GolfGTIforum.co.uk

General => General discussion => Topic started by: kahunajb on 30 July 2011, 14:16

Title: u281 Code Reader
Post by: kahunajb on 30 July 2011, 14:16
Just bought one of these for my mk3 gti 16v. There are 4 menus

1. Engine
2. A/T
3. SRS
4. ABS

I have read the codes for menus 1, 3 and 4 and they have come back no codes however 2. A/T is saying linking error.

My question is what is A/T? Is it Automatic Transmission which is why I am getting the error as mine is a manual?
Title: Re: u281 Code Reader
Post by: richw911 on 30 July 2011, 15:49
Yep
Title: Re: u281 Code Reader
Post by: *tell* on 30 July 2011, 17:03
is your car an auto?
Title: Re: u281 Code Reader
Post by: kahunajb on 30 July 2011, 18:16
Yep

Nice one that's what I thought.

is your car an auto?

No manual.
Title: Re: u281 Code Reader
Post by: Seanl on 30 July 2011, 18:52
was just gonna buy one actually, are they ok? Obviously you got no codes, but were you expecting any??
Title: Re: u281 Code Reader
Post by: daz veedub on 30 July 2011, 18:59
was just gonna buy one actually, are they ok? Obviously you got no codes, but were you expecting any??

worth having mate  :smiley:
Title: Re: u281 Code Reader
Post by: kahunajb on 30 July 2011, 19:20
Half expected one as idle has been a bit funny a couple of times on start up but ok today. Going to clean throttle body tomorrow. Only paid £23 off ebay so can't fault it really and I'm sure it will come in useful at some point in the future.
Title: Re: u281 Code Reader
Post by: Seanl on 30 July 2011, 19:31
Yeah its the one I have had on my saved searches for about 6 months now, gonna take the plunge in a minute though. Just my abs light is on so wanna check that really, and like mentioned by daz and yourself, its probably worth having and will come in handy at some other point I'm sure. Cheers,  :wink: :smiley:
Title: Re: u281 Code Reader
Post by: Deano2711 on 30 July 2011, 19:57
These are worth there weight in gold. I have a Vag Com cable but cannot get the bloody thing to connect to the car. Bought one of these from a fellow forum member and you just plug it in and scan.....brilliant  :cool: :cool:
Title: Re: u281 Code Reader
Post by: T_J_G on 30 July 2011, 20:04
They are good but nowhere near as good as VAGCOM
Title: Re: u281 Code Reader
Post by: Wayne on 30 July 2011, 20:26
Excellent buy, really pleased with mine., vag com can do a lot more however
Title: Re: u281 Code Reader
Post by: T_J_G on 30 July 2011, 20:39
You not got VAGCOM Wayne? You'll need it at some point!
Title: Re: u281 Code Reader
Post by: Wayne on 30 July 2011, 20:48
You not got VAGCOM Wayne? You'll need it at some point!

I have one of those fault code readers, does the job for me, Rhyso was kind enough to run vag com @ Combe plus helped me get to the bottom of a problem I was having.
Title: Re: u281 Code Reader
Post by: T_J_G on 30 July 2011, 21:05
A problem on a 1.8t well I never! :shocked:

Probs something to look into Wayne!
Title: Re: u281 Code Reader
Post by: Seanl on 30 July 2011, 22:15
Yeah but how much is the license for VagCom?
Title: Re: u281 Code Reader
Post by: Wayne on 30 July 2011, 23:37
A problem on a 1.8t well I never! :shocked:

Probs something to look into Wayne!


It is the cost tbh, from talking to Rhyso the cheap ebay ones are no better than the reader, proper Vag Com is a lot of money.