand you?
-
Ok so my car stoped running, its not fueling it has a spark an runs with a spray of carb cleanner so defo a fuel prob.
I've tried a different fuel pump an still no luck both pumps seem to send fuel as without the out pipe on the pump it kicks fuel out. Unsure where I should try now any one help
-
does the pump run when u crank the engine?
could be fuel pump relay.
-
Just tried a relay its not that, when I take the pipe off the fuel pump that goes to the engine from the pump an turn key it kicks out fuel so it seems to work, so I'm stuck could it be a block in pipe or injector or could it be 2 duff pumps that pump but not enough to reach engine. I cant here pump make a noise though I don't know if you do on a golf
-
could be filter, or injector wiring? quite common for the loom to break up.
-
Ok ill check the out on the filter ill have to find the wire to injector, an how do you mean breaks up u mean the wires crack in the loom
-
Ok I've tried more test there is fuel getting all the way to the car so um stuck now is it the carb that's done , does it have itts own relay or duesc
-
oh yes - single point injection.... Its powered by the ECU and the ECU relay (no 30). But if it runs, its likely there is no issue with either.
Best get a auto electrical guy out I guess. I was thinking of the multipoint injection when I said the wires crack on the loom, not sure on the SPI's of the cable routing etc.
Sounds like pump, filter and pipes ok, but injector not opening / failed / stuck etc. Sounds like crank/cam sensor ok as it runs with carb cleaner.
James
-
Where are they and would it be wor :lipsrsealed:th getting another carb an trying that thanks for the help
-
worth a go I suppose, but depends if this is 'the' fault or not.
-
I'll test power feed to it first then have the carb off sick of it now
-
if you have a test light (LED not lamp) you should see a flickering between Live and trigger (its trigger is switched to gnd) - kinda the reverse from normal (gnd->live), when its cranking.
James
-
Ok I have a lamp will try ill have to see what wires what an it just flickers when trying to turn over you say so its as if its just jetting, may save cash on a carb
-
Ok not tried new carb yet but tried new injector an wireing to it at carb but no joy, its only reading 5v at the conector to the injector could that be the prob and why would it under power it ?. I'm stuck now
-
Ok tried new carb still wount run stuck now what realy would it be what can I do
-
Dunno. Probably best to get a mechanic to look at it - we've tried the obvious and sounds like something else is going on...
-
It this rate its heading for scrap could it be the pump still , fuel is getting to the carb its just not injecting could it be needs more pressure. A lot of fuel comes out of pipe when I checked so i thought it was fine, really could do with it sorted as cash is very
-
To check the fuel pump you can run a simple test. Take the pump relay out and bridge the connection - then you should hear the pump run smoothly if you listen carefully - if you hear a continuous sound it should be fine. A way to test it more thoroughly to get a clear canister and some clear tubing with approx 10mm ID. Disconnect the fuel line from the out port of the fuel filter and connect the hose there, other end goes into canister (obviously you should have done this with pump being off).
Then bridge the pump in relay box again - you should have a fairly constant flow of petrol! It should run out a a few liters / min (think it took me 15-30 mins to pump my tank empty before scrapping my Golf). If the stream seems to be "pulsing" it could be pump, if it is just slow could be fuel filter.
But another thing I would try with AAM/ABS/ADZ engines ALWAYS is the plastic flange that connects the monomotronic to the intake manifold, with age they crack and let air in your ECU doesn't know about. That's pretty $¤¤¤ design ;)
-
Where's that connection mate ill do the fuel test 2moz think it flows well I'd is of thought with a faint flow it would fire but cut, it just turns won't run