GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: gtid4z on 29 February 2012, 09:32

Title: Help with thermostat
Post by: gtid4z on 29 February 2012, 09:32
Hi all im new to the site and was after a bit of help,

I have a mk3 gti 8v, had to change the thermostat, my bro stripped it and I put it back together and it’s leaking,
Problem being he forgot where the oring seal went, does it go between the thermostat and the block or between the thermostat and the plastic housing?
Title: Re: Help with thermostat
Post by: thai-wronghorse on 29 February 2012, 10:10
The o ring should be between the thermostat and block iirc.
Title: Re: Help with thermostat
Post by: gtid4z on 29 February 2012, 10:37
Thanks for that mate,
That was where I put it so most likely to be the plastic housing iv ordered a new one from VW.
Title: Re: Help with thermostat
Post by: Rmachines on 29 February 2012, 18:46
Plastic housing  :grin:  Yea.....  sounds about right  :wink:
Title: Re: Help with thermostat
Post by: Dan_GTi8v on 01 March 2012, 13:34
on mine the o ring goes on top of the thermostat against the plastic housing. This is a 1.8t but I dont imagine the design is any different.
Title: Re: Help with thermostat
Post by: Bandit127 on 06 June 2012, 06:46
(Sorry for the necropost but posting this in case this thread is picked up by someone doing a search).

Did mine this weekend (8V GTI) and the o-ring was definitely between the thermostat and the housing, not thermostat and block as was stated earlier.
Title: Re: Help with thermostat
Post by: itavaltalainen on 06 June 2012, 08:19
Can only agree with Bandit, done a thermostat on my 2.0 once separately, another time changed the water pump.
You first put in the thermostat, then o-ring, then put the housing on.
Title: Re: Help with thermostat
Post by: thai-wronghorse on 06 June 2012, 09:41
Yeah that sounds right.
Title: Re: Help with thermostat
Post by: mrsaunders on 06 June 2012, 09:50
Maybe Thai was thinking waterpump to block at the time?
Title: Re: Help with thermostat
Post by: thai-wronghorse on 06 June 2012, 12:39
I think I must have been.  :embarassed: