GolfGTIforum.co.uk
General => General discussion => Topic started by: Skred on 26 July 2011, 22:45
-
I had a search of my local cars, as im always on the scan when I saw this and heard "winter project" to restore but something doesn't quite seem right.
http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/1989-vw-golf-gti-mk-2/84704821#full-gallery-wrapper
This car has done 40,000 miles but it has no history except the last mot slip to verify its mileage at 37,500. It has had 8 owners over 22 years but with 40,000 miles they must've all been old and live within 2 miles of everything they know. The DVLA lists only one recorded online MOT after 2006 which doesn't help as its been off the road for a couple years anyway.
The guy reckons its solid underneath with only a little arch rust but even then it seems its had the roughest 40k miles.
Opinions?
-
I had a search of my local cars, as im always on the scan when I saw this and heard "winter project" to restore but something doesn't quite seem right.
http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/1989-vw-golf-gti-mk-2/84704821#full-gallery-wrapper
This car has done 40,000 miles but it has no history except the last mot slip to verify its mileage at 37,500. It has had 8 owners over 22 years but with 40,000 miles they must've all been old and live within 2 miles of everything they know. The DVLA lists only one recorded online MOT after 2006 which doesn't help as its been off the road for a couple years anyway.
The guy reckons its solid underneath with only a little arch rust but even then it seems its had the roughest 40k miles.
Opinions?
Wouldn't leave it tp rpt with mileage and wouldn't sell it for so little either.. I'd sort it out, but thats just me!
40k, 8 owners, give me a break.
-
It's probably done 1,040,001 miles.
-
It's probably done 1,040,001 miles.
impressive if it has! :grin:
-
I'm going to stick my neck out, and say that could quite possibly be the correct mileage... there are certain clues in the pics that point to a previously well looked after low mileage car, but, maybe it was an unreliable lemon? hence lots of owners, and low mileage...
Better pics would be great
Thom
-
The seats look like they have covered low miles.
-
Yeh, that was what I thought. It looks in general good condition but not 40k miles good. The interior looks clean and tidy from what I can see but 8 owners??
Whats worst is that I could never know if it is genuine or clocked so i could plough money into it and likely never see the cash back.
I think it may be a leaver, will probably wait for a more honest beast to come along.
-
I'm going to stick my neck out, and say that could quite possibly be the correct mileage... there are certain clues in the pics that point to a previously well looked after low mileage car, but, maybe it was an unreliable lemon? hence lots of owners, and low mileage...
Better pics would be great
Thom
The seats look like they have covered low miles.
Yes it's the seats that give some clue.
Probably a lemon with 8 neglectful owners! :grin:
-
It could well rust if its stored outside, the milage is only part of the story in the ageing of a vehicle really. If its not been maintained in good condition through its life it'll be in no better condition than a 140k car. hence its price!
-
Personally i would go for it. £400!!... although my seats look that good and my mk2 is now sitting on 144444 miles :tongue:
A lemon is only gonna have so many issues, if you know what your doing its a good project, do i spot laquer peal on the wing tho!? :sad:
-
I don't think it matters if it's done 40 or 140k with mk2s. As long as you pay what you think it's worth. Most mk2s don't have original engine, interiors etc etc.
-
Personally i would go for it. £400!!... although my seats look that good and my mk2 is now sitting on 144444 miles :tongue:
A lemon is only gonna have so many issues, if you know what your doing its a good project, do i spot laquer peal on the wing tho!? :sad:
this ^
if you have £400 spare then i would buy it! it will be a good project if the mileage is true.
-
It's £400, there is something wrong with, yes, the milage, i don't think so. Paint work is cack and it has some rust, that's probably why they want rid or some other genuine reason. I'd say go and atleast have a look, good turn out to be a bargain.
You say it's only done one MOT in 5 years..surely that's a sign that it's not covered many miles, atleast in the last 5 years.
Any way you could always make your money back breaking it..
-
All good points.... I suppose overall you can't go wrong at £400 notes and if it has only one 40k, it's done even run in yet! :grin:
-
probably swapped the seats somewhere down the line
-
probably swapped the seats somewhere down the line
Nooooooooooooo! :grin:
-
My car has done 180k and the seats look just as good. They are actually better as they have the plastic surround for the seat back lever :wink:.
Its cheap for a reson, go find out what that is :smiley:.
-
I see what you all mean. I suppose its a mkII gti so thats worth £400 anyway, especially in parts though its always a shame breaking a car. No history is the worst, not so much the damage but the engine doesn't run either so i wouldn't even know how good the engine clutch gearbox would be anyway.
I suppose I should do the 90 minute drive cos it could be alright.
Gotta love the unknown.
-
If that was a car with 140k on the clock at £400 you probably wouldn't bat an eye lid and think it was a good deal. Also, it might be being sold by someone who thinks it's just an old Golf, you may even get it for less that £400 if you box clever. Deffo worth a look if nothing else, what's the worst that can happen. :cool:
I've seen some sold on here for 5 times that that look worse. :laugh:
-
I just cant belive that after 8 owners its only done 40k
-
I think the clue is in the fact that it's got a running problem and he can't be 4rsed to sort it out. No tax or MOT likely, non-runner, well worth the £400 in my book.
You'll probably find that the running problem is the reason why it's changed hands so many times and done so few miles. Low mileage cars that appear to be bargains do crop up every now and then. Not all of them are "dodgy". I'd be more concerned if this was on eBay. He's just put it in the equivalent of the local rag - an excellent place to find a genuine bargain. :smiley:
-
Worth a shot at that money tbh. :smiley:
-
get the doc ref and do a mileage check on it personally believe its clocked, or very least had a clock change in its early life from vag
seats look good but angle taken hides the wear spots and doesnt show lower bolster.
miss matched steels 1989 G reg would have been early style steel wheels with the black centre, that one has a 1990 spec front wheel and an early spec rear wheel with driver trim.
where is the boot lock surround?
rear arch trim hanging off
no lower front spoiler.
serous laquer peel on the drivers side front wing
rot along the rear panel join.
but go have a look
-
get the doc ref and do a mileage check on it personally believe its clocked, or very least had a clock change in its early life from vag
seats look good but angle taken hides the wear spots and doesnt show lower bolster.
miss matched steels 1989 G reg would have been early style steel wheels with the black centre, that one has a 1990 spec front wheel and an early spec rear wheel with driver trim.
where is the boot lock surround?
rear arch trim hanging off
no lower front spoiler.
serous laquer peel on the drivers side front wing
rot along the rear panel join.
but go have a look
Good observations Rob, but here's what I see in this car, that make me think its a low miles car,
Number alignment on the clocks looks perfect for a car just about to click over to 41k ie, mileage not tampered with (I appreciate that it could have had a speedo head change)
I believe that the front No plate is the original dealer fitted plate, If I zoom in, it appears to have the same livery layout at the bottom of the plate that my car has.
The car still has the OE black textured body side decals running the length of the car (very rare these days! especially on the rear panel, the decals suffered from peel, were the waxoyl coming out of the tailgate drain holes would break down the adhesive.
Original dealer Decal still in the rear window!
Bumpers front and rear, are arrow straight, and both faded the same amount, pointing to be the originals, that have seen no action!
No plate mounting clips on the tailgate are still white in colour, as are the mounting clips for the tailgate plinth, there also appears to be zero rust around any of the clips, again very rare on a Golf tailgate
Door shut lines are impeccable
Seats, from what can be seen, still look very taught
No "yellowing" to any of the front lights,
No evidence of molesting
Faded paint is most likely the original, note then that the car probably has never been broken into, and lock guards have not been fitted
Bonnet has been painted, with the paint blended onto the wings, normal practice really..
Thom
-
Definitely worth checking out.