GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: SCO_VAG on 05 April 2012, 19:56

Title: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: SCO_VAG on 05 April 2012, 19:56
Took my new Valver for It's first motorway blast this evening and holy crap she shifts well! And sounds meaty with her new Jetex system (anyone else run this?)


Before I bought one I was told by numerous useless mates that they're not that quick but I disagree.. 5th gear at 70 and you can tell it just wants to keep on pulling, (but obviously I dont  :lipsrsealed: ) Although I suppose coming from a 1L 6n Polo that was dangerously slow would make anything feel quick :grin:

I mean fair enough theirs obviously alot quicker out there but for a 96 Golf it's got some serious anger problems!



Anyone else love there Valver lol ?  :smiley:

Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: Screech16v on 05 April 2012, 20:01
If your driving it properly you should be in third at 70  :grin:
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: SCO_VAG on 05 April 2012, 20:04
If your driving it properly you should be in third at 70  :grin:

Which brings me on to... Fuel consumption  :angry:
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: VW BUSH on 05 April 2012, 20:08
Rapid if you are used to a 1.0 polo for sure, slow as fook if you have just stepped out of GT4 :grin:
By todays standards they are slow but a few years back they were average but entertaining :smiley:
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: Jamin on 05 April 2012, 20:12
Anything seems slow after the turbo rush  :wink:

If you drove like a nun the you can achieve 40 odd mpg......bit where's the fun in that!!!!!!!
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: Screech16v on 05 April 2012, 20:14
If your driving it properly you should be in third at 70  :grin:

Which brings me on to... Fuel consumption  :angry:
Why :angry: i average 33 allround ,what you getting?
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: SCO_VAG on 05 April 2012, 20:15
But even today they're still putting sluggish 1.2's and 4's in new cars, the Valver feels as if it could potentially outrun sh!tty Focus 1.6's and the all the rest of the mundane cement salsemans junk!  :smiley:
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: SCO_VAG on 05 April 2012, 20:17
If your driving it properly you should be in third at 70  :grin:

Which brings me on to... Fuel consumption  :angry:
Why :angry: i average 33 allround ,what you getting?


Well when I put my foot down I'm sure I could see the fuel needle go down slowly  :sad:
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: Screech16v on 05 April 2012, 20:21
That will be the g forces playing havoc with the fuel sender :laugh:
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: SCO_VAG on 05 April 2012, 20:22
That will be the g forces playing havoc with the fuel sender :laugh:

Haha.. oh dear  :shocked:
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: murraymint on 05 April 2012, 20:28
I got 42 mpg once but I was running on fumes! But when I drive It properly it drops to 27-31ish. And mine pritty quick too! But I did have a 1.6 mk3 before!
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: Jamin on 05 April 2012, 20:35
I have achieved 44 mpg going to York in slow traffic....well chuffed. On full chat somewhere around 25 mpg. Didn't buy it for fuel economy  :smiley:

Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: VR6_Wherry on 05 April 2012, 20:38
Haha try a vr6 then I get 18-22 maybe 28 if I'm really, really lucky! :grin:
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: murraymint on 05 April 2012, 20:50
Haha try a vr6 then I get 18-22 maybe 28 if I'm really, really lucky! :grin:

 :shocked:
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: VW BUSH on 05 April 2012, 20:56
Haha try a vr6 then I get 18-22 maybe 28 if I'm really, really lucky! :grin:

 :shocked:

If you leave the VR at home for a few days you might hit 40mpg :grin:
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: Dogbot on 05 April 2012, 22:01
Love mine, fully loaded with camping gear mine was a lot quicker than a mk2 8v that was empty, an I was pushing him along at 120, till he moved over lol

Tht was on a long straight dual carriageway although the little blighter of an 8v mk2 was slightly trickier to beat up on the twisties, not impossible but man I was working hard!!
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: AudiA8Quattro on 05 April 2012, 23:34
They are good solid motors, quite quick but also easy to work on.
A good compromise.
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: Wayne on 05 April 2012, 23:50
Valver = rapid  :shocked:  :undecided:  :grin:

Having driven a couple I do not think they are quick, however still a better bet than the VR as a day to day car.
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: thai-wronghorse on 06 April 2012, 00:10
Mildly frisky rather than rapid I'd say.
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: Gash on 06 April 2012, 02:27
130 in 4th :)
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: GTIANNIVERSARY16V on 06 April 2012, 14:01
I got the jettex system mate, with the cone induction.
Sounds nice, but i have a slight hole somewhere :(
So its abit over the top at the min.
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: sharki786 on 06 April 2012, 14:10
If your driving it properly you should be in third at 70  :grin:

nah sorry 90mph :smug:
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: SCO_VAG on 06 April 2012, 14:20
I got the jettex system mate, with the cone induction.
Sounds nice, but i have a slight hole somewhere :(
So its abit over the top at the min.

Yea man loving the Jetex.. nice clean subtle drone  :smiley:


Does the cone filter make any difference?
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: F17BAD on 06 April 2012, 17:22
they are quick .. compared to a ford Ka

but come up against a saxo VTs or similar at the lights and prepare to be embarrassed

 :grin:
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: tweed on 06 April 2012, 17:26
they are quick .. compared to a ford Ka

but come up against a saxo VTs or similar at the lights and prepare to be embarrassed

 :grin:

My cammed Saxo vts spanked vr6's  :grin:

A standard 16v and vts are very similar. 16v will win after 120mph but when do you get to that speed racing on b roads?
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: VW BUSH on 06 April 2012, 18:12
If your driving it properly you should be in third at 70  :grin:

nah sorry 90mph :smug:

My 8v pulls 90 in third :kiss:
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: Gti_Jamo on 06 April 2012, 18:28
I got spanked by a saxo vts off the lights in my Leon 1.8t.....good power to weight ratios but they drive so horribly!! Driven a valver but that was in an Mk3 Ibiza Cupra and that was seriously quick up the gears.
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: Screech16v on 06 April 2012, 20:11
If your driving it properly you should be in third at 70  :grin:

nah sorry 90mph :smug:

The op refered to 70 mph in 5th and not top speed in that gear,so if you were ringing its neck (driving it properly),at "70 mph" you would have just changed up to 3rd  :wink:
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: Wayne on 06 April 2012, 21:32
Does the cone filter make any difference?

Not really worth fitting tbh.
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: Dogbot on 06 April 2012, 21:38
Does the cone filter make any difference?

Not really worth fitting tbh.

Second that, too much heat soak  engine heat an saps power, I hav just modded the air box today after throwing my cone in the bin a while ago, seems much better, similar noise too
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: SCO_VAG on 07 April 2012, 01:56
Does the cone filter make any difference?

Not really worth fitting tbh.

Second that, too much heat soak  engine heat an saps power, I hav just modded the air box today after throwing my cone in the bin a while ago, seems much better, similar noise too

Whats this mod you speak of sir?
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: VW BUSH on 07 April 2012, 12:47
I will go easy on you  :wink: Please use the search. this subject has been covered and recovered more times than you have wanked.

you will find it is best to keep the standard airbox.

Found this using the search function, stood out amongst the airbox threads :grin:
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: GTIANNIVERSARY16V on 07 April 2012, 15:53
The other guys are right.....engine gets hot, theres also a flat spot in the rev range...hence why im looking for the original......
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: brett on 07 April 2012, 16:02
snap changed mine for an original when i got mine as it had k&n cone filter,got to pick up another one mon to do the airbox mod and may do the cold feed pipe to lower bumper grill aswell
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: stow1985 on 07 April 2012, 22:11
Does the cone filter make any difference?

Not really worth fitting tbh.

Second that, too much heat soak  engine heat an saps power, I hav just modded the air box today after throwing my cone in the bin a while ago, seems much better, similar noise too

Good boy!  :smiley:
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: Dogbot on 07 April 2012, 22:55
Lol I only hade cone on an hour, that piece o poo came straight back off, but never bothered to play with the airbox, then I had a few spare hours an thort to heck with it
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: stow1985 on 09 April 2012, 00:04
I've only drilled mine so still plenty of 'modding' to do to it!

but love the little sound when giving it the beans  :smiley:
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: Dogbot on 09 April 2012, 00:31
Yeah only drilled mine an blanked off warm air intake An removed the warm air valve atm,  still lots of smoothing to do an to fit velocity stacks in there
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: stow1985 on 09 April 2012, 00:42
Yeah only drilled mine an blanked off warm air intake An removed the warm air valve atm,  still lots of smoothing to do an to fit velocity stacks in there

Same here, but I haven't got the warm air valve to worry about, well I don't think I have anyway  :grin:
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: Ess_Three on 09 April 2012, 10:13
Yeah only drilled mine an blanked off warm air intake An removed the warm air valve atm,  still lots of smoothing to do an to fit velocity stacks in there

So you have drilled it?
And removed the warm air feed?
Surely the engine will just draw warm air in through the drilled holes?

If you don't want hot air in there, you need to make sure ALL the air is drawn in from a cold air feed.

I manage to get 190-200 BHP through a sealed, modified airbox, drawing air from directly behind the headlight...so the airbox is good for it.
Drilling holes only gives the path of least resistance to the warm air.
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: thai-wronghorse on 09 April 2012, 10:49
It works for me ^^^
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: Screech16v on 09 April 2012, 11:12
I stripped the insides of the air box ,completley smoothed top and bottom, plugged the warm air feed installed pipercross panel,installed 3"cold air feed from lower bumper replaced the grill with a duct ,left the original stack in the top but think i should replace this for a shorter version,so box is completley sealed,cant here any induction noise from in the cab now  :cry: any body else get no induction roar through this set up?
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: Dogbot on 09 April 2012, 11:34
I have only drilled on the wing side of the air box, I still have more work to do, I never said it was complete, I had a spare hour, an had the airbox out while looking for a noise so thought while it was out I'd go as far as I can go, but having not ordered any pipework weren't much point in ping any further, however what I would tick my neck out an say is that the airbox drilled on wing side, doesn't cause massive flat spots like the cone filter did...
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: stow1985 on 09 April 2012, 22:53
I have only drilled on the wing side of the air box, I still have more work to do, I never said it was complete, I had a spare hour, an had the airbox out while looking for a noise so thought while it was out I'd go as far as I can go, but having not ordered any pipework weren't much point in ping any further, however what I would tick my neck out an say is that the airbox drilled on wing side, doesn't cause massive flat spots like the cone filter did...

Were we separated at birth?  :grin: I did the same, wanted to make sure that any extra air being drawn in was going to be cold air

I stripped the insides of the air box ,completley smoothed top and bottom, plugged the warm air feed installed pipercross panel,installed 3"cold air feed from lower bumper replaced the grill with a duct ,left the original stack in the top but think i should replace this for a shorter version,so box is completley sealed,cant here any induction noise from in the cab now  :cry: any body else get no induction roar through this set up?


You wont get the induction roar from a sealed box.
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: Dogbot on 09 April 2012, 23:04
Oh yeah mark, I was hoping that the Wing side would recive a fairly healthy dose of cold ish air especially considering I have the hella quads an they are as sealed as a collender,
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: thai-wronghorse on 09 April 2012, 23:09
Quote
You wont get the induction roar from a sealed box.

You will if you increase the diameter of the intake opening and run a decent size duct out of it like I did.
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: thai-wronghorse on 09 April 2012, 23:10
Oh yeah mark, I was hoping that the Wing side would recive a fairly healthy dose of cold ish air especially considering I have the hella quads an they are as sealed as a collender,

If you lose all the restrictive plastic crap from the wing side intake opening and run your ducting out to it,  it's more than sufficient.
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: stow1985 on 09 April 2012, 23:11
Oh yeah mark, I was hoping that the Wing side would recive a fairly healthy dose of cold ish air especially considering I have the hella quads an they are as sealed as a collender,

I doubt we get any extra ooomph from doing it but I like the sound and I know I haven't made it worse off through doing it...and most importantly it was a 'free' mod my favourite   :grin:
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: stow1985 on 09 April 2012, 23:12
Quote
You wont get the induction roar from a sealed box.

You will if you increase the diameter of the intake opening and run a decent size duct out of it like I did.

Oh ok, I'l shut up then  :grin:
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: stow1985 on 10 April 2012, 12:45
For the record this is my air box...

(http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/224629_219082941435610_100000017160101_917710_5868448_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: forsh on 10 April 2012, 16:30
But even today they're still putting sluggish 1.2's and 4's in new cars, the Valver feels as if it could potentially outrun sh!tty Focus 1.6's and the all the rest of the mundane cement salsemans junk!  :smiley:

these days a 1.4 turbo has 150 horses
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: VR6_Wherry on 10 April 2012, 16:47
Just look at Hurdy's Polo 1.4T for example.

Producing something like 250bhp+ and running a 0-60 in 4.9 seconds..


http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=209696.410
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: stow1985 on 10 April 2012, 22:29
Just look at Hurdy's Polo 1.4T for example.

Producing something like 250bhp+ and running a 0-60 in 4.9 seconds..


http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=209696.410

Not really a comparison, only read his signature but looks like its highly tuned  :wink:
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: tweed on 10 April 2012, 22:42
There was a blue corrado in pvw that had a abf turbo, that made 450whp!!!


You can't compare a turbo engine to a na engine no matter what the cc.
My mates track r5 has 210hp and that's like 25 years old  :grin:
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: stow1985 on 10 April 2012, 23:19
I hate it when we start having these silly 'what's faster' conversations...

No doubt Valver's are relatively quick, the are a 2ltr twin cam engine for christ sake,

I don't think the 8v is slow, its not quick for that matter either...

you can never judge other cars on the road...I never thought my missus car was quick, I've beaten her a good few times from the lights, the only time I thought that her car was quick was when I drove it...

...The End
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: Bellend on 10 April 2012, 23:26
Didn't think the 8v was too slow. The MK4 2l now that's another matter! Was in a mates on Saturday and my goodness was it slow. Yeah we had 4 in it but my old 1.3 Auto Micra would have out run it.  :laugh:

Found the 8v MK3 to be a nice drive in terms of leave it in 4th and just put your foot down a bit and it pulled. Find my 1.6 MK3 8v the same. The 16v does pull in 4th at 30 say, obviously quicker then the 1.6 but it still feels like you need to put it back into second to get it anywhere near potential.

Seems to be pull away and at 4k then it takes off.
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: danny_p on 11 April 2012, 00:09
wether it is fast or slow all depends on what your personal calibration of fast and slow has been set to. 

if you've only ever been in a trabant  it's going to be all powerfull and amazingly fast. usd to a supercar it'll feel like it's unbearably slow 
Title: Re: Is it just me or are Valvers rapid?!
Post by: stow1985 on 11 April 2012, 01:24
Just look at Hurdy's Polo 1.4T for example.

Producing something like 250bhp+ and running a 0-60 in 4.9 seconds..


http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=209696.410

Not really a comparison, only read his signature but looks like its highly tuned  :wink:

Well just read all 42 pages of this little beast, don't think you can compare it to a standard G3 16v  :grin:

Well I've